Attempting to buy a 2008 Saturn sky. - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Attempting to buy a 2008 Saturn sky.

I hope somebody can answer this question for me. I have the ability to buy a 2008 Saturn sky, an old woman owned it and the family is selling it because she is bedridden!
The car only has 3400 miles on it, yes 3400 miles! They’re asking 12,900. But my question considering that it sat and only got started for quite a bit a time over the past several years once every six months, do you think that the fields have a good chance of leaking or the cooling system not working? And do you think that is a fair price for that part considering it’s 12 years old but only has 3400 miles on it. My phone number is 949-290-6988
I would be so grateful if somebody does CVS they can contact me before tomorrow when I go look at it and I’d love to hear your opinion of what you would do! It’s my friend’s grandmother. My name is Michael and I think even if they’re in your opinion!
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Garage
My name is also Michael....it is a NEW car with that mileage. You will be very happy and the price is way under what it should retail for Thank me later.
The Carrier and jshines like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I agree - the price is right in there, if it's a redline, and in good condition. If it's a base, the price might be a little high, depending on where you live.

Kansas Bill
2008 Silver Red Line
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Garage
Taking the plunge into the deep end of the pool of fun. Low mileage Sky. Little old lady owned it, only driven on Sunday's to church.

Price is right, IF this is a Redline model? Base model of our Kappa, you could talk them down some in price maybe? $9995.00 ?
This imo depends on what you find, on your pre-sale inspection of the car?

You know the car has not been abused, no rips in seats/top or body damage. Sitting outside or in a garage when stored?
You know the car has not been modified, unless granny was a gear head with a lead foot ripping out all the OEM stuff, not likely?

Your concerns are warrantied here about the car not being driven and sitting for a long time, considering it's age factor.
Original tires? Original battery? 12 years old now. IF so... these can be changed out after purchase.
Added expense to your bottom line purchase price. +$1000.00

Fluids can be changed out, and should be with any used car purchase private seller?
Dealer might have done this, then again maybe not here?
A mechanic can look things over for you if you have safety concerns after your test drive?
Any odd noises, quirky actions, with the transmission, brakes, power steering, any car functions?

Something else to consider here is... insurance on this model Redline/base by your company of choice,
or shopping around for the best price around for you $ ?
Rob the Elder list of 25+ things to look for in a Kappa is a good check up when inspecting your future purchase?

Your usage after purchase... DD or weekend fun & run 2nd car?
Costs to maintain after your purchase? With the low miles on the odo, it should be in great shape.
Minor $$$ out of pocket expenses.
However this car is not cheap, when it does go bad. Could be $1.89 fix, could be $1,089.00 fix.
Water pump another thousand. Body damage another $ 1K.
You get the picture here so... start a fund $$$ the day after purchase, so you can keep the permagrin " going " in your life imo.

The change in your life after purchase...hang on to yourself here.
Your face muscles hurt from smiling so much. Check mirror for new lines forming daily.
Your co-workers, friends, neighbors know.. something is a bit "off "with you lately, since the purchase... happens to the best of us.

Attention factor while out and about in your daily activities... it get's real deal here, gas stations, stop lights, police, ricers, the
masses on our nations roadways.... to just you and the road, little me time decompression, nice twisty section, new asphalt
maybe... then you will know why you made this purchase. It all makes sense to me now... happens to the best of us.

Luck with it.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 07-03-2019 at 06:28 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this is the Yellow one in Huntington Beach on Craigslist? Description matches what you said about it. It looks like a very nice Sky and extremely clean looking.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:13 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Don't listen to anyone who differentiates because it is a R/L or NA...it is the mileage...the car is NEW.
The Carrier likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
That's a bit high for an NA Sky. They should be around $10k with that mileage...but of course if it's yellow, that commands an extra $1k or so, so it might be about right. If it's a redline, jump on it, because that should be around $16k. Either way, the car is brand new. If tires haven't been replaced, you will need to do that the very first day. Battery is also another must if it hasn't been done yet. Cooling should be fine. Just don't run it hard on the way home. Turn the a/c on and let it run for a few minutes, then shut it off and don't run the a/c for another hour or so...this allows all the seals to "renew" themselves. And as I stated about tires, all fluids need to be changed immediately as well. Oil, power steering, brake, transmission and diff fluids...about $1k at the dealer. Something sitting that long needs to have that done if it hasn't been done.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I am confused by some posts. If the car REALLY only has 3400 miles on it and its physical condition is in line with those miles, you've got a STEAL. Go for it! Disregard N/A vs. RL. The RL is worth a bit more, but at that price who cares?
marlboromike likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Carrier View Post
I am confused by some posts. If the car REALLY only has 3400 miles on it and its physical condition is in line with those miles, you've got a STEAL. Go for it! Disregard N/A vs. RL. The RL is worth a bit more, but at that price who cares?
Not necessarily. Certain parts don't like to sit unused for extended periods of time. Rubber especially falls into this category and a car like this can suffer from a number of issues caused by dry rotted gaskets and seals. There may be a number of expensive repairs hidden in those few miles. I wouldn't buy a car like this unless I personally examined it on a lift to see if there were any signs of trouble. I'd trust a car at this age with 34,000 miles on it more than one with 3,400.
Sky_Pilot likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:04 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Not necessarily. Certain parts don't like to sit unused for extended periods of time. Rubber especially falls into this category and a car like this can suffer from a number of issues caused by dry rotted gaskets and seals. There may be a number of expensive repairs hidden in those few miles. I wouldn't buy a car like this unless I personally examined it on a lift to see if there were any signs of trouble. I'd trust a car at this age with 34,000 miles on it more than one with 3,400.
You would not choose wisely. Taking in risk factor in buying a vehicle, the wiser road to take is with newer shoes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
You would not choose wisely. Taking in risk factor in buying a vehicle, the wiser road to take is with newer shoes
Shoes don't leak from lack of use...LOL

