A thank you to Martin with RPM Motorsports - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robotech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Garage
A thank you to Martin with RPM Motorsports

This weekend my girlfriend, Jamie, had to run out to Phoenix with her daughter to visit her older daughter driving her very modified Hyundai Veloster Turbo.

After arriving and picking up her daughter, she had a somewhat disconcerting encounter at a local store. When she drove the couple miles back to her hotel, her brake light came on. She called me and I told her in the morning to call me and we'd check it out. Come morning she found she had no brakes and a puddle of brake fluid under her driver's side rear tire. This is Saturday and no shops are open.

I reached out to Martin as well as some autocross friends of ours and both of them tried to find a shop open to inspect the brakes. Martin was out of the area but would be back in town Sunday.

He came in Sunday and opened the shop to inspect the brakes to find that the braided steel line on that side had a leak. The brakes were installed (by me) about two months ago (we autocrossed it in early June with the new brakes on) and at first we had a rubbing issue but I corrected that. Only the outside plastic sheath had been damaged but the stainless steel internal bracing was fine. Now, two months later with two trips to Vegas and back as well as local driving and the line breaks.

Well, a new line is in order so he has her car stored at his shop for the night and in the morning his hose shop (that built my return fuel line) will be building her a new line and getting her on her way safely.

I cannot say thank you enough to Martin for taking care of my girl when I couldn't be there. To me it speaks volumes that he would take time out to take care of this for us. I cannot thank the man enough. We would have been pretty stuck without him.
Rance Burker likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
To brake or not brake... is never the question. Outside of the ignition key, the most important part of your car. Not too many people would do that, open his personal shop on a Sunday, to help an out of town friend customer in need. In a non home town environment, after hours car problem, long way from home, with no known family related members to come rescue you. A fear every owner has at one point in time.

Be glad there are good people still out that go out of their way to help a stranded motorist get back on the road and home safely. Whether is be a dealer shop or just a local friend, your not going anywhere with crappy brakes. An unsafe prospect for any owner out there. Glad all is ok, and she gets to come home safely. Arrive Alive is the goal every time you turn the key.

LAC
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks LAC. It wasn't bad brakes, it would have been no brakes. Very dangerous.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Sure Robo no problem there partner. Yeah.. no brakes very dangerous... you don't say? Who needs brakes.... there are a useless add on by the mfg. Brakes.. were talking brakes here... I never use mine, they just slow my permagrin down. It's just electrical and fluids... Junior Johnson IIRC. No click.. now what the freak? Why that puddle wasn't under my right rear wheel, near the brake line connections when I went into the store... now I have a lake. Not a good thing, anytime anywhere you do see a puddle of some fluid under your car... but she did notice it. Then she called '" YOU " her mechanic of note... you did do her brake job after all was her first thought here, and it was tested on several occasions before her trip.

Never ever trust the notion that you can make it home, with a problem. Yes I can nurse this car home with _______ broken or leaking whatever. I have done it with good results, and bad.. like back up traffic while I push my car off the road. Oh the shame ... the Billy Bob roadside fix to get you home. Duc-tape this, wire tie that.. badda bing badda boom 20 miles later and the driveway is in sight.

She was in Phoenix.. which is a long way from your home. She gets to spend an extra night there, and what happens in Phoenix stays in Phoenix so I've heard. Why is she smiling like that these days? I'll leave that one up to you two....which now brings up this thought. Will she ever let " you " work on her car again? Will she " ask " for a warranty, parts and labor... and if she does while your working away in your garage on it, did she book another fight to Phoenix? Just for " fun " I personally like being in a random to me city with car problems after hours. Exciting but you and thankfully her had someone... to help you and her out this time. Maybe a personal note to Martin would be in order here. Something that he can post on the wall of his shop, as to his good deeds within the community and his shop reputation? You are a customer of his with the fuel rail purchase. Your GF is now a customer too... brakes? Who needs brakes they just slow you down on you return trip home. Home.. I made it back safely once again. Now that is a real deal permagrin.

LAC

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in