Will GM's "Corvette Brand" be the new Pontiac? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
Speaking of the Aztec hunchback . . .
remember that weird thing
VW produced for the US market
back in like 1973-74?
That was a "Thing", or VW Type 181. An updated version of the WWII German army Kubelwagen.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Speaking of bringing brands back, I think the Saturn brand would be a good option. They had won car of the year, and safety awards just before ending that brand.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:45 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
That was a "Thing", or VW Type 181. An updated version of the WWII German army Kubelwagen.
My Dad bought one of those "Things" back in the day. It didn't last long in our midwestern, Wisconsin winter, though I will admit that the gas heater did manage to keep your right ankle above freezing, maybe. The rest of the interior was ambient temp at best.

That car had NO redeeming features, none at all.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
remember that weird thing VW produced for the US market back in like 1973-74?
THE THING, it was very strange looking...….. Sorry John I answered before reading everything.

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Garage
Having owned 3 Vettes, I would be highly pissed to see what was supposed to be the top of the performance level of US cars being turned into a SUV. The idea, if for real would destroy the Cadillac sales or vice versa. Dumb idea and I think would make past owners upset. Of course just my opinion.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Having owned 3 Vettes, I would be highly pissed to see what was supposed to be the top of the performance level of US cars being turned into a SUV. The idea, if for real would destroy the Cadillac sales or vice versa. Dumb idea and I think would make past owners upset. Of course just my opinion.
Didn't even think about that but yea, doing a Corvette brand would be either reducing the prestige of the "Corvette" or competing with Caddie.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Detroit doesn't care about past owners.

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 PM

Garage
I think as air bag sensor owners, we all know that. lol

I wish they would have used duct tape, both of my repairs have failed. Pure junk, I honestly will never buy another new GM product.

The replacement tape on one expired by three days. No replacement.

Just turned in a 2017 Volt, pretty good car, and getting ready to turn in a GMC Canyon All Terrain. The only thing about the All Terrain claim is that it can get stuck on any terrain. Pure junk as an off road vehicle. Vehicle sometimes stalls when you step on the gas, but everything is perfect. Waited almost 6 months for a replacement tail light assembly. It filled 1/4 of the way with water.

Toyota, Toyota from now on.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Reviving the names from the old days of Oakland / Pontiac 1926.. would be fun to see regardless of the Brand Corvette.

GTO.. LeMans, Catalina, Tempest, Firebird, Grand Prix, Grand Am.. the Fiero, Bonneville many classics with what was back then
horsepower to boot. 389, the 345 Tri-power, 400 with Ram Air, SD 455.. ye ha. The 151 cubic inch L4 and the 301 cubic inch V8
were the last two engines designed solely by Pontiac. I had the 301 version in my Formula, with 4 bbl, 4 speed. Added ram air...
plus this might attract our attention: a Pontiac first- a turbocharged V8, for the 1980 and 1981. Hmmmm
Those last additions, the numbers game G8/G6/G5 as I call it was shameful to these classic by Pontiac.

Pontiac.. the first car/name I ever remembered when I was a young lad 4-6 yrs old days gone by.
My dad had a 56 two tone Star Chief, what a beast. I forget the motor V8 maybe of that thing... big enough for the whole family
and then some. MPG who the hell cared back then, gas was really cheap. 4,000 lbs. car... crash worthy
built of steel/iron not the light weight material we now see for mpg, so common among the mfg's. of today.
My dad traded it in on.. a Chevy Impala SS in 63. In 1964 we as a family went around the USA, in a Chevrolet
The old Dinna Shore commercial...

No computers... that's right, no help what so ever... No ABS.. traction action control, AM radio only.. lucky you
got power windows, or a lighted glove box... cupholder my ass. A/C was new... now days, we want err need everything.
More stuff to go wrong & repair $$$ plus the added weight. Safety is now the norm here.

Body cladding... enuff said. John DeLorean like I said enuff. Bob Lutz... James Gardner ( One of my favs ) the J-turn, Rockford Files.
Smokey and the Bandit, Burt R.I.P. Trans Am to the last...

2009... Pontiac was fading due to it's financial woes.. many other car makes were on the GM chopping block in those dark days.
On December 2, 2008, General Motors announced that it was considering eliminating numerous brands, including Pontiac,
in order to appease Congress in hope of receiving a $25 billion loan.
On February 17, 2009, GM proposed the elimination of its Saturn division, the sale of Saab, and either the sale or elimination of
Hummer, depending on whether a buyer could be found quickly.
Pontiac also became the ninth North American automobile brand since 1987 to be phased out...

And the rest as they say.. is history. From the Oakland brand 1909 ish to Pontiac 1931 to 2010 is was a long history.
Saturn brand... hell drop in the bucket when compared to the brand, name and history of Pontiac.

LAC
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Lets not forget that those were gross hp numbers, not net. I did always wonder how the turbo trans am drove though...never heard good things aboht it and obviously it didnt last long.

Even through the 90s the brand was pretty strong. I loved the grand prix and firebirds, and to be honest I like the Aztek too.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockchops View Post
Lets not forget that those were gross hp numbers, not net. I did always wonder how the turbo trans am drove though...never heard good things aboht it and obviously it didnt last long.

Even through the 90s the brand was pretty strong. I loved the grand prix and firebirds, and to be honest I like the Aztek too.
I used to race my 1997 Grand Prix at an event at LACR that was called Pontiac Drag Days and we had a guy out there with the Turbo Trans Am...it could be super fast, or a dog. He never knew what car he was going to get. But he didn't daily it. It was a straight up drag car.

I wouldn't think getting it running well would be much different than the GN. Same engine.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:23 PM

Garage
Never heard of the GN being anything but fast. I have a friend that owned one. But never got to or wanted to race it.

He had a 1969 RS Camaro, a 327/350HP Vette and said the GN was way quicker.

I do remember that they were quite the sleeper/unknown when they came out.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I used to race my 1997 Grand Prix at an event at LACR that was called Pontiac Drag Days and we had a guy out there with the Turbo Trans Am...it could be super fast, or a dog. He never knew what car he was going to get. But he didn't daily it. It was a straight up drag car.

I wouldn't think getting it running well would be much different than the GN. Same engine.
I bet youre thinking of the trans am GTA which had the turbo 3.8. They made a short run in 1980/81 of the 301 (4.9) turbo v8, which was carbeurated. It was torquey but finicky and wrangled by emissions.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in