Attempting to buy a 2008 Saturn sky. - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Not necessarily. Certain parts don't like to sit unused for extended periods of time. Rubber especially falls into this category and a car like this can suffer from a number of issues caused by dry rotted gaskets and seals. There may be a number of expensive repairs hidden in those few miles. I wouldn't buy a car like this unless I personally examined it on a lift to see if there were any signs of trouble. I'd trust a car at this age with 34,000 miles on it more than one with 3,400.
I agree 100%... several years ago I bought a low mileage Chevy that was about 12 years old, it was beautiful inside and out, all went well as a daily driver, but when I took it up to Big Bear the head gasket blew under the stress and heat of the climb.

It's a crap shoot either way.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I will state two important factors I have learned from low mileage auto owners. If the owner on a bi-weekly or monthly schedule starts the car and runs it for 5 mins but does not move it then the engine as well as other componente can be in good shape.

The issue with cars that sit, at least old school carb cars do have problems with fuel staying in the carb especially now that they have ethanol. Additionally, the oil and transmission fluid lubricates the internals when the car is running not while sitting. If seals, gaskets, and hoses start to break down from dry rot it is possible to have rust on the internals.

When I had my engine built for the 93 camaro the owner of the machine shop, who taught at the community college, talked about this problem and stated most engines are shipped with a thicker oil coating like Differential oil to protect from rust even if the engine is sealed. Take the advice with a grain of salt.

If the car was ran on a monthly basis like a dealership does when it test drives the car or shows the car off to a potential customer then yes it is just like a new car. If it drove for a year and sat the rest of the time I would be looking at a hefy tuneup to get it drive ready.

If you want to know if the car has sat or ran in place take a look at the fluids for moisture and discoloration.

Even guys who have low miles for show cars will turn them on periodically and move to put on and off a trailer. My thought is for the age of the car between 15k to 30k miles is just right.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Paint: Silver Pearl
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
3.100 mi, 9 yr. old worked well for me

The '07 Base that we purchased was 9 years old and had 3,100 miles. We did nothing to it except turn it into my wives daily driver. Put 3?,000 mi. on it(including the original run flats till 34K) trouble free. We'd still have it if the wife could navigate entry and exit the cockpit like she could when she was younger. It was a great driver, low mile sitting vehicle wouldn't scare me a bit. Have purchased a '73 Nova and an '09 Cad CTS the same way, all with good experiences. Maybe I've just been lucky!

Last edited by The Songbird; 07-12-2019 at 12:33 AM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Songbird View Post
The '07 Base that we purchased was 9 years old and had 3,100 miles. We did nothing to it except turn it into my wives daily driver. Put 3?,000 mi. on it(including the original run flats till 34K) trouble free. We'd still have it if the wife could navigate entry and exit the cockpit like she could when she was younger. It was a great driver, low mile sitting vehicle wouldn't scare me a bit. Have purchased a '73 Nova and an '09 Cad CTS the same way, all we good experiences. Maybe I've been lucky!
Original tires weren't run flats. They were Goodyear RSAs.

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Songbird View Post
The '07 Base that we purchased was 9 years old and had 3,100 miles. We did nothing to it except turn it into my wives daily driver. Put 3?,000 mi. on it(including the original run flats till 34K) trouble free. We'd still have it if the wife could navigate entry and exit the cockpit like she could when she was younger. It was a great driver, low mile sitting vehicle wouldn't scare me a bit. Have purchased a '73 Nova and an '09 Cad CTS the same way, all we good experiences. Maybe I've been lucky!
I would call it fortunate rather than lucky, because the cars you bought were probably driven in a way that maximized their life, and you probably picked cars that looked cared for. Periodically driving something for a short or medium distance is actually quite good for it because you keep the fluids circulated and never let anything just sit for a long period of time, but still don't put many miles on it.

As I sit here and think about it, my first car was a 15-year-old MGB that sat outdoors under a tarp for five years before i got it. It had a lot of problems related to the way it was "stored" but I never had a single seal leak, and the drivetrain never had a problem while I owned it.

There is a lot of pessimism on the forum, where people tend to look at the negative instead of the positive and expect the worst to happen in nearly every situation. Eeyore is alive and well here.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
There is a lot of pessimism on the forum, where people tend to look at the negative instead of the positive and expect the worst to happen in nearly every situation. Eeyore is alive and well here.
There is a huge difference between expecting the worst and being prepared for the worst...

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in