Will GM's "Corvette Brand" be the new Pontiac? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Will GM's "Corvette Brand" be the new Pontiac?

Just in case some of you don't frequent the Solstice forum, here's a post I made over there after reading the latest article of Autoweek:

GM has confirmed to Autoweek that they will spin the Corvette off into its own brand. Is it, what would have been the Pontiac Divisions that I seen scratched on a piece of paper labeled "TOP SECRET - NOT FOR VIEWING OUTSIDE OF TOP OFFICIALS"? The paper stated that Pontiac was scheduled to return in 2017...2018 from back in 2010? But then the ignition issue hit...costing GM billions and ultimately changing a lot of plans GM had. Per Autoweek, "We know Chevy intends to leverage the C8 for greater profit than a midengine Stingray might generate on it's own. The division is planning a Corvette brand that will eventually include a sedan and a crossover...." This is the first I've heard of this new "Brand". Is it the reason why Ford has been rumored to be doing the same thing with Mustang? I've heard rumblings that Mustang will have a sedan, crossover, SUV and a "tuner version" of the vehicle as well. Back to GM. This is huge as I believe this is what could have been the Pontiac division coming back. This is exactly what was explained to me about Pontiac coming back. It was supposed to be a performance division. Instead it appears that GM is going to create a Corvette division. Interesting......

Last edited by The_Ghost; 08-25-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 05:49 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Yes- bring back Pontiac... and No - Corvette Division

The reintroduction of Pontiac is a lot more likely than us ever seeing a Vette SUV. Many of us would welcome the return of Big Chief; whereas almost nobody but some eggheads at GM and their cockeyed journalist friends think that Corvette producing a 4-door sedan would be a good idea.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Well...according to Autoweek, GM has already confirmed that Corvette will be a brand like GMC and Chevy are currently...and they will bring an SUV, sedan and CUV. Much like Genesis is with Hyundai....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Well...according to Autoweek, GM has already confirmed that Corvette will be a brand like GMC and Chevy are currently...and they will bring an SUV, sedan and CUV. Much like Genesis is with Hyundai....
The last I read about this is that AutoWeek quoted some unnamed sources at GM that said it had been discussed, but no one has been able to confirm anything. In any case, it wouldn't happen any sooner than 2023, and alot can change in three years.

This rumor shows up every time there is a major Corvette announcement, mainly because Bob Lutz once said he thought it would be a good idea.

Have you seen something more definitive than an AutoWeek rumor?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 08-25-2019 at 09:36 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
In any case, it wouldn't happen any sooner than 2013, and alot can change in three years.
2013? Maybe 2023?

Confused, as per usual, am I.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post

Have you seen something more definitive than an AutoWeek rumor?
The latest Autoweek issue on the Corvette said it was confirmed by GM. I quoted directly out of Autoweek.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
2013? Maybe 2023?

Confused, as per usual, am I..
Yeah, well, typing the wrong decade can cause a little confusion. I fixed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
The latest Autoweek issue on the Corvette said it was confirmed by GM. I quoted directly out of Autoweek.
Has there been an update since 19 July? This was written then:
Quote:
General Motors intends to leverage the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette for even greater profit than a midengine Stingray might generate on its own. The corporation is planning a new Corvette brand that will eventually include a sedan and an SUV or crossover, according to GM insiders. It will also create its second Corvette-based Cadillac sports car.

Executives at the C8 reveal in Tustin, California, including GM president Mark Reuss and Jim Campbell, vice-president of performance vehicles and motorsports, wouldn’t address either plan. But the executives did not explicitly deny them, either.

"I can't say anything one way or the other," said Campbell.

"Probably not going to see that," said Reuss.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
But then the ignition issue hit...costing GM billions. Ouch.. it's always something to change your plans a billion times over.

Having been a Pontiac owner many times over, seeing the Excitement Division wide track return to the GM fold would be cool, but...
rebrand the Corvette into it's own division, with a four door sedan, with an optional SUV/CUV comes with... costs. Billions, more or less.

Hell if Lamborghini can build an SUV with a V-10 motor in it, so can we err GM. The new Vette C8 will sell itself. Market it right with a cost of 60k and you have an alternative to the Euro alternative $$$.
The old.. G8 sedan was the next Vette option in the GM line up, until... Pontiac went the way of the dodo bird.
A big old SUV, Suburban/Escalade with ample power is imo the guideline for the carrying everything
you own when traveling. Replace with a Corvette motor and bingo whole new ballgame.

Stuffing an LS motor into anything, has been the ticket for many a car turner crowd, but... for the main stream public use maybe not so much, when momma hits the gas, kids off to school, grocery shopping done in flash, dog off the groomers,
THE hair appointment across town, I got this.. back to school to pick up the kids 0-60 times not available.

SEE: Top Secret here. It's Classified. I could tell you.. but then I would have to kill you. Leave the four door sedan & the SUV
market to their rightful place among the consumer market, the luxury market to the Caddy's... it's what they are good at.

