3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Tesla Roadster!?!

Jeeeeezzzzuuuussss look at the numbers on this car. 0-60 in 1.9s and a top speed of 250!!! Not a fan of the look though.

https://www.tesla.com/roadster/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Incredible. I think it looks really nice though! If I had that kind of money (which I don't), I'd certainly consider it!

2008 Sky Redline (Red)
New to Me in 2016
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
It is impressive, and Mr. Musk is usually pretty good at delivering on his promises when it comes to his cars' performance, but I really have to hold my opinion until I see he can reach these figures because they are just incredible. 600+ miles on a charge? That's what, double the P90? And those figures? Maybe it's a weight issue and this car weighs less than the P90?
44thSKY likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
It is impressive, and Mr. Musk is usually pretty good at delivering on his promises when it comes to his cars' performance, but I really have to hold my opinion until I see he can reach these figures because they are just incredible. 600+ miles on a charge? That's what, double the P90? And those figures? Maybe it's a weight issue and this car weighs less than the P90?
Well keep in mind, no engine, all wheel drive, and no transmission delay. It brings to mind the electric hotwheels cars except only bigger.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Crazy! As I saw that 0-60 time, I wondered how fast our body would be able to withstand at 1.9 seconds and how many G-force that would represent. So I Googled this question: "how many G force would occur on a 1.9 second zero to 60 mph acceleration?"

I chose this link: https://jalopnik.com/the-fastest-0-6...ive-1792093851 The link is very informative with a lot of analysis.

There really isn't a problem in survival, and further more it seems we can withstand short bursts of up to 45 G's but even better to think of G-force in the 30.0G range maximum. It is estimated the Tesla Roadster would give us a G-force at 0-60 that would be short of a Top Fuel dragster which 0-100 mph exerts a 5.3 G-force. Tesla's 0-60 mph G-force would be short of the Top Fuel dragster.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
Crazy! As I saw that 0-60 time, I wondered how fast our body would be able to withstand at 1.9 seconds and how many G-force that would represent. So I Googled this question: "how many G force would occur on a 1.9 second zero to 60 mph acceleration?"

I chose this link: https://jalopnik.com/the-fastest-0-6...ive-1792093851 The link is very informative with a lot of analysis.

There really isn't a problem in survival, and further more it seems we can withstand short bursts of up to 45 G's but even better to think of G-force in the 30.0G range maximum. It is estimated the Tesla Roadster would give us a G-force at 0-60 that would be short of a Top Fuel dragster which 0-100 mph exerts a 5.3 G-force. Tesla's 0-60 mph G-force would be short of the Top Fuel dragster.

They should call it Tesla's Vomit Comit.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

If memory serves, really well conditioned pilots with a G-suit can remain conscious up to 9Gs. Beyond that and they black out. It's one reason why governments continue to pursue pilotless aircraft...they can build a machine to withstand a lot more force than a human can endure.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Robo, the link above says this about the issue of well conditioned pilots with a G-suit:

The record for a human withstanding acceleration was 46.2g, which was experienced by an Air Force officer named John Stapp, who was strapped into a rocket sled. Perhaps he was trying to capture a road runner?

By the way, he’s also known for something called Stapp’s Law, which states:

“The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.”

Wheeeuuuuu!! (is that a word) LOL
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:22 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Seems like that little red 4-seater prototype is more like a sport coupe than a real roadster? Musk is now looking for a thousand pre-paid orders at a quarter million dollars each before starting production. Don't expect to see any of those on the road any time soon. And still waiting for him to put a person in his high tech new-fangled SpaceX rocket and blast him onto orbit. You know, like NASA did some 55 years ago with John Glenn.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
That Tesla is okay. However, I'm saving up for a Bugatti Veyron 16.4 SuperSport.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
The record for a human withstanding acceleration was 46.2g, which was experienced by an Air Force officer named John Stapp, who was strapped into a rocket sled. Perhaps he was trying to capture a road runner?
Damn!!!!! That is insane I had no idea they had tested up to those levels.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Taz

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
I dunno know about you guys, but I can buy a lot of other ultra high performance exotic cars for $250K and a Tesla would not be my first choice:

Musk announced that the new Roadster will arrive by 2020, and reservations for the Founders Series, limited to the first 1,000 customers, are open now at a price of $250,000 each.
For instance, a Ferrari Portofino:

HORNET1 likes this.

Last edited by Taz; 11-18-2017 at 06:54 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That Tesla's performance, if it turns out to be legit (and so far claims on the others have been legit) is way beyond anything you can get elsewhere for that kind of money. I mean you're talking sub-9 second quarter mile on street legal tires - and without any drama, you just press the pedal and take off faster than anything on the road. Me personally, I hate hippies, but I love technology - and if electric can do it better, then I'm cool with that. Plus when you're sitting in rush hour traffic the thing will just drive itself while you take a nap or watch YouTube. The future is awesome.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
Seems like that little red 4-seater prototype is more like a sport coupe than a real roadster?
My thoughts exactly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadster.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	97938  

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Sport pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Garage
I believe what us oldsters will miss is the sound of the muffler...no engine noise when stopped at a light. A new consumer will enjoy it...not us OLD PEOPLE. We expect sound...
Rusty Boltz likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in