Annoying Rattle From The Trunk Area - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
we had a squeaky rattle. When the roof sits in the back it rests on some holders and can bounce on these a small amount. We put some electricians tape in there and it stopped it. We had a similar issue with the hood squeaking and good old electricians tape cured that too. Hope it helps as these were two infuriating issues that were cured by this and made the car seem much more refined as a consequence.
So . . this Malvern Wells?

Malvern Wells is a village and civil parish near Great Malvern in the Malvern Hills District of Worcestershire, England. The parish of Malvern Wells, once known as South Malvern, was formed in 1894 from parts of the civil parishes of Hanley Castle, Welland, and the former parish of Great Malvern, and owes its development to the 19th century boom years of Malvern as a spa town. Malvern Wells is a centre of commercial bottling of Malvern water.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
I, too, had a noise once, turned out to be:
This does't look like it would work as good as the backseat in my old Malibu - bit cramped but where there's a will...you know the rest
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Seems to me that we've been down this road before. Wasn't it blamed on the Trunk Monkey?

Base 2.4
Chili Pepper Red
Ordered 3-28-06
Delivered 6-29-06
Sent to Mallett 2-21-07
Delivered 5-11-07 # 007 "Beast"
LS-2 400 HP
Magnaflow Custom True Dual Exhaust
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM

Had the same issue with the strike plate that Willie had, as a matter of fact he showed me one day way back when. The harded pin is pressed into the holder and there is a minute amount of movement between them. it's like they should have applied just a little bit more force when they pressed it in. I took them off and had a welder tack the pin to the plate (from the back side).
That fixed the clicking, but last year I started to hear a clunking, clicking noise from behind my seat and found the nuts that hold the top assembly in place against the frame of the trunk had worked loose and the assemble was rattling, I tightened them and the noise went away.....Now I did have my top assembly replaced about 4 years ago and maybe the tech didn't tighten them as much as he should have, but I would still give the nuts a going over.......Just a thought.

07Bluestone

Last edited by 07BLUESTONE; 05-25-2012 at 08:37 AM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

What was it?

Her name is: "Dream Catcher"

'09 R/L LE
Ruby Red Striped
3 pedels
Blk. Top
Kappashield w/Artwork by Danne De Backer
6 Disc Monsoon
Tons of Kappasphere stuff!
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry for awaking this old thread, but I'm trying to find the exact same rattle/noise that was described in the title.

My noise sounds like two hard plastic pieces rattling together. The noise is coming from right behind my right ear. The noise only occurs when the top is up, when the top is down, no noise. I've look through and found a loose cable and secured it but that did not stop the noise. Also if i press hard backwards against the seat, the noise will quiet or stop temporarily.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Umm.... I thought I recalled the cup holder to be a culprit of some noise in that area?

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 PM

Garage
I think I may have found it. Starting search for cup holder rattle on Solstice site and found reference to the large black plastic piece behind the seat. I think it is the plastic piece vibrating against a screw. I put fabric tape between them to see if there was any change. Can hardly hear it now, must be where it is. I'll try some felt to close it down completely.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krad1964 View Post
I think I may have found it. Starting search for cup holder rattle on Solstice site and found reference to the large black plastic piece behind the seat. I think it is the plastic piece vibrating against a screw. I put fabric tape between them to see if there was any change. Can hardly hear it now, must be where it is. I'll try some felt to close it down completely.
Pictures of exact location would help others here. Thanks!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:51 PM

Garage
Here is the other post that has photos.

Squeak with Top UP OR DOWN! - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:37 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
If the noise is occurring with the top down, then: Check the "saddles" that the alignment pins at the front edge of the top set into, when in the down position. Typically, this will be more of a squeak than a rattle. The OEM felt liner on the saddles wears out and there you go. Replace with self adhesive silicone tape.

If a rattle with the top up: Check the Tulip Panel behind the seats. With the top in the up position, a bar from the top mechanism rests against the edge of the Tulip Panel. The bar is wrapped with an OEM plastic tape. The tape wears out, and then the Tulip Panel will rattle against the bar. Replace the tape with self adhesive silicone tape, problem solved. (if it has been rattling for a while, it may have chipped the edge of the tulip panel as well)

Old thread but this absolutely worked for me! Five years tracking this down and this was it! Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank
Valley Forge, PA
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
On mine it was the seat belt guides. Rattled like crazy. A little silicone quieted them up good.
a280z likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in