Deer slayer Sky... as taught by Shiny... - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...ouch!!!...those repairs are gonna cost a couple of bucks

Silver Graphite '07 : red interior, chrome rims, li'l chromies, chrome wipers, chrome domes, chrome antenna, chrome sack...

"...I'm not sick, but i'm not well...."

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul" C&H

RED SOX NATION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 AM

I can't even believe how almost identical your hood looks compared to mine. I was lucky that my deer went off to the side because I had my top down. You are seriously lucky you had yours up! I'm glad you are safe.

I would like to take this opportunity to suggest a "Beers and Deers" sweep truck on every run from now on. It could follow along to provide beverages for those that get thirsty throughout the day and also store any roadkill picked up along the way

BTW I am waiting for the aftermarket hood. I decided not to wait for another damaged hood from GM. Will update everyone as soon as the transformation begins.

Chris, good luck with your repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsterrage View Post
Always happy to help you get your kink on, Reed.

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiNY View Post
I can't even believe how almost identical your hood looks compared to mine. I was lucky that my deer went off to the side because I had my top down. You are seriously lucky you had yours up! I'm glad you are safe.

I would like to take this opportunity to suggest a "Beers and Deers" sweep truck on every run from now on. It could follow along to provide beverages for those that get thirsty throughout the day and also store any roadkill picked up along the way

BTW I am waiting for the aftermarket hood. I decided not to wait for another damaged hood from GM. Will update everyone as soon as the transformation begins.

Chris, good luck with your repair

Hopefully that sweep truck will come with a grill too, just in case

Shiny, What hood did you get? Where did you get it?

I am very nervous about getting parts for my sky. Any other tips on sourcing parts for the sky? How did you handle the inspection of parts before they were put on your car?

Mine is a daily driver, so I really need my repairs done in a timely manner. A week is going to feel too long for me without my sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
Mine is a daily driver, so I really need my repairs done in a timely manner. A week is going to feel too long for me without my sky.
Told you before...get in touch with my boys at Toth (Pat or Mike)

George Toth runs the Body Shop too

Running full throttle SOLO (SQR-2)

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Glad you are okay!

I prefer to hit inanimate objects.

Good luck with the repairs!

2008 AGGRESSIVE SOLSTICE GXP
SMARTIN's SOLSTICE
QUEEN
"THE RED ROCKET"
Custom Tune

2006 Deep Solstice
"O Sol O Mio"
11/15/05 - 02/25/12
RE-TIRED
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid-2 View Post
Told you before...get in touch with my boys at Toth (Pat or Mike)

George Toth runs the Body Shop too
I would, however they will be quite far from home. I have a body shop that does phenomenal work, however I am just worried about sourcing the parts mostly. (assuming my ins. will pay there) If not, Toth will be next on my list.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Shiny, What hood did you get? Where did you get it?

I am very nervous about getting parts for my sky. Any other tips on sourcing parts for the sky? How did you handle the inspection of parts before they were put on your car?
I went to HS with my bodyshop guy, he is a very close friend of the family so I trust him. He was able to get all the parts from a dealership out here that distributes GM parts. However, as I have mentioned previously, 3 hoods were damaged when they came in. Some bodyshops will accept them damaged and for a discount from the dealer will repair the damage themselves rather than returning it. My bodyshop refused the damaged hoods. They may even be able to fix your hood as it is steel (I decided against that option). Talk to the body shop and see what they say, especially if time is an issue for you. I discussed it with mine and we decided together to go with an aftermarket hood. There is always clean up involved with aftermarket products, especially fiberglass!

My car is not my daily driver so time is not an issue for me. I have ordered the RKSport Hood and am awaiting delivery. It seems that with GM going down the tubes aftermarket suppliers are WAY busier so products are taking longer to ship. Mine is a 3-5 week wait. I called today and was told it will be at least another 10 days before mine ships.

If you want any info on where I purchased the hood let me know and I'll PM you with it.

Good luck!

Quote:

post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHiNY View Post
I went to HS with my bodyshop guy, he is a very close friend of the family so I trust him. He was able to get all the parts from a dealership out here that distributes GM parts. However, as I have mentioned previously, 3 hoods were damaged when they came in. Some bodyshops will accept them damaged and for a discount from the dealer will repair the damage themselves rather than returning it. My bodyshop refused the damaged hoods. They may even be able to fix your hood as it is steel (I decided against that option). Talk to the body shop and see what they say, especially if time is an issue for you. I discussed it with mine and we decided together to go with an aftermarket hood. There is always clean up involved with aftermarket products, especially fiberglass!

My car is not my daily driver so time is not an issue for me. I have ordered the RKSport Hood and am awaiting delivery