Cat Converter Warr. Extended on some 07' 2.4L SKYs... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Cat Converter Warr. Extended on some 07' 2.4L SKYs...

Here is the GM Notification...
Quote:
SPECIAL COVERAGE

SUBJECT: SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT – EXTENDED CATALYTIC CONVERTER WARRANTY COVERAGE
MODELS: 2006-2007 PONTIAC SOLSTICE
2007 SATURN SKY EQUIPPED WITH 2.4L ENGINE (LE5)

CONDITION

Some customers of 2006-2007 model year Pontiac Solstice vehicles, and 2007 model year Saturn SKY vehicles, equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5), may comment on illumination of the malfunction indicator lamp (MAL) and/or lack of engine power. This may be caused by failure of the catalytic converter.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. Dealers/retailers are to replace the catalytic converter. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. Customers should not be charged for performing a system check when it is determined that the catalytic converter is not the cause of the customer complaint.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

Involved are certain 2006-2007 model year Pontiac Solstice vehicles, and 2007 model year Saturn SKY vehicles, equipped with a 2.4L engine (LE5), and built within the following VIN breakpoints:

2006 Pontiac Solstice from 6Y000001 to 6Y120195
2007 Pontiac Solstice from 7Y103375 to 7Y142882
2007 Saturn SKY from 7Y100001 to 7Y142739
Here is the letter that GM will send to those within the VIN breakdown:
Quote:
Dear GM Customer:

As the owner of a 2006-2007 model year Pontiac Solstice or a 2007 model year Saturn SKY vehicle equipped with a 2.4L engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2006-2007 model year Pontiac Solstice and 2007 model year Saturn SKY vehicles, equipped with a 2.4L engine, may have a condition where the malfunction indicator lamp illuminates, and/or there is a lack of engine power. This may be
caused by failure of the catalytic converter.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer/retailer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done:
General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the catalytic converter. If this condition occurs on your 2006-2007 model year Pontiac Solstice or 2007 model year Saturn SKY within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do:
Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be
performed by a General Motors dealer/retailer. If you believe your vehicle has the condition covered by this special coverage, you may want to contact your GM dealer/retailer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer/retailer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement:
The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to
request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by June 30, 2010.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer/retailer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the telephone number listed below.

Pontiac 1-800-620-7668
Saturn 1-800-972-8876
Guam 1-671-648-8450
Puerto Rico – English 1-800-496-9992
Puerto Rico – Español 1-800-496-9993
Virgin Islands 1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

General Motors Corporation
There you go...

BA...
skyH likes this.

2nd SKY: (Lucy)
2008 RED on Red/Black Lthr
RedLine
Delivered - 7/14/08
Loaded
Auto
3" Magnaflow, GMPP Tune,
Lil Chromies & CAI

1st SKY: (Traded)
2007 Silver Graphite
RedLine
Loaded (-6CD)
post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to EndiSky
That is good info/ bad info... hope mine doesn't go (if I don't upgrade first) but glad to know it will be covered!

Current Mods:So-Cal WR- RK Hood-2Tone Paint-ASAP ClearBra & PinStripe-RPI GT Exhaust-Fujita Dual Cone CAI-Billet Grill-Painted Calipers-Painted FB Cover-Eibach Pro-Kit-XIX 20's-JPM Seat Belt Loops-Saturn Motorsports Headers & Throttle Body
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mine has been replaced once. The extra coverage is nice. Thanks for the info.

07Silver Pearl
Black/Black leather
LSD
CD/MP3 XM satellite
5 speed manual
VIN#1745
Fiamm horn
Magnaflow Quad Tip Exhaust
GMPP CAI Kazera KZ-J rims

08 Carbon Flash
DDM Backbone brace
Mach exhaust
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
YIKES! my Vin# is there...but my car has never let me down from day 1...I know i should never have said that...but it is the perfect running machine. Of course, it has less than 17K miles..

Thanks for the info BA
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:54 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mine was replaced last year just before I went to the third annual BBQ at Aubreys home...Mike of Marlboro, your time will come when your cat is out of the bag....Skip....

The Official Resident Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
"smart azz redneck that loves to drink that Jack and chase women".......My kind of guy.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Yeah i just got mine replaced two months ago. It started out i was getting great MPG then i threw an engine light. Took it in and they put a new one in. Only took about 2 hours. So all and all i only got 37,000 miles on the original CAT.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Just got mine replaced today. 2007 with only 13000 miles on it. Saturn of Lowell installed a new cat in about an hour. I've heard of others who have had issues with warranty work but my dealership was great.

Silver Graphite
Automatic
Trim Pack
Red/Black Leather
LSD
Monsoon CD/MP3
Rear Spoiler
Polished Aluminum Alloy Wheels
Shorty Antenna
Windscreen
DELIVERED 5-15-06
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Interesting

I have an 08 and they replaced my cat a couple of months ago at 20,000 miles.

==================
2008 RL Bluestone
GM CAI (or HAI, if you prefer)
RPI IC + GT Exhaust
DDM Pro-Beam + Backbrace
GM LNF Turbo Upgrade
Opel GT Antenna
KappaRoo
KappaBrella
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:31 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mine was replaced about two months ago, about 24000mi.

Chili Pepper Red akaTabasco
5-Speed Manual
Black Premium Trim
Chrome Wheels
Monsoon Audio System
VIN 101013
Born 03/06
Delivered 06/01/06
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
Mine has been replaced once. The extra coverage is nice. Thanks for the info.
08 Carbon Flash
FIAMM HORN
These items are new to me- please explain.. I have a 2007 Sky> phony hood vent on passenger side melted to the hood; only 15k miles on it & just found out about the cat issue><> am wondering about symptoms leading up to the cat failure. I would like a call if you do not mind--I'm not good on computers--cell=203-247-4015 Thanks, Bob
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:15 AM

This is really scary to me. I purchased a Redline in September last year...saw the 'sportier' model and returned the first one and now have the one w/ the spoiler, 'saddle' bag and bug screen between the seat backs.
When I bought it in 2010, it had 9k. It now has just over 13k. It seems to lag a pinch on take-off and I HATE that when I top out in 2nd gear it does a nose dive and the power is gone but I have not yet had any lights come on. The carfax didn't say anything about it but then again, it didn't say anything about it being wrecked and all the suspension parts being replaced on the front passenger side either.
Thanks for this info, I will keep an eye on my dash lights.
I have just joined this site and have already learned a few things. I'm going to keep reading!
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatooz View Post
This is really scary to me. I purchased a Redline in September last year...
If you have a Redline, you have the 2.0 turbo engine, and this notice doesn't apply.

"2007 SATURN SKY EQUIPPED WITH 2.4L ENGINE"

You mention that you bought a "sportier" model with a spoiler, but describe turbo lag, so I assume it too has the 2.0 Turbo Ecotech engine. The 2.4L engine is a naturally aspirated (NA) engine.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 AM

I think that I am getting mine replaced under the 8 year/80,000 mile warranty that already comes on the cat. I have no reduction in power. I have thrown a code. I can hear something is not right with my exhaust. Stay tuned...

2008 AGGRESSIVE SOLSTICE GXP
SMARTIN's SOLSTICE
QUEEN
"THE RED ROCKET"
Custom Tune

2006 Deep Solstice
"O Sol O Mio"
11/15/05 - 02/25/12
RE-TIRED
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info. 4-10-15
I have a 2007 Sky with 2.4L with the engine light on and motor not producing the power or RPM's. I have about 41K miles on it.
I had the code reset at a parts store, but the light came back on. I was told it was an 02 sensor (the one after the catalytic converter). I took it to a different parts store and was told the same thing. Both places mention getting a bottle of CATACLEAN; that it would probably fix my problem. I spent about $25.00 for 1 bottle and followed directions; it made no difference with the car.
After reading from this Forum.
I called Saturn 1-800-972-8876 and gave them my information. I had them connect me with with a dealership while all of us were on the phone. I have an appointment to take it next week and the dealership will provide me with a loaner at no charge for the estimated 3 days to replace the catalytic converter. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. Customers should not be charged for performing a system check when it is determined that the catalytic converter is not the cause of the customer complaint.
I will provide any information to share and feel free to contact me if anyone has any questions on my experience on this problem. The original information was very helpful for me and happy that I joined this Forum. I will know more by the end of next week.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 02:16 PM

This recall made all the difference as it now runs like it should. The dealership gave me a new vehicle to use at no cost. Before taking it in repairs, it felt like it was running on 2 cylinders as far as power and bad gas mileage. Mopeds were faster as it was a struggle to keep up with traffic. GM should have contacted every vehicle as this is also a safety hazard. I am glad I saw this information here.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in