2010 Opel GT Driver side Big Mirror - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
I love the look of the normal designer Solstice mirrors and am young enough to turn my head. :-)
Now there is proof of young and dumb... Doesn't need mirrors cause he is gonna turn my head around to see if the lane next to me is clear. Mirrors with good coverage are a key safety feature.

Not sure what the point of your post is also. Why would you come on a thread about a part a lot of people are interested in and post that you don't need them.

Good for you, but others like the look and want the better vision.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO

Last edited by davhamm; 04-22-2019 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Needed to clear up my point, that only the young and dumb think mirrors with better visibility are a bad thing.
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Garage
Hey! I warned you if you did not have the passenger side, it would most likely not be a good investment. I wish I had bought more of the passenger side ones. I did buy two extra of these, so if down the road someone needs them, I will have them.
stungjoe likes this.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Hey! I warned you if you did not have the passenger side, it would most likely not be a good investment. I wish I had bought more of the passenger side ones. I did buy two extra of these, so if down the road someone needs them, I will have them.
Yep, you did indeed

I know the factory LH mirror is useless to me so maybe this won't be so bad if it's paired with a factory RH mirror.

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Of course you will notice it. But I doubt anyone else will. Hard to look at both of them closely. I thought about doing just the opposite on the NA I am working on. My other half needs all the help she can get backing up. Has ran into more things, cars, building and other things than I can count. I am sure I will put a back up camera stereo in it before lone. lol
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Of course you will notice it. But I doubt anyone else will. Hard to look at both of them closely. I thought about doing just the opposite on the NA I am working on. My other half needs all the help she can get backing up. Has ran into more things, cars, building and other things than I can count. I am sure I will put a back up camera stereo in it before lone. lol
The back up camera in my Grand Cherokee is in-valuable! Plus it's got that "stop the car if something's behind you" doo-dad (Crosspath detection}. That's what she may need most of all...haha

After replying to my post about the faded door panels I remembered I needed new speakers as well. I went back to Ebay and the seller graciously cancelled my purchase on the mirror. I had almost purchased a Source-One RH mirror year or so ago but didn't.

EDIT: Back to lurking for me and no more impulse purchases when I've been day drinking!

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!

Last edited by stungjoe; 04-21-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
Now there is proof of young and dumb... yeah at 90 mph down the freeway, gonna turn my head around to see if the lane next to me is clear.. Uhmm no.
I have my stock mirrors setup so that I can see completely around the car without turning my head. No blind spots in the lanes next to me. Just a quick glance sideways to make sure no one is directly next to me.

Even so I check over my shoulder before making a lane change. Takes a tenth of a second to glance over. If you don't have enough space in front of you and have not been looking far enough ahead of the car in front of you to know you have that kind of time to do a blind spot check, you are following too close or not paying proper attention.

I will agree the big mirrors give a LOT more vision and don't stand out with the overall look of the car. GM did a nice job on them. I still like the smaller mirrors better aesthetically.
mstrjon32 likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I have my stock mirrors setup so that I can see completely around the car without turning my head. No blind spots in the lanes next to me. Just a quick glance sideways to make sure no one is directly next to me.

Even so I check over my shoulder before making a lane change. Takes a tenth of a second to glance over. If you don't have enough space in front of you and have not been looking far enough ahead of the car in front of you to know you have that kind of time to do a blind spot check, you are following too close or not paying proper attention.

I will agree the big mirrors give a LOT more vision and don't stand out with the overall look of the car. GM did a nice job on them. I still like the smaller mirrors better aesthetically.
You seem to interpret the poster differently then I did. He seemed to imply he didn't need mirrors as he could look around. But also if your mirrors have good coverage so you have no blind spot there is no need to look around. Trust your mirrors.
Also if your not using your mirror (as the poster implied to me) you would be spending more than a tenth of second.

I'm not going to debate the benefits of mirrors that give better coverage. It is an interesting phenomena of the internet, where people feel the need to join a conversation about something they don't want just to say. I don't want them, that makes me better than you.

I mean could you imagine being at a party talking about the newest motorcycle helmet, and someone stops in and says motorcycle helmets those are dumb just drive a car.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
davhamm, any word from Chris Price on these?
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
davhamm, any word from Chris Price on these?
I don't have direct contact with him, just contacted him through his blog https://www.christopherprice.net/

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Over here people are taught to always turn their head, driving slowly in town or as fast as your car can go on the highway. Main reason is the dead spot in the mirrors and making sure nothing is next to you.

