Anyone removed clear trunk protectors? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Z-Sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Rome, Ga
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone removed clear trunk protectors?

My trunk clear protecters had a dirty line around them when I bought my Sky RL. Yesterday I removed them and cleaned the area and it looks great. My question is...looking at the area with the top up there doesn't seem to be any contact with the top and the trunk where the protectors were so why are they there? I'm sure it's to protect from getting a wear spot on the paint but it doesn't touch at all. Has anyone removed them and left them off? If so what happened? Thanks!
Z-Sky is offline  
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Parker Colorado
Posts: 4,142
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Ours were removed when the cars were repainted in 08. As you say, no contact in that area so no reason to replace them. Looks prestine.
Rob the Elder is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Welland, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I often wondered about that. I find it strange that the factory would go to the expense of installing protection in that area if it wasn't needed.
Sly Bob is offline  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:49 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
LeloSKYLANM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NM
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
I often wondered about that. I find it strange that the factory would go to the expense of installing protection in that area if it wasn't needed.
Perhaps a buildup of dust and grime underneath could potentially scuff paint.


Her name is: "Dream Catcher"

'09 R/L LE
Ruby Red Striped
3 pedels
Blk. Top
Kappashield w/Artwork by Danne De Backer
6 Disc Monsoon
Tons of Kappasphere stuff!
LeloSKYLANM is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:07 PM
GT!
Senior Member
 
GT!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I suspect there could be some rubbing under certain circumstances. I suggest just buying some 3m clear film and cutting it to size. Easy to install, inexpensive, and easily replaced/removed.

-GT
GT! is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 02:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I believe there is a video from a GM exec during an early Sky media presentation that addresses this, if I recall correctly it was the design of the top (and buttresses) that required the clear 3M stuff in order to protect the paint over time.

However, there are a couple things on this car that are kinda worthless ... including the little plastic blocks on the trunklid that I took off because they don't do anything...
tf02 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Welland, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
You mean the foam blocks the hold the top down when stowed?
Sly Bob is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
You mean the foam blocks the hold the top down when stowed?

I remember them being plastic, but yes, those stupid things that do nothing but make it harder to close the trunk.
tf02 is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sky View Post
My trunk clear protecters had a dirty line around them when I bought my Sky RL. Yesterday I removed them and cleaned the area and it looks great. My question is...looking at the area with the top up there doesn't seem to be any contact with the top and the trunk where the protectors were so why are they there? I'm sure it's to protect from getting a wear spot on the paint but it doesn't touch at all. Has anyone removed them and left them off? If so what happened? Thanks!
What did you use to take them off ? Mine are cruddy and I've been wanting to remove them but was concerned with the paint finish.
Ardie is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Buddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Brownstown, MI
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf02 View Post

However, there are a couple things on this car that are kinda worthless ... including the little plastic blocks on the trunklid that I took off because they don't do anything...
If you take the black plastic blocks as you say off your trunk lid you will be sorry on the next cold day when you pop the trunk to lower your top and the metal pins drag across your paint! They are there for a reason. If your top ears dont fold up all the way that is where the studs hit your trunk. i would think twice before removing them.

Buddy »»»REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Tinted side & back windows
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
Buddy is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
If you take the black plastic blocks as you say off your trunk lid you will be sorry on the next cold day when you pop the trunk to lower your top and the metal pins drag across your paint! They are there for a reason. If your top ears dont fold up all the way that is where the studs hit your trunk. i would think twice before removing them.
No, the plastic blocks I am talking about are on the inside.
tf02 is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Sky_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tf02 View Post
No, the plastic blocks I am talking about are on the inside.
Right, the trapezoidal shaped blocks. Mine are gone too. I didn't like the impression they left in the top.
Sky_Pilot is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
Right, the trapezoidal shaped blocks. Mine are gone too. I didn't like the impression they left in the top.
I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about
tf02 is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 10:41 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
MCW Sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
If you take the black plastic blocks as you say off your trunk lid you will be sorry on the next cold day when you pop the trunk to lower your top and the metal pins drag across your paint! They are there for a reason. If your top ears dont fold up all the way that is where the studs hit your trunk. i would think twice before removing them.
Are you talking about the lugs that lock into the trunk lid when the top is up? Those do not end up facing upwards or touching the trunk lid when the top is down - they end up down in the spot where there is no carpet on the floor of the trunk.

'09 RL Ruby Red Manual
3rd brake pulser-seq'l tail lights
Retracting motorized front license
HID low beam & fogs
3" Magnaflow
DDM Works - Charge Tubes,Cross Bay Brace,Tunnel Brace,Center Console,Fender Trim,Sway bars,Drilled Rotors,Hawk pads
MCW Sky is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
reedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Good lord. Here's what y'all are referring to.




Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?
reedred is offline  
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome