Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   General Off Topic (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Why am I doing this!!! (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f18/why-am-i-doing-90513/)

Sky4christ 12-28-2017 07:03 PM

Why am I doing this!!!
 
So I sold the explorer about a month ago, and decided I wanted an Saturn astra as my daily driver.
what I didn't know is that the production #'s of the astra were actually lower than the Sky (the astra in the US was only made for technically one year as in 09 they were just trying to sell off the 08's If I understood what I read correctly)
So I found one in Rockford Illinios and I'm going to pick it up this weekend (its supposed to be -6 there on saturday so I'm going to die since I'm a florida boy) But at least I'll die owning to satur-opels :lol:
flying up on saturday and driving down saturday/sunday, I hope to pass by many skys in their garages where they should be in this weather.
Intend on passing by, Chicago, Indy, Nashville, and ATL.

davhamm 12-28-2017 07:27 PM

You are nuts.

I have heard parts for those cars are hard to find and expensive as it is an opel and did not come from the GM parts bin, so most parts are pretty much unique to it.

I hope you did your homework before hand.

Robotech 12-29-2017 10:30 AM

You crazy Hydro Blue guys always needing something unique...LOL ;)

Seriously though, I see very few of the Astras on the street and that would explain it. The Sky was supposed to be the flagship of the "new" line of Saturns...really all just rebadged Opels...and the Astra was part of that "new" Saturn lineup.

Rusty Boltz 12-29-2017 02:52 PM

I had to Google that one. :huh: Good luck with it.

ChopTop 12-29-2017 04:18 PM

As far as I know Illinois uses road salt, so you may want to get it inspected when you get home and possible check into some anti corrosion treatment if available. I have to replace my 97 Cherokee due to road salt and all the Jeeps I've been looking at have been in southern states. Though the downside of looking for vehicles in southern states is that older vehicles usually have very high mileage.

expostdelirium 12-29-2017 06:02 PM

Good friend of mine had an Astra. I loved that car. Didn't realize they built from GM parts. It was dependable as all get-out. He's a car guy, so he didn't have it long: that and he got changed jobs so he could afford a whole different league of car.

Have a safe trip. There's nothing like testing the car's mettle quite like driving it hundreds of miles home. Godspeed...

mstrjon32 12-29-2017 10:40 PM

I'm quite fond of the following generation of the Astra, especially the OPC. I've considered buying one a few times myself.

https://www.carsbase.com/photo/Opel-..._pic_99000.jpg

Good luck with the car.

HORNET1 12-29-2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky4christ (Post 1239737)
I found one in Rockford Illinios and I'm going to pick it up this weekend (its supposed to be -6 there on saturday so I'm going to die since I'm a florida boy)

Don't plan on wearing your flip-flops up there in Illinois. Be safe :thumbs:

Robotech 12-30-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstrjon32 (Post 1240042)
I'm quite fond of the following generation of the Astra, especially the OPC. I've considered buying one a few times myself.

https://www.carsbase.com/photo/Opel-..._pic_99000.jpg

Good luck with the car.

Oh, I like that a lot.

ChopTop 12-30-2017 12:11 PM

Astra wheels on a Kappa.
https://i.imgur.com/zKwmzHf.jpg

marlboromike 12-30-2017 01:45 PM

The wheels are UGLY

mstrjon32 12-30-2017 07:09 PM

They look really good on the Solstice, don't know if they would look so nice on the Sky, though.

Sky_Pilot 12-30-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky4christ (Post 1239737)
So I sold the explorer about a month ago, and decided I wanted an Saturn astra as my daily driver.
what I didn't know is that the production #'s of the astra were actually lower than the Sky (the astra in the US was only made for technically one year as in 09 they were just trying to sell off the 08's If I understood what I read correctly)
So I found one in Rockford Illinios and I'm going to pick it up this weekend (its supposed to be -6 there on saturday so I'm going to die since I'm a florida boy) But at least I'll die owning to satur-opels :lol:
flying up on saturday and driving down saturday/sunday, I hope to pass by many skys in their garages where they should be in this weather.
Intend on passing by, Chicago, Indy, Nashville, and ATL.