You will not pass your driving test, and never get a license, when telling the instructor turning your head is only for young and dumb people.
Cleared up my original post as many seemed to ignore the post I replying to. Of course you turn your head. I am pretty sure over there you also are required to have mirrors, Actaully as proof that these were made for the EU region, you are required to have mirrors that have much better coverage than US. So if you think you have blind spots (which with properly set up mirrors you shouldn't) In the US we have even bigger ones.

And for those who thing you should see the side of your car in the mirrors, here is the proper way to setup your side mirrors.
Side-view mirrors
To adjust the driverís side-view mirror, place your head against the left side window and set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the mirrorís right side.
To adjust the passengerís side-view mirror, position your head so that it is just above the center console. Set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the left side of the mirror. If the vehicle is not equipped with remove mirror-adjustment controls, you may need assistance when properly positioning this mirror.

https://seniordriving.aaa.com/improv...-your-mirrors/

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I agree 200%, too often a complete car/bike/bicycle/pedestrian is not visible in a mirror.
I would suggest you don't have your mirror's adjusted properly. Depending on the car (and I will admit to not know this on the sky) but you can get coverage so that you would never miss a full car.

Of course not sure how many other people go to a full parking lot and adjust there mirrors till they have full coverage? Or while driving down the highway, track cars that are either passing them or they are passing in there mirrors, and adjust the mirrors to maintain coverage.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You seem to interpret the poster differently then I did. He seemed to imply he didn't need mirrors as he could look around. But also if your mirrors have good coverage so you have no blind spot there is no need to look around. Trust your mirrors.
Also if your not using your mirror (as the poster implied to me) you would be spending more than a tenth of second.
True if you're not using your mirrors it would take more than a tenth of a second. Hence why I believe you should do both.

I'll also tell you that just "trusting your mirrors" is not enough. While riding my motorcycle I got hit by an SUV who was "trusting her mirrors". I wasn't sharing lanes, I wasn't following the car in front of me too closely. I have 8 hours of a day missing from my memory, a wrecked motorcycle, and a month of Physical Therapy because of it. So I may be a BIT biased about checking your blind spots even with the mirrors adjusted properly to clear blind spots.

Quote:
I mean could you imagine being at a party talking about the newest motorcycle helmet, and someone stops in and says motorcycle helmets those are dumb just drive a car.
I've actually had this happen.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 04-22-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:

Of course not sure how many other people go to a full parking lot and adjust there mirrors till they have full coverage? Or while driving down the highway, track cars that are either passing them or they are passing in there mirrors, and adjust the mirrors to maintain coverage.
Dave, you are going to get a kick out of this ....... remember the time a little while back ...... when we did a little language corrections and when you caught me ....... and I said "Game On"?

Here goes: For these sentence parts above, 1) "go to a full parking lot and adjust there mirrors" and 2) "either passing them or they are passing in there mirrors". Could we all conclude that "there" should have been spelled "their"? Oh yes, we often accuse the software for the incorrect changes, but that leaves the proof reading burden on ourselves, LOL.

Dave, now your turn to catch me ....... LOL.

Last edited by Robotech; 04-22-2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: must...fix...broken...quote...tag...so OCD of me...
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
Dave, you are going to get a kick out of this ....... remember the time a little while back ...... when we did a little language corrections and when you caught me ....... and I said "Game On"?

Here goes: For these sentence parts above, 1) "go to a full parking lot and adjust there mirrors" and 2) "either passing them or they are passing in there mirrors". Could we all conclude that "there" should have been spelled "their"? Oh yes, we often accuse the software for the incorrect changes, but that leaves the proof reading burden on ourselves, LOL.

Dave, now your turn to catch me ....... LOL.
No as I said then.. you were redundant and one of my pet peeves, trust me I was not catching a grammer mistake. I ain't got no good english. Do we have signature lines here, I think we do.. I need to update mine like I did on another forum..

Oh my mirror showed up today, well packed and in its own protective sock. Have lots of pics on phone, going to try and post from there, or their, or they're.
Just had this discussion with my daughter yesterday. I swear when they created the english language they, or thay set out to make it as hard as possible. Why is Foot and Boot not pronounced the same way..
44thSKY likes this.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:42 PM

So how much work is it to install a side mirror?

Wondering if its worth it to just put the black one on sometime for wifey to see if she likes it.

I hate pulling door trim, christmas tree fasteners always break.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in