Coolant temp - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Coolant temp

Hey guys. Just wanna be sure I'm not missing something and be sure. Yes I have checked as many old threads as I care to. Here it is. Water pump replaced 8,000 miles ago. No leaks. Normally the sky 2.4 runs 190 to 200> Live in Florida. Today was about 97 in the sun and in traffic, AC on, stop and go it climbs to 219 over time. I stop at a store for 7 min, get in and start it and it reads 225 which quickly dropped to about 210 when I got moving. My mechanic is certified and has worked at several dealerships for a long time. He says that General motors built these cars to run between 200 and 230 And I should not worry about this. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Garage
I am no sure it is quite that high, but the fan does not run at full speed until the temp reaches 220. I have seen temperatures right at 219 in SoCal when temps are nearing the 100 degree area. I would not worry about it much sir.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I am no sure it is quite that high, but the fan does not run at full speed until the temp reaches 220. I have seen temperatures right at 219 in SoCal when temps are nearing the 100 degree area. I would not worry about it much sir.
I appreciate the come back. I have a decent amount invested in this car to bring it up to snuff after years of apparent neglect and heaven knows what so, if nothing else I want to protect my investment. Its my DD and I love it and being able to tap into the knowledge here is priceless. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebreath View Post
Today was about 97 in the sun and in traffic, AC on, stop and go it climbs to 219 over time. I stop at a store for 7 min, get in and start it and it reads 225 which quickly dropped to about 210 when I got moving. My mechanic is certified and has worked at several dealerships for a long time. He says that General motors built these cars to run between 200 and 230 And I should not worry about this.
Totally normal and I believe him. The reason you see that spike up to 225 is because where the sensor is in the car. It's in the thermostat housing at the back of the engine. When you park the car, excess heat moves from the engine to the coolant tube and thermostat housing which runs directly under the exhaust manifold to the rear of the engine. Since the car isn't moving, the temp at the coolant temp sensor rises because it can't remove the heat from that location since it is no longer circulating.

When you get back in the car, the coolant starts moving again and now the temp sensor will see the coolant that had been hanging out in the radiator, getting heat removed from it, and the temp drops down to a temp lower than what you had seen while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
When we were going up S6 at Palomar last year with the San Diego group, I don't think one car was running below 230...15 cars, NA and Turbo, mid 90s and no one had their AC on going up that steep grade with some gusto. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Mine fluctuates quite a lot too it seems.......I'm not sure that reading is accurate (on mine) ....it dances QUICKLY between 190 to 197 to 205, back to 190, etc.
As long as it does not stay over 200 for an extended period I will not worry.

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

At freeway speeds or a good clip it hangs about 190-195. Now this is in summer in Florida. When I get into stop and go and its 90 to 95 with AC going it will crawl up to 113-120. If I cut the AC it drops but thats brutal in the heat. Not tryin to be a fraid-e-cat but I would not want to burn anything or ruin something from overheating. I have never had a car that I have had to worry about that but the Sky. Is the car just built that cheap or wrong or just odd?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
There is nothing cheap or wrong. It is designed to run at that temperature. Did your previous vehicle have a digital temperature or an analog gauge?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
There is nothing cheap or wrong. It is designed to run at that temperature. Did your previous vehicle have a digital temperature or an analog gauge?
Analog. So It was not as accurate. I don't mean to make a bigger deal out of this than it is. This is one of the coolest cars I have ever owned and I would like to keep it for many years. I was reading some of the earlier posts talking about engine coolant temperature and it seemed they were running between 190 and 205. Some of the guys say there's car very rarely gets above 205 maybe 210. Probably being overcautious but that is where I am right now.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Analog. So It was not as accurate. I don't mean to make a bigger deal out of this than it is. This is one of the coolest cars I have ever owned and I would like to keep it for many years. I was reading some of the earlier posts talking about engine coolant temperature and it seemed they were running between 190 and 205. Some of the guys say there's car very rarely gets above 205 maybe 210. Probably being overcautious but that is where I am right now.
I absolutely agree with everything here. It is among the coolest, I want to keep mine around for a long time too, and over-cautious is better than not caring enough. Just don't stress yourself out about it. And, as you know, knowledge is power.