FWIW, I have two Saturns, one is, of course, my Sky Redline, and the other is a 2003 Saturn LW300. I have 170k on my LW300 and it's still going strong and my DD and I am still averaging 24 mpg with its 3.0 V6. The LW has been the most reliable and trouble free car I have ever owned. So if you like the Astra, go for it regardless of the board's naysayers, or maybe that's bored naysayers.

GJinNY 12-31-2017 11:59 AM

If the Astra has an ECOTECH engine......GO FOR IT

davhamm 12-31-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJinNY (Post 1240233)
If the Astra has an ECOTECH engine......GO FOR IT

Only one engine was available: a 1.8 L U18XER inline-4-cylinder gasoline engine with variable-valve technology producing 138 hp (103 kW)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ront_right.jpg

expostdelirium 12-31-2017 08:51 PM

Love the wheels on the Solstice. The Solstice is growing on me.

As for the pictured Astra, it looks great. I don't know how much it sells for, but there are other great looking hot hatches out there. Mazda ones look like that to me. For utility's sake though, I want 5 doors...

Sky4christ 12-31-2017 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got it home and it was a fun drive love the rain sensing wipers and there are so many quirks, 5 points to the first person to go test drive one and tell me how the cruise control works. I know now but it is different than I was used to. No googling!

mstrjon32 01-01-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky4christ (Post 1240281)
Got it home and it was a fun drive love the rain sensing wipers and there are so many quirks, 5 points to the first person to go test drive one and tell me how the cruise control works. I know now but it is different than I was used to. No googling!

Is it not just a standard system with the rocker switch at the end of the stalk?

mstrjon32 01-01-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expostdelirium (Post 1240274)
As for the pictured Astra, it looks great. I don't know how much it sells for, but there are other great looking hot hatches out there. Mazda ones look like that to me. For utility's sake though, I want 5 doors...

When I was at the Frankfurt Auto Show a few months ago I looked at all of the hatches. I still think the Opel is the best looking, but the overall winner in my eyes is still the Mazda3--handsome design, lots of interior space, very clever layout, very high quality fit and finish, and excellent driving dynamics, if not somewhat underpowered.

Looking at photos and reading about it, I thought I would really love the new Honda Civic hatchback, but it was really uncomfortable, the interior was low quality, the stereo system was incomprehensible, and the shifter feel was shockingly poor, I used to own an old Jeep that had more positive shift feel. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but based on first impressions it's amazing that a brand new car could compare so poorly to the much older Mazda.

My other old favorite was the previous generation Renault Megane, but the new car just looks odd and I think they've taken a big step backwards with the interior. It's a real shame because the old car looked great, especially the Renaultsport models.

expostdelirium 01-01-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstrjon32 (Post 1240290)
When I was at the Frankfurt Auto Show a few months ago I looked at all of the hatches. I still think the Opel is the best looking, but the overall winner in my eyes is still the Mazda3--handsome design, lots of interior space, very clever layout, very high quality fit and finish, and excellent driving dynamics, if not somewhat underpowered.

Looking at photos and reading about it, I thought I would really love the new Honda Civic hatchback, but it was really uncomfortable, the interior was low quality, the stereo system was incomprehensible, and the shifter feel was shockingly poor, I used to own an old Jeep that had more positive shift feel. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but based on first impressions it's amazing that a brand new car could compare so poorly to the much older Mazda.

My other old favorite was the previous generation Renault Megane, but the new car just looks odd and I think they've taken a big step backwards with the interior. It's a real shame because the old car looked great, especially the Renaultsport models.

I have an 07 Mazda 3 wagon. I plan to drive that thing til the wheels fall off. For what it cost to buy, for what it costs to run it, its utility, and for the fun of it, there's not really a daily driver I'd rather drive right now. Sure, it's starting to show its age - but I have now reason to get a different one. I completely agree with you on Honda's offerings: I wouldn't ever have another Honda, AND that Megane (like 2012 gen?) was gorgeous. That's a car I'd have if I lived in Europe.

