Ceramic Pro paint finish - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Sly Bob
  • 1 Post By copdriver91
  • 1 Post By Tweetybird
  • 2 Post By copdriver91
  • 1 Post By copdriver91

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Ceramic Pro paint finish

This may have been covered before but I am unable to find any information here. Has anyone had experience With Ceramic Pro paint finish? We have a detail shop that is promoting it and makes it sound great. But it is not inexpensive.

Make it a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetybird View Post
This may have been covered before but I am unable to find any information here. Has anyone had experience With Ceramic Pro paint finish? We have a detail shop that is promoting it and makes it sound great. But it is not inexpensive.
I don't know of the product pro paint finish but I have coated my car with a 2 part ceramic coating from iglcoatings.com it is about$1000.00 per car and it really does work very well. I think most ceramic coatings are good as long as the prep work is done correctly if not you will have peeling problems down the road.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Every year there is some kind of new paint treatment that is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Save your money.
marlboromike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
Every year there is some kind of new paint treatment that is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Save your money.
Paint treatment and ceramic coatings are two very different products a treatment is simply a paint sealant which is a little better than a wax or polish and will last longer a ceramic coating is almost like adding another clear coat but is much harder and prevents chips and scratches.it is also much easier to keep clean as it repels dirt and bird droppings will not harm the paint. I'm not suggesting the cheap coatings you can buy at auto parts stores but a good quality coating that needs to be applied by a pro. who knows what they are doing if you think it's a waste of money that's ok but I know in the long run is certainly saves me time and money.
Tweetybird likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wife and I have Perma Grin Tweetybird now has "Perma Shine'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29511525_591521677890895_8908004157541690553_n.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	100242  
GJinNY likes this.

Make it a good day.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
How do you maintain a ceramic coated car? If you get a door ding or a scratch, how do you prep for paint, then recover the ceramic?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Elder View Post
How do you maintain a ceramic coated car? If you get a door ding or a scratch, how do you prep for paint, then recover the ceramic?
You repair it the same way you would a clear coat car,if it's just a small dent and no paint damage use paintless dent repair if it's a scratch through the ceramic and the clear coat it has to be prepared the same as a clear coat only car and then have the ceramic coating reapplied after the paint and clear has cured. If you had the coating applied by a reputable shop they will do this recoat for a minimal fee.
Hope this helps answer your question
Rob the Elder and Tweetybird like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ceramic Pro dealer sent me another picture of Tweetybird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29541563_591973737845689_8531455369737561745_n.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	100362  

Make it a good day.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Hit the internets for a min to see what folks on the street think about it...

Pretty mustang (I think it sounds odd, but the owner likes it, shrugs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y8_fdyWPsA

This guy sounds so much like a pitch, but he has some good video of how stuff refuses to stick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPcQi7UJ_nY

And another page listing pros/cons:
https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014...ersible-error/

Just sharing what I found in my rabbit hole visit

Be a part of the solution!
and
DFTT
--
In fond rememberance... We miss ya' Skip, but we'll never ferget ya! :)
--
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova-Exarch View Post
And another page listing pros/cons:
https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014...ersible-error/

Just sharing what I found in my rabbit hole visit
Didn't look at the others, but read that last one. I have no knowledge of the 'ceramic' coatings but that article is just another opinion from someone not qualified to promote his.

Quote:
First, let’s look at these names from the most literal stand point. If we we’re to actually be coating the exterior of our cars with glass or ceramic, what would be the result through the basic functions of the body of the car? The body of the car flexes as it drives, as the heat and cold play their part on the chemistry of the metal (hot metal can bend more while cold metal is more stiff). If our cars were coated with glass and ceramics, two very rigid materials that lack the ability to be flexible, it wouldn’t take long for the coating to crack and break.
Ahh, this must be why fiber optic cables are such a bad idea and so probably why Verizon FiOS is such a failure. Obviously those glass fiber cables have no flexibility and will break immediately as they are laid (/Sarcasm).

