DDMWorks Coilovers - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By skersfan
  • 1 Post By wspohn
  • 2 Post By Robotech
  • 1 Post By wspohn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
DDMWorks Coilovers

Eh. I installed the DDMWorks backbone and front and rear sway bars.

I'm happy with the result.

I like how my car handles and I enjoy the solid feel of the car.

Coilovers at DDMWorks sell for about 1K.

Does anyone have experience with the coil overs?

And does anyone have advice on how to adjust them?

Would you imagine that if I'm happy with the results so far I'd be happy with new coilovers?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Garage
@Robotech is the one to talk to about coil overs I think. He has been messing with them on his car for quite awhile. I don't think he used DDM's product though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Hi Skyerfan.

How is the project where you're replacing the front end of your wife's bluestone with the front end from copart?

Are you doing anything interesting with the donor car aside from making a trailer?

Thanks

em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Garage
Trailer is on hold. Not sure I can justify it. No place to store it when finished and the cost is prohibitive. Also having a hard time just tearing it apart. Love the kars, feel terrible taking one off the road. We are working on it. Both engines are out and ready to switch The Black top looks good, interior will be Black or Black and Red. I really want to try the red and black
Emmett likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Garage
If you mean the BC Racing shocks I have had them on my car for the last 10 years and they are great. I have them set at 5 clicks front and 10 clicks rear,
Emmett likes this.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
If you mean the BC Racing shocks I have had them on my car for the last 10 years and they are great. I have them set at 5 clicks front and 10 clicks rear,
I believe these are the shocks the OP is talking about. I don't remember any other coil overs offered for $1k other than the BC Coils.

I did get my BC coils from DDM Works. Emmett, for someone in your position, they are probably the best coil overs you can get. They are inexpensive, they offer ride height adjustment, and the combined single adjustment for damping is hassle free. (BC makes a set of dual damping adjustable coil overs but these are only beneficial if you're racing and know when/how to adjust them.)

Standard they come with 7k springs front and rear but I'd suggest ordering them with 6K fronts and 7K rears. It balances out the car better. I went with 7k all the way around, then 5k front and 7k rear and finally settled on 5k front and 6k rear. I may be changing that to 6k front and 7k rear if I think the stiffer overall suspension will help with my autocross. We run on a pretty rough parking lot so the softer suspension gives me a bit more weight transfer to improve grip.

If all this seems a bit overwhelming, this is why I suggest just going 6k front 7k rear as this mimics the stock shocks' overall balance front to rear. You'll feel like the car is far more responsive to input but similar stability to stock. (In other words, it won't want to push or spin out easier than it did before...LOL)

The ride will be harsher but with the shocks turned all the way down ride isn't really worse than stock (I don't think) and you can turn the adjusters to get the ride balanced between more precise response and ride quality to your liking.
mstrjon32 and Emmett like this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
The ride will be harsher but with the shocks turned all the way down ride isn't really worse than stock (I don't think) and you can turn the adjusters to get the ride balanced between more precise response and ride quality to your liking.
Agree - even with my settings the ride isn't harsh.
Emmett likes this.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 04-01-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post

I did get my BC coils from DDM Works. Emmett, for someone in your position, they are probably the best coil overs you can get. They are inexpensive, they offer ride height adjustment, and the combined single adjustment for damping is hassle free. (BC makes a set of dual damping adjustable coil overs but these are only beneficial if you're racing and know when/how to adjust them.)

Standard they come with 7k springs front and rear but I'd suggest ordering them with 6K fronts and 7K rears. It balances out the car better. I went with 7k all the way around, then 5k front and 7k rear and finally settled on 5k front and 6k rear. I may be changing that to 6k front and 7k rear if I think the stiffer overall suspension will help with my autocross. We run on a pretty rough parking lot so the softer suspension gives me a bit more weight transfer to improve grip.

If all this seems a bit overwhelming, this is why I suggest just going 6k front 7k rear as this mimics the stock shocks' overall balance front to rear. You'll feel like the car is far more responsive to input but similar stability to stock. (In other words, it won't want to push or spin out easier than it did before...LOL
I am looking into getting coilovers as recommended by you. When shopping around for coilover options I refered to this post but I realized that the spring sizing of 5k, 6k, and 7k is not clear to me. Is the sizing based off kg/mm? As in 5 kg/mm and 6 kg/mm springs are recommended as the ideal setup.

I reviewed another post stating that k sport, BC, and D2 are similair at the $1,000 price point. Higher cost coilovers allow for more customization. Is this an accurate assessment? I am currently looking to purchase D2 coilovers.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Paint: Silver Pearl
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLine08 View Post
I am looking into getting coilovers as recommended by you. When shopping around for coilover options I refered to this post but I realized that the spring sizing of 5k, 6k, and 7k is not clear to me. Is the sizing based off kg/mm? As in 5 kg/mm and 6 kg/mm springs are recommended as the ideal setup.

I reviewed another post stating that k sport, BC, and D2 are similair at the $1,000 price point. Higher cost coilovers allow for more customization. Is this an accurate assessment? I am currently looking to purchase D2 coilovers.
Correct. 5K, 6K etc refers to spring rate.

I wouldn't copy my setup, I'd say a 6K front and 7K rear is good for most folks. If you get into competition, you can play with it from there since there will be no "ideal" setup for everyone.

To answer your question on cost...kind of. You can get better springs on the BCs at a higher cost but there is no more or less customization for that cost. Also, it's not about customization but rather adjustability.

Generally, when you jump up into the $2,000 price range of coil overs (and higher) you're looking at shocks that are either custom valved to YOUR spring rate and/or shocks that have independent adjustment of compression and rebound. Simple answer is, if you're unsure about what those things mean, stick with the $1,000 shocks because having that adjustability will probably cause handling problems if you don't know how to adjust them properly. The less expensive shocks have one adjustment for dampening and it's softer or harder.

I don't want to have that come off as sounding condescending. I have $1,000 BCs with just the single adjustment because while I understand what it means to adjust rebound and compression...the when and why is still a little fuzzy and I wasn't comfortable having the independent adjustment. Soft and firm work fine for me right now. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you for answering my questions.

I don't take offense to any of that. If I ask a question any answer/suggestion that is helpful is a good reply.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Paint: Silver Pearl

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in