Besides, you failed to comprehend that I WOULD buy a car like this but NOT without inspecting it very closely for signs of dry rotted rubber parts, seals and gaskets. I said I'd TRUST a car with 34K over one with 3,400...which is true...but not that, by default, I'd CHOOSE a car with 34K over one with 3400. Way too many other factors to add in above mileage at that point.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:29 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Let the members decide what car they would choose....sight unseen all things being equal.

A car with 3400 miles or identical car (NA and/or R/L) with over 30K.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:00 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Let the members decide what car they would choose....sight unseen all things being equal.

A car with 3400 miles or identical car (NA and/or R/L) with over 30K.
Over on Solsticeforum and Facebook, there is a Solstice Coupe for sale with only 34 miles, from a dealer in New Jersey, never been sold, or titled.

(9Y000926: On a side note, I looked up the VIN and GM started the warranty running in 1/4/2010, so no current new car warranty, GM considered this car to be a used car in the dealer inventory, one of the side issues of the bankruptcy).

There is no way in heck that car is going to run decently, as a lot of the seals, bearings and other moving parts haven't been lubricated in at least 10 years. This will strictly become a "collector" vehicle, probably never to have be run since it came off the truck at the dealers in 2009.

Cars need to be run regularly in order to keep the seals, rubber parts, and bearings lubricated.

I'd hate to think of what might happen if this car were to be run like a normal daily driver.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Last edited by DaveOC; 07-08-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm not understanding why everyone thinks the seals would be dry-rotted. The car is 11 years old, not 61. Assuming it has been kept in a reasonable environment it shouldn't be in any worse shape than my 11-year-old car. What would concern me is the lack of running, since the original post stated that it had only been started every six months or so. In six months all of the lube will drain down from the top end of the engine, and starting it could be causing quite a bit of damage every time. It is also highly probable that the oil is 11 years old, and there could be a lot of condensation causing problems everywhere. The brake pads are likely to be rusted to the rotors, and if it has a manual transmission the clutch could be just as bad.

How old is the fuel? I have left fuel in my NA for a year with no obvious ill effects, but 11 would be a different story. The fuel system could easily be trashed.

There are a lot of questions about how this car was maintained, and some of the answers could be pretty scary. It could be a great deal or a disaster.

I do find it interesting that "Michael" hasn't been back since a few hours after his original post, almost a week ago.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I'm not understanding why everyone thinks the seals would be dry-rotted. The car is 11 years old, not 61. Assuming it has been kept in a reasonable environment it shouldn't be in any worse shape than my 11-year-old car. What would concern me is the lack of running, since the original post stated that it had only been started every six months or so. In six months all of the lube will drain down from the top end of the engine, and starting it could be causing quite a bit of damage every time. It is also highly probable that the oil is 11 years old, and there could be a lot of condensation causing problems everywhere. The brake pads are likely to be rusted to the rotors, and if it has a manual transmission the clutch could be just as bad.

How old is the fuel? I have left fuel in my NA for a year with no obvious ill effects, but 11 would be a different story. The fuel system could easily be trashed.

There are a lot of questions about how this car was maintained, and some of the answers could be pretty scary. It could be a great deal or a disaster.

I do find it interesting that "Michael" hasn't been back since a few hours after his original post, almost a week ago.
My concern comes from the above things you mention and others mostly since most of our gaskets are not just rubber. However, some are and there are some critical ones that I have no idea what they are. In addition to what you listed, exhaust components can rust through from the inside out if a car is started, warmed up slightly, but not allowed to come to full temperature and condensation builds up inside the exhaust where it then sits rather than burning off. Like you said, there are too many things that COULD deteriorate due to lack of use that I wouldn't touch a car with such low miles without inspecting it first hand regardless of how they told me they stored it.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in