Doh!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
I have done some research on this as I wanted to get both my Challenger and my Solstice ceramic coated. I have found out that 'IF' you don't have a show room condition paint, that EVERY single little mark will magnify with the ceramic coating. I wanted this because I was getting new T2 black strips installed and didn't want them to split or chip like my current ones are doing. But, when I found I needed a show room new paint on my car, I decided against it and went with good ole Meguiars. If your car has less then 5k on it, it's probably worth it, but if you have any rock chips, dings, dents, etc....it won't turn out too nice. I did read an article of a guy that had his Nissan GT done at 6k with tons of rock chips and it turned out horrific and he sued the installer for $50k because he had to have his car repainted and it devalued it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
I have done some research on this as I wanted to get both my Challenger and my Solstice ceramic coated. I have found out that 'IF' you don't have a show room condition paint, that EVERY single little mark will magnify with the ceramic coating. I wanted this because I was getting new T2 black strips installed and didn't want them to split or chip like my current ones are doing. But, when I found I needed a show room new paint on my car, I decided against it and went with good ole Meguiars. If your car has less then 5k on it, it's probably worth it, but if you have any rock chips, dings, dents, etc....it won't turn out too nice. I did read an article of a guy that had his Nissan GT done at 6k with tons of rock chips and it turned out horrific and he sued the installer for $50k because he had to have his car repainted and it devalued it.
Any reputable installer will tell you that they have to do paint correction and just how much they can do will depend on the condition of the car. No it will not fix a badly damaged or chipped car and it will also not hide scratches, the installer will tell the customer what can be expected from the coating such as it will reduce further damage and help keep it clean.It will not magnify anything anymore than a good wax or polish job will. The guy trying to sue has no chance of winning unless the installer was a total moron and told him it would fix his paint problems.
Tweetybird likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Didn't look at the others, but read that last one. I have no knowledge of the 'ceramic' coatings but that article is just another opinion from someone not qualified to promote his.

Ahh, this must be why fiber optic cables are such a bad idea and so probably why Verizon FiOS is such a failure. Obviously those glass fiber cables have no flexibility and will break immediately as they are laid (/Sarcasm).

Doh!
Yeah, he kinda seals it on his lack of understanding with the next paragraph:
Quote:
Second, it’s clearly just a metaphor to explain how durable of a protection you’re getting. There’s no denying, a durable and long lasting product is great! Just forewarning you though, many of these products are not a one stop shop! These 7 year warranty coatings are only valid if you can verify you’ve reapplied the product every year or two and washed the car once a month.
I think the word ceramic throws off a lot of people (myself included). I was a fine arts major for a few quarters so I hear ceramic I think of kiln fired glazes. Super durable, but they have to be kiln fired So, I go look it up and tons of stuff count as ceramics.

Anyway... I am not promoting it or nay saying it. I have no firsthand experience with these latest paint coatings.

I did have some nano crap (?Aquapel?) put on the wife's windshield. I figured worst case it'd be like Rain-X. The stuff was pretty AMAZING. It lasted WAY longer than Rain-X (lasted over a month) and would have lasted wayyyy longer but the wifey doesn't like stuff on the windows and kept using the wipers. The coating had the same effect that the one youtube video shows on the car's paint. Water just flows off so quickly it's like it disappears!

I can imagine the same kind of coating applied to paint would last a LONG time. Especially if you only do touchless car washes

Be a part of the solution!
and
DFTT
--
In fond rememberance... We miss ya' Skip, but we'll never ferget ya! :)
--
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:23 PM

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova-Exarch View Post
Yeah, he kinda seals it on his lack of understanding with the next paragraph:

I think the word ceramic throws off a lot of people (myself included). I was a fine arts major for a few quarters so I hear ceramic I think of kiln fired glazes. Super durable, but they have to be kiln fired So, I go look it up and tons of stuff count as ceramics.

Anyway... I am not promoting it or nay saying it. I have no firsthand experience with these latest paint coatings.

I did have some nano crap (?Aquapel?) put on the wife's windshield. I figured worst case it'd be like Rain-X. The stuff was pretty AMAZING. It lasted WAY longer than Rain-X (lasted over a month) and would have lasted wayyyy longer but the wifey doesn't like stuff on the windows and kept using the wipers. The coating had the same effect that the one youtube video shows on the car's paint. Water just flows off so quickly it's like it disappears!

I can imagine the same kind of coating applied to paint would last a LONG time. Especially if you only do touchless car washes
That's exactly how a coated car should be cleaned touch less car wash or even a garden hose,if you want you can still use a mild car soap rinse and blow it dry or a microfiber towel works as well. Aquapel does work great I use it on my cars all the time saves tons on washer fluid in the winter.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in