Now if... you wanted an alternative to the cost of a new Vette, a small cost effective two seat roadster, with an optional LS V8 and
bringing back the brand, the name demise of Pontiac is all on the mis-management by GM many a year ago. Billions, plus the outstanding cost of.. the Prez salary, the multi VP's in charge of something... went out the window when one company, strike that two companies were... no longer to be... to save billions in the big picture for GM. Thank you American tax payers for helping us out here.

Keeping the Vette as is.. a sports car only. As a GT cruiser... Forget the four door option, ( Ferrari 812/ Porsche Panamera )
but hey we have to be just like every other mfg. out there. Sure we err GM will stuff a Vette motor into anything you the consumer wants, for a price.

* Sorry for the rant guys... went for a lovely drive yesterday. Found 2 Kappa approved roads sort of by accident, touring the Backroads of Washington Co. in a pre-survey Go-Pro/U-Tube run to refresh my memory to an area I hadn't been to in a while.
What fun... boy did the Kappa attract attention too!

With the you have seen one Vette, you have seen them all odd C7 orange Vette wondering off in another direction,
the lady driver hugging my bumper in the mini-SUV unaware of rear ending the totaling your Sky moment on her feeble mind, to the big Beamer 7 series I think to.. another Saturn, an Astra LZ with a fart can muffler, with Maine plates/maybe Idaho IDK...
the day was pure fun. Nice weather, fun roads to drive, a few hours off the farm put the grin back on my face for sure.

I planned this run to an event at Fort Fredrick State Park, a circa 1756 historic fort along the frontier.
I'd never been to the place, so what the hell, might as well. The run started off with a brain fart of mine,
forgot my camera and phone! So much for that idea.
Then the detour changed plans again. Out the window... time for plan B. I'll get there.

I had no time frame yesterday stretching its legs to drive my baby. Went to far end of the county to the C&O canal, Dam #4.
Cool ass road to get there. Beautiful scenery, interesting facts about the canal construction.
20 minute stop, missed the photo op. Will return again soon. Off to the Fort was nixed when I saw the parking lot was full.
So much for that idea. Will return soon mid-week. Memory refreshed.

The big Beamer followed me for awhile after passing the fort entrance, think the driver was trying to figure out what
the hell I was driving, he had no clue.

The Astra kid.. wabba wabba, then looks in his rear view mirror, Rut Ro a Sky Redline... no more wabba wabba for me…
I laughed. 2 1/2 hrs. round about plus 100 miles... going back to these two places soon, for Go-Pro stuff
before posting this years addition to LAC Films U-Tube. 6 vids.. for your enjoyment.
I had fun making these runs, and you will see what I am talking about here, hard to describe in words,
text typed in my babble. Vids are worth a 1000 words.

Somewhere down the line, in oh mid winter when the cold wind blows, the snow is above
the wheel wells, I can relive these moments of joy while waiting for the weather to improve again for next seasons roads
to explore more fun in my Sky.

The hunt for more roads to drive here in Washington Co. continues for me.
After tracking my path on special map I have created of my travels here..
I see an area on my county map where there are no red lines marked.
I must investigate this section of the county further for next seasons additions to LAC Films.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 08-26-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Ofcoarse I have to edit.. my post, always do. PITA
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Garage
God I hope they bring back Pontiac. The line was starting to head in the right direction but too little too late. They had the Solstice, the G8 was doing okay considering GM wasn't heavily advertising it (though compared to the Chevy SS the G8 had a media blitz) and the talk from Lutz was the G6 was going to be redone on the Kappa platform to be a front engine, RWD hot hatch.

I just don't see Corvette being a decent spin off. SUV? Sedan? What do they call the Corvette now? The C8 from Corvette? Pontiac makes a bit more sense if that's the route they're going to go.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
God I hope they bring back Pontiac.
Yeah, I miss that Aztec
Windancer likes this.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
Yeah, I miss that Aztec
No worries, keep shooting...I'm sure your aim will get better...
Windancer likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I miss that Aztec
I and many many people who actaully owned the Aztec, loved it and would buy another one. Look at its profile, its the same as any of the 100's of mini SUV/CUV crap on the road today, but it was a great vehicle in its day.

For the record, I know NOTHING on this topic, but I do know GM management has done many dumb things in the past. A Corvette "brand" that would be one of the Dumbest ideas yet... which probably means it's true. UGH

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:19 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I miss that Aztec
Yes, I miss our Aztek, to bad the insurance company totaled it, to bad the airbags went off and broke the windshield. Too bad it was one of the best cars we've ever had.

It was ugly, but it was a really good set of wheels.

R.I.P.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Honestly, I really want an Aztek, do a 3800 series II L67 (highly modified) swap, lower it a bit and have a blast with it. All that power, AWD, and an Aztek that would spank many of the cars on the road today with all that functionality. I always said the Aztek was a collection of some of the most functional features put into a very ugly package.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:54 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Bring back Pontiac! Don't mess with Bowling Green.

Speaking of the Aztec hunchback . . .
remember that weird thing
VW produced for the US market
back in like 1973-74?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1973vw.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	105681  

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in