Addition of roll cage/roll bars to our kappas will pass state inspection??? - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
40rty : Whats killing me is the braces their asking for going into the trunk that would requiee hacking up the trunk which im for it some days and others not. My car is strictly a play car.
Who is requiring rear braces ? Most specifications allow braces to be forward-facing. I don't much like the forward braces, and probably could not get into or out of the car with the top up, but they may be acceptable if they were removable.

Beyond hacking up the trunk you also just about have to eliminate the convertible top, as the required brace locations go pretty much through the top frame.

Another serious consideration to all of this is how tall you are. Most any roll bar installation will prevent the seats from being moved all of the way back, so tall drivers are really going to have problems.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Im 5'7" no problems here. All muscle though haha

2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks V8 Conversion- LS376 525hp 6.2L, TR6060 6-speed, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, DDMWorks Backbone brace, DDMWorks Pro Beam, BC Coilovers, Wilwood(Front)BBK, Norms Full Hardtop and Rear facia. Tuned on LS2Edit
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to RedSkyWV
I'm 6'2, only a 32" inseam though, I have a lot of torso and sit with my hair rubbing the roof as is. The hoop has to clear a helmet, and to do so I'd have to have no top on my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
RedSkyWV : I'm 6'2, only a 32" inseam though, I have a lot of torso and sit with my hair rubbing the roof as is. The hoop has to clear a helmet, and to do so I'd have to have no top on my car.
There is generally an exception granted (depending on class) that reduces the roll bar height requirement to the tallest bar that will fit within the factory top.

Your other alternative is to fit a racing seat for track days.

Also, if you have the adjustable height power seat you could swap it for a non-adjusting seat, which is a bit lower than the lowest adjusted position of the power seat.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkyWV View Post
I'm 6'2, only a 32" inseam though, I have a lot of torso and sit with my hair rubbing the roof as is. The hoop has to clear a helmet, and to do so I'd have to have no top on my car.
As JR said, they don't make you cut holes in the roof - but that is in regard to coupes. They can make you have a suitable height bar in a convertible even if that exceed the top height, in most organizations.

I had quite an argument with CASC/SCCA about my old TVR. My helmet almost touched the roof and the roof then dropped off sharply so that a few inches behind my head the roof line was below the helmet. They finally gave in as if they hadn't, they'd have had to have mandated chopping holes in a lot of closed cars.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 04-04-2016 at 12:11 PM.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Looks great but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKY888 View Post
been trying to go to RI website....but I can't find any answer.

i was just wondering if installing roll cage/roll bars to our kappas will pass state inspection?

*** actually my car in its current situation wont even pass state inspection already (i.e. tinted headlights/brake lights, dark tinted windows, no cat, no front plates, etc.) lol

I'm planning to have something similar to graywolf's car:

only have this:

As most know for the past 2 years I've been building my car to run the Texas Mile and although they don't give specifics they do say a qualified role cage. (SCCA). Although this one looks great unless a person is really short it wouldn't pass SCCA rules because the bar wouldn't be 2 inch above the drivers helmet. I started to build one but couldn't get the 2 inches and still be able to close the top. I have a hard top which has more room but I don't want to loose the rag top.
Any of you have any measurements you could shot me would be a great help.

Soon to be a LS3 but:
Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
How are you guys bolting the rear bar down since the floor pan is very thin material?

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in