LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
Northrop N9MB Flying Wing Crashes

Yesterday, the Northrop N9MB Flying Wing...one of 4 1/3rd scale prototypes and the only one of the four still in existence, crashed in Norco CA yesterday killing it's pilot. I share this here as it happened a few hundred yards from my office. I've seen the plane both in flight and while it was on display at the Chino Planes of Fame museum. It was practicing for their annual airshow coming up in two weeks. If you're a fan of WWII aircraft, this is an irreplaceable loss and tragidy at so many levels.

News story:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-in-california

The Aircraft:
https://planesoffame.org/aircrafts/plane-N9MB

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Truly a sad day.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:27 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)

T ~ In hoc signo vinces
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear of this Robo. Loss of life to the pilot, crashes the last remaining version of the Fly Wing. The Bigger version the real deal Flying Wing.. was the front runner to the B-2 of today.

* I share this here as it happened a few hundred yards from my office... to close for comfort? Rut Ro.. pucker factor. Th Air Shows heat up this time of year.
Went to Andrews Air Force base couple of times. Saw the Warthog up close and personal like. 30mm Gatling Gun. Ye Ha.. I want one. F-14 Tomcats. 600 paratroopers landing on the field. On a more somber note here, I lost my dad in Navy plane crash, killing all aboard in 1968. Resting in Peace in Arlington.

Pax River has a good one, over the water from what I have heard. My dad use to fly out of Pax River back in the day when I was a young lad. Flew over our beach cottage in the summer waggling his wings as he flew by. Fredrick Airport has another one I saw. Traveling down I-70 west from Baltimore... a " Bone " a B-1 coming right at me. Scary sight. An F-117 just tooling around the friendly skies.

When I worked at the University of Maryland, we use to go to a restaurant, 94th Aero in College Park Airport. Old WW1 theme place. Nice buffet lunch all you can eat, good break from work on a Thursday. A great museum of aviation history too. The Wright Brothers, yes those guys taught army pilots how to fly this new fangled contraption. The have/had a restoration section I peaked in on while I was there. P-51 completed. Looked sharp, almost brand new. I think they were working on two other favs of mine. P-38 Lightning. Always loved that plane. The other one was odd. I think it was a Vought F4U Corsair because of the crooked wing configuration.. it was completely apart at the time I saw it many years ago.

I don't have to go far to hear or see jets in action. When the Prez is up to Camp David near my place, couple of F-18 are.. always in a pattern around here.

Just last year I had an odd sighting, just a few hundred yards from my office, err home. In fact he landed his helicopter on my property for about 20 seconds, then did a 180 straight back to Hagerstown airport. I thought he was crashing sure did look like it to me. I have it on film somewhere in my collection. You just never know what will happen when you look out your window.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 04-24-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Garage
They released the name of the pilot yesterday. Turns out, there is a local Solstice Coupe owner I know on Facebook who autocrosses down in San Diego who was a close friend with the pilot. Just brings this a little closer to home.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in