Mid Engined Corvette (possibly) Spotted!! - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
Hmm - that side view makes it look like a large Fiero....

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
I can now confirm, GM will be building a C8...

That is all I can say.
I can now confirm the 2020 corvette is Mid engine and one BADASS CAR...

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...ation-corvette

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO

Last edited by davhamm; 07-20-2019 at 02:53 PM.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:27 PM

Garage
Nice to see actual pictures - looks better in the 'flesh' although I think it has been glitzed up a bit too much (but I guess that is what Corvettes are all about).

I'd probably get the black trim around the rear intakes and the black section on the rear air foil painted body colour and I wouldn't want black wheels - too boy racer. The silver wheels in the publicity shots look nicer.

First Corvette I would actually consider buying. Bet it lands here North of $100K CAN though.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
That's a very safe bet.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:50 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Garage
Starting at 60K plus tax
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Nice to see actual pictures - looks better in the 'flesh' although I think it has been glitzed up a bit too much (but I guess that is what Corvettes are all about).

I'd probably get the black trim around the rear intakes and the black section on the rear air foil painted body colour and I wouldn't want black wheels - too boy racer. The silver wheels in the publicity shots look nicer.

First Corvette I would actually consider buying. Bet it lands here North of $100K CAN though.

Its starting at under $60k US you have to figure out how that translates.

What's a current Vette' sell for up there?

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
Its starting at under $60k US you have to figure out how that translates.
That's the problem - it isn't just a conversion rate applied to the US price.

I was looking at a Porsche Cayman GT4. The list price down there was around $90K. The dealers up here wanted $140K Can. when our dollar was about 0.73 of yours - that would convert to about $10K higher than the conversion should have been.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
That's the problem - it isn't just a conversion rate applied to the US price.

I was looking at a Porsche Cayman GT4. The list price down there was around $90K. The dealers up here wanted $140K Can. when our dollar was about 0.73 of yours - that would convert to about $10K higher than the conversion should have been.
Right that's why I said look at the price of a current 'vette. They are trying to keep it just a bit more than that - at least here in the States.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
A Stingray coupe with basic 1LT trim level, manual trans, no added options is $62,195.

Same car in the US = $56,995, or $72K Can. - Looks like we get a bargain in that case.

I'll look at the same comparison when the new one comes out.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
that white c8 they had on stage just popped over the red and blue colors.
if i could have one it would be white.
love the interior also.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage
I can't see dealers letting these go for $60k and they are probably going to jack the price initially
but like all corvettes, just be patient. The corvette is one of the top cars that is sold/traded in with 3 years, and you can have one for just about 50% of the cost, with less than 5000 miles.
https://jalopnik.com/you-can-now-buy...der-1790087037

With the listed HP and weight, I just don't see them pulling off the claimed 0-60 speed. Sub 500hp on a 3800lb car. The math just doesn't add up.

I don't see why they decided to add size just for storage. You don't buy cars like this for luggage capacity.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post

With the listed HP and weight, I just don't see them pulling off the claimed 0-60 speed. Sub 500hp on a 3800lb car. The math just doesn't add up.

I don't see why they decided to add size just for storage. You don't buy cars like this for luggage capacity.
Don't dismiss the advantages of having the weight over the driving wheels. My Fiero as able to do the 0-60 in 4.5 secs. when a front engine car with the same power to weight ratio struggled to get near 5 seconds. In this case though, I agree with you and am a skeptic - I'd ant to see a 'sub 3 second' 0-60 before I believe it.

As for luggage capacity, we Kappa owners certainly don't place that high on ur requirements! But it is disappointing that a mid engined version weighs more rather than less than a front engined Corvette. It really should be the opposite as you lose the driveline weight of the driveshaft and the transaxle usually doesn't weigh as much as a separate trans and rear end.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage
<----I'm pretty up to speed on the advantages of a mid engine RWD car at the moment. LOL

Maybe we are both wrong and it will break sub 4 second 0-60 times.

I agree, they missed the boat on the dimensions and size. That thing is huge.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:30 PM

Garage
Your Alfa and the various Lotus (Loti?) are the ideal for a lightweight sports car, though I doubt that your Alfa tests the adhesion limits - a friend that has one says that when you floor it it just goes without drama and much noise.

I had just taken it for granted that the new mid-engined Corvette would mirror the ideals of the McLaren F1 for instance (which, fer Krisake, uses a not very light V12 BMW engine yet tips the scales at 2500 lbs, Let's be generous and give some room for not using the really expensive lightweight composites etc. and say that it should be maybe 2800 lbs. It is actually too porky by 500-600 pounds over THAT! that doesn't impress me

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage
I like all the rest of you here have been following the release of the new Mid-Engine Corvette. An American Icon changes
after some 70 years as America's Sports Car. Challenged many times over by the early Cobra attack, then to the pony cars
Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc. The Ford GT early & late additions to the most recent all-American of I'll build something
bad ass to take on the Vette, enter the Viper.

Bang for Buck. You get what you pay for. Cheap. Fast as Hell. Run what you Brung. When... gas was cheap. Now gas is not
so cheap. However... Big block power, front engine, rear wheel drive is what you got right out the box from the factory.
Stop light to stop light burner, until it's not fast enough for us owners, I must " add " more of everything to feed my addiction
I feel the need for speed. The Corvette has seen many model variations, many motor combinations, upgrades galore over it's
life time as America's sports car.

US err USA against the World. Going against any of the Euro cars, when stacking up the stat numbers, our car was not up
to the standards against the World's best cars from the giants of the automaker world. Power, handling, braking, construction
and quality of materials used or not used, our sports car was gonna have to up it's game. Out on the track was where this
was proven for the Vette, and the Ford GT/Vipers when taking on Euro's best. Ferrari's/Lambo, Jags, BMW/MB/Audi, the
Asian anything, we will settle this by racing. The Corvette has proven it's metal many times over beating the Euro specials
at their own game, maybe. For less money too when compared to higher priced models from any of the Euro mfgs.

Now.. for something completely different. What do you mean the engine is in the back? Yup, no more Mr. Front engine V8
for our icon. Not to many American made cars have been mid-engine. It was un-American not to have a front engine V8
power plant driving you to parts unknown. With this latest addition to the Bow-Tie boomer from Detroit our icon is all new.
Short nose front end. No V8 there, that's for sure. Horsepower is always at the top of the list, check off the box on the order
form here, American's can not live without their horsepower. At less than 500 ponies this was not what we thought we were
gonna get with our all New Vette. BUT... wait if your order right now.. we'll double your offer, super size it. Give Detroit time
to work on it, add on much more power here, with maybe two more motor combinations for the new mid-engine layout.
A Z06/ZR-1 is soon to be in the works, followed by a twin-turbo something. Many articles from the experts expect this from
Detroit in the coming two years. Now the new Vette will be after the Ford GT out on the racing circuit and euro's too,
it's now a whole new ball game a like for like Hey we're all mid-engine now moment.
As this new model transitions from the showroom to the track it will be interesting to see where this
leads the new model and it's new icon updated status.

Not a supercar or even a hypercar just a plain old Chevy from Detroit,
that you can "buy" with a mark up of course from your local dealer. Bang for Buck.

Body style is pretty cool. Ferrari-ish 360( more on this later )/488 look, Ford GT like, Lambo sharp edges here and there,
smoothness of a MC 720, and yet different. Interior is jet fighter like in it's appearance, buttons & switches, screen displays,
kinda busy but hey it's all new to the guys in Detroit.

Give the boys time here, things will get better for our icon soon. Tweeks from the engineers, over the next 2 years will produce
a new icon in American automotive history imo. Less weight, more power, upgrade software, new this, better that, as there is
as of right now, no owner/racing development feedback of what they like or don't on this new model.
What needs improvement, what's ok to leave alone.
Then there is the feedback from the racing development of this all new model as it makes the racing circuit soon,
down to the showroom model that Slick Rob is trying to sell you the owner/operator can benefit from.
Expect costs to rise, with each new improvement & model variations.

$ 60K to start with for the push-rod base model NA to a double B1G Gulp DOHC 32-valve TT-GTS model of $120k+ maybe?
Somewhere in between these two, a $85K model for upgraded NA push-rod Bigger Block street ripper with options.

You're not gonna please everyone here when you change an icon, err culture with something that most here in the US of A,
that have grown up with this icon in American automotive culture in their lifetime. 70 years and now.. they change it.
Why change it, if it ain't broke in the first place?

*So sorry for my long post here members. When to a car show yesterday.
Got the fever. Pretty cool for 50+ cars/trucks, Hot as Hell out.

Dropped the top, burned my arm on the console, ( micro-fiber towel here moment ) fresh gas, few quick miles for
the car, quick back road there and bingo. This was from a thread here on Bring a Trailer Kappa, that had the same
amusement park I was scoping out for my grandsons visit on Labor Day weekend. Two birds with one stone err drive.
Checked out the amusement park, checked out the cars, photos/videos and got to make a top down cruise too!
Life is good. Did I smile enough? You bet I did.

Took some video, shot a few photos, got too hot, drove home, closed up the car, headed for a cold adult beverage and the A/C.
Mission Accomplished. Oh and the 360 Ferrari guy( mid-engine Vette euro edition) ... did a double take when he saw my Kappa.
Pretty sure he asked his lady friend, what the hell was that? Not that I can read lips here, but... looked like it to me!
Anyways.. the New Mid-Engine Vette is here. Like it or not, compare it to it's Euro counterparts or not. Sometimes change is good.
The new Vette will get better as newer versions will appear in the next few years of development. More power Detroit would be
my suggestion, less weight overall, I don't want it.. to be just like all the other euro models out there. This is our icon after all here.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 07-22-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Rip | - »