Sky4christ 01-01-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstrjon32 (Post 1240289)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky4christ (Post 1240281)
Got it home and it was a fun drive love the rain sensing wipers and there are so many quirks, 5 points to the first person to go test drive one and tell me how the cruise control works. I know now but it is different than I was used to. No googling!

Is it not just a standard system with the rocker switch at the end of the stalk?

Yup you're correct. I have just never seen that setup in a car before. Is that a European thing? Most cruise controls I see on cars here are on the steering wheel.

Sky4christ 01-01-2018 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HORNET1 (Post 1240050)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky4christ (Post 1239737)
I found one in Rockford Illinios and I'm going to pick it up this weekend (its supposed to be -6 there on saturday so I'm going to die since I'm a florida boy)

Don't plan on wearing your flip-flops up there in Illinois. Be safe [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif[/IMG]

I wish I would have read this before I left. My toes were freezing in my flip flops. J/K. But man -1 degrees how do you northerners survive that every winter. That was crazy, so glad to be back in fl
Attached is a pic of me being dumb and getting a peppermint milkshake up there next to a pole of snow. WAY TOO COLD for that. Haha.

mstrjon32 01-01-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky4christ (Post 1240402)
Yup you're correct. I have just never seen that setup in a car before. Is that a European thing? Most cruise controls I see on cars here are on the steering wheel.

Pretty much all of the European brands have a similar arrangement. But you're right, now that I think about it, many of the more recent American cars I've driven have buttons on the steering wheel. I feel like it wasn't that long ago (80's, 90's) that American cars had the control on the stalk as well, though it wasn't a rocker switch, it was more of a switch you pushed in towards the wheel to set, and pulled out to cancel.

davhamm 01-01-2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky4christ (Post 1240402)
Yup you're correct. I have just never seen that setup in a car before. Is that a European thing? Most cruise controls I see on cars here are on the steering wheel.

Uhm, no just old school. back when you did 3 things with a steering wheel, turn right, turn left, hit the horn. All the controls were on the stalks. LOL Here I thought GM had just gone and done something stupid.

Robotech 01-02-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopTop (Post 1240121)
Astra wheels on a Kappa.
https://i.imgur.com/zKwmzHf.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlboromike (Post 1240130)
The wheels are UGLY

I actually like them on the Solstice. They look good. MM, you just don't like them because they aren't shod in whitewalls. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstrjon32 (Post 1240289)
Is it not just a standard system with the rocker switch at the end of the stalk?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky4christ (Post 1240402)
Yup you're correct. I have just never seen that setup in a car before. Is that a European thing? Most cruise controls I see on cars here are on the steering wheel.

My 2004 GMC Sierra is like that with the cruise control on the turn signal stalk. I always get lost for a moment when I go from driving my Sky to driving the truck and looking to set it. LOL Either that or I'm just getting old.

Windancer 01-03-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky4christ (Post 1240409)
But man -1 degrees how do you northerners survive that every winter..

That's a warm winter day where I come from :grin: I used to live in the heart of the Canadian Prairies where it's not uncommon to have 3 week stretches of -40C or -40F weather and that is before the wind chill. Trust me NO FLIP FLOPS!!!! Do you even know what a Block Heater is?


Terry
:cheers:

Rusty Boltz 01-04-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windancer (Post 1240761)
That's a warm winter day where I come from :grin: I used to live in the heart of the Canadian Prairies where it's not uncommon to have 3 week stretches of -40C or -40F weather and that is before the wind chill. Trust me NO FLIP FLOPS!!!! Do you even know what a Block Heater is?


Terry
:cheers:

If I recall correctly, the point at which the Celsius and Farenheit scales coincide.

copdriver91 01-04-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz (Post 1240978)
If I recall correctly, the point at which the Celsius and Farenheit scales coincide.

That would be correct and minus 18 C is 0 F


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome