In reference to 'mixing the Solstice and SKY VIN's as the units came off the line', I had heard that too. So if that is what happened, then when the SKY production started, VIN numbers for both cars must have started from '0'. This would explain how SKY VIN's exceed the reported total overall production number.
I'll add, I have searched all 50 of the SKY's initial production and printed out the record on every one of those units. There are five SKY units missing in the first 44 accounted for that preceed my VIN number (8-11-25-39-42). Could this mean those VIN's were 2007 Solstice production? Meaning that in initial SKY production, VIN numbers started from zero (0) again for Solstice. and missing numbers were for Solstice. ??maybe??
Further research has found very interesting facts about VIN numbering, but is only just for all of our understanding. Nothing changes, but some of the facts are interesting. I'll list my conclusions as I see them.
1) VIN numbers missing in my previous searches (numbers listed above) do exist and all numbers are Solstice's with LE5 engines.
2) Of the first SKY's produced (actually I only searched the first 44), they were all produced in the 2nd and 3rd week of Dec 2005.
3) VIN's 100008-100011-100025-100039-100042 (again, Solstices) were all produced in a March 22 through April 12, 2005 time frame. I found the records for each of those numbers to be Solstice convertibles. Interesting those numbers were used 8-9 months earlier in Solstice production, while the majority of the numbers in the group were assigned to SKY production which was only planned to start some 8 months later (Dec 6 through Dec 16, 2005).
4) On the subject of the VIN numbers beginning with a '0' and producing the first 1,000 Solstices, the VIN search this morning of 000144, found it's production date is claimed to be 2005-08-03
! And, I do NOT see a possible reading of the date as 03-08-2005. There is no mistake there, I believe.
5) DaveOC's Solstice manufacture date of 2005-08-26 for unit 000741 seems a lot of units were produced over that 3 weeks (from unit 000144 on 2005-08-03), but with the mystique around this subject it seems anything is possible.
Not knowing these cars would end up limited production, probably no one ever thought there would ever be a question come up about production sequence. And I'd agree, it would NOT have. But now we know, production ceased after 3-4 years. Maybe just further gibberish about VIN numbering and only of interest to a few of us, but I obviously have an interest.