That said, I think the digital temperature indicator is in general a source of excessive stress for a lot of people. The green range of an analog gauge is probably 20 degrees F, but now people tend to worry over a 5 degree variance. It is just the nature of the way we think, since in our minds, the more precise our display the more accurate we want the reading.

John
Lexington, KY

Last edited by JohnWR; 05-23-2019 at 06:41 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Nah... you're ok there MB. Yes it is a concern when we as owners see the temp rise, that odd noise or shake from our cars.
Better to be safe than sorry, or in some cases left stranded on the road side, hood up, steam rising from your engine bay.
No cell phone service, not a soul on the road for miles, and in your case there MB, the odd Gator strolling across the roadway 20 yards from where your stranded. Sucks to be you!

While it is true our cars do tend to run, a little hotter than some/most cars past or present is still can be a shock to see the temp gauge rise. The expense for high temps, from the WP replacement, thermostat, radiator, fluid, hoses $$$ to other issues that
could cause.. motor damage.

For me, seeing it rise to 214 in the DIC came as a shock. However when considering the outside temps, the up hill grade I was on, after about 3 minute idle down/cool down at the top with no air flow, it was back to normal at 195.
Any change to the fan speed, and or the climate control, one or two clicks results in 2 degree temp change in the DIC sometimes in my car. Your results may vary.

The day I bought my Sky was hot 97 degrees, humidity off the charts. So while driving the 100 miles to get the Sky in my HHR, sitting in early morning traffic, the temp rose to 217. Sound familiar? GM designed the coolant/radiator in the HHR had me worry some. In the Sky on the return trip home,... top up, A/C going the temp during the hwy cruise home, no temp increase. When I got home.. things were different. 205..207..209 wth? 2 minutes later 195 sitting still. No air flow is no air flow, and imo our cars needs the air flow.

In the Turbo version, it creates more heat in the engine bay with little to no relief with exhaust for this heat to remove it's self.
The hood on our cars has those fake vents, which could help this out. Some of our owners have " altered " these vents to let heat
out of the engine bay. The fake side vents again here could be used for air flow through the engine bay. They designed it to be there, IF the owner wanted this later on, but during production the cost for making these vents work was not in the cards or price. Even in the bottom feeder radiator on our cars this would not be a problem. With the turbo model, with the IC in the way, less air flow to the radiator is still a question. 214 is my highest temp in the Sky.

IF... your having/seeing higher than normal temps in the DIC, how fast does it return to normal in the DIC with no air flow? With in 2 minutes? More? How long does the fan run on after shut down? 30 seconds? 3 minutes? Is there any sign in the expansion tank of a change in the fluid level? How much? IF these change drastically for you in a short period of time 2 weeks maybe here, then I'd worry some. Changes in the DIC temps not so much worry for me anymore. Your fear is warranted here over your investment in your joy. We all have that same feeling when something on our baby isn't to our liking.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 05-23-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Quote:
I absolutely agree with everything here. It is among the coolest, I want to keep mine around for a long time too, and over-cautious is better than not caring enough. Just don't stress yourself out about it. And, as you know, knowledge is power.

That said, I think the digital temperature indicator is in general a source of excessive stress for a lot of people. The green range of an analog gauge is probably 20 degrees F, but now people tend to worry over a 5 degree variance. It is just the nature of the way we think, since in our minds, the more precise our display the more accurate we want the reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post
Nah... you're ok there MB. Yes it is a concern when we as owners see the temp rise, that odd noise or shake from our cars.
Better to be safe than sorry, or in some cases left stranded on the road side, hood up, steam rising from your engine bay.
No cell phone service, not a soul on the road for miles, and in your case there MB, the odd Gator strolling across the roadway 20 yards from where your stranded. Sucks to be you!

While it is true our cars do tend to run, a little hotter than some/most cars past or present is still can be a shock to see the temp gauge rise. The expense for high temps, from the WP replacement, thermostat, radiator, fluid, hoses $$$ to other issues that
could cause.. motor damage.

For me, seeing it rise to 214 in the DIC came as a shock. However when considering the outside temps, the up hill grade I was on, after about 3 minute idle down/cool down at the top with no air flow, it was back to normal at 195.
Any change to the fan speed, and or the climate control, one or two clicks results in 2 degree temp change in the DIC sometimes in my car. Your results may vary.

The day I bought my Sky was hot 97 degrees, humidity off the charts. So while driving the 100 miles to get the Sky in my HHR, sitting in early morning traffic, the temp rose to 217. Sound familiar? GM designed the coolant/radiator in the HHR had me worry some. In the Sky on the return trip home,... top up, A/C going the temp during the hwy cruise home, no temp increase. When I got home.. things were different. 205..207..209 wth? 2 minutes later 195 sitting still. No air flow is no air flow, and imo our cars needs the air flow.

In the Turbo version, it creates more heat in the engine bay with little to no relief with exhaust for this heat to remove it's self.
The hood on our cars has those fake vents, which could help this out. Some of our owners have " altered " these vents to let heat
out of the engine bay. The fake side vents again here could be used for air flow through the engine bay. They designed it to be there, IF the owner wanted this later on, but during production the cost for making these vents work was not in the cards or price. Even in the bottom feeder radiator on our cars this would not be a problem. With the turbo model, with the IC in the way, less air flow to the radiator is still a question. 214 is my highest temp in the Sky.

IF... your having/seeing higher than normal temps in the DIC, how fast does it return to normal in the DIC with no air flow? With in 2 minutes? More? How long does the fan run on after shut down? 30 seconds? 3 minutes? Is there any sign in the expansion tank of a change in the fluid level? How much? IF these change drastically for you in a short period of time 2 weeks maybe here, then I'd worry some. Changes in the DIC temps not so much worry for me anymore. Your fear is warranted here over your investment in your joy. We all have that same feeling when something on our baby isn't to our liking.

LAC
When the air flow resumes it only takes maybe 15-20 sec to start to drop. Like I said I am probably making more of this than needs be. Just being cautious and thank you. BTW My fan does not continue to run after shut down that I am aware of. I don't believe I have ever heard it continue to run after shut down. Maybe an issue I need to address?

Last edited by Moosebreath; 05-23-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Garage
I don't like my temps going up to 230 and in the heat of the So Cal desert in summer (we can see 114 degrees in stop and go traffic) it can still climb from there.

I have a dual pass radiator going into mine from PAW and a cooler thermostat to try and keep those temps down. 170-190 is where I want her with the new turbo setup so we'll see how it does but anything under 200 in 114 degree heat and in traffic will be a win.

I have both functional hood and fender vents. It takes longer for her to heat up in traffic and it sheds heat very quickly when you start moving but sitting still they can't do much.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 05-23-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These discussions have been really helpful...I'm a new owner of a 2007 base in Florida...( I live in Ohio most of the time so I've been like a kid who knows what they're getting for Christmas but has to wait to get it )

anyway mine got up to about to about 213 one day and I was getting concerned.... so I've been reading up on eveyone's experiences..

I just changed the antifreeze and installed a bleed valve in the line....I think I've got the air out but will give it another test when I'm there in two weeks.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Before I changed the coolant with fresh Dexcool, it would run 208-215 all the time. This was in 50 degree weather on up. After changing the coolant, it is 205-210. Occasionally it'll drop to 203 for a couple of seconds and return back up.

I am going to replace the thermostat with a new 180 and a drilled hole. Wondering if I should change the sensor also? Could it be the sensor that is the problem for the wide range that people are seeing? I would love for mine to get down another 10 degrees for the norm.

Rob
07 Sky Redline
75 Cosworth Vega
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR View Post
..... I would love for mine to get down another 10 degrees for the norm.
Why do you want to run it so low?

John
Lexington, KY

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in