User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Picasa pic posting - got easier

I just noticed a simple new feature on Picasa Web that makes it million times easier to post pics on forums.

Picasa is a desktop application and one of the best simple (and free) editors around... its more about a simple workflow to pull in all your pictures, easily crop and modify, and indicate only those that seem worthy. Youve taken 432 pics of Mecca and not all are good, so you "star" the ones you like making it easy to select them all and post to the web. I can go through 100s of pics quickly, cleaning them up, cropping, and posting... in a very short time.

It also connects to the picasa web site, which is very simple to use and navigate.

Anyway.. more details on that later. Now on to the simple new feature (almost a "Duh, why didnt they have that before?")

So the one down side (previously) was getting the individual link of a picture to post on the web in a forum.

They had a "link" feature, but previously it would generate a page link, or a link that was wrapped in HTML... nothing to get just the image link. And you couldnt trust "right-click" image because that link would change.

the way I was doing it before was gettign the HTML wrapped image link and removing the extra code (front and back) to get the image URL.. a pain,

Anyway... the simple new feature makes the simple image link easily available.

On the picture image web page...

Look for this on the right side:

Click to expand. Change the thumbnail size to something larger than the default. The key difference now is to check the "Image Only (No Link) option

This will give a direct URL to the image

Simply copy:

and paste into Sky Roadsyer image pop-up

One remaining annouance is it doesnt remember the thumbnail size as you move from pic to pic looking for ones to post. Hit the drop down again.

Sky Roadster Image Sizes

A suggestion.. Sky Roadster forum defaults to 640 wide images. You can change that. Many are posting at 800, and the site will resize. To change:

1) Click User CP on the skyroadster menu.
2) in Control Panel, click Edit Options
3) Options.... scroll down
3a) You can turn off all image resizing by changing the Please select the resize mode or
3b) you can set the Maximum width before the forum will resize. Setting to 800 is a safe bet.

Yellow Sky Redline
Delivered: 11-17-2006
As of 10/16/2017: 79,000 miles and a GMPP tune
Tune back soon... resurrection is taking place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 12:05 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Garage
i left u a voice mail Mark..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:29 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I shudder to think what it must've been like if this is an improvement. Why not just use Photobucket? Once your images are loaded, you can just hover over them in the thumbnail view and a panel will appear with several sharing options.

Click on the box next to IMG Code, and a blue message will appear saying 'Copied.'

Then you just go into the post you're writing and hit CTRL-V (or right click and select paste) to paste the code where you want it to appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
I shudder to think what it must've been like if this is an improvement. Why not just use Photobucket? Once your images are loaded, you can just hover over them in the thumbnail view and a panel will appear with several sharing options.

Click on the box next to IMG Code, and a blue message will appear saying 'Copied.'

Then you just go into the post you're writing and hit CTRL-V (or right click and select paste) to paste the code where you want it to appear.

Picasa is a Desktop Application first... editor, cropper, workflow (free)
Photobucket is just the web.. (as far as I know)

i admit.. it was a gross oversite on Google's part to not have that. But the other features of the desktop dealio far outshine its one or two small negatives.

Reed... how are you organizing your pics on your computer?
When you take 100 pics, and only 50 are really good... how do sort them out?
When you have a great pic, but it would be better if you cropped out the edges... ?
What if a good shot wasnt focused properly... how ya focusing?

Just curious.. picasa does all that and seemlessly integrated to the web site.

Yellow Sky Redline
Delivered: 11-17-2006
As of 10/16/2017: 79,000 miles and a GMPP tune
Tune back soon... resurrection is taking place.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:55 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I just dump 'em all in folders by event or subject, then break out Windows Live Photo Gallery for the limited amount of editing and cropping I do. Once I've gone through them the Photobucket bulk uploader makes quick work of posting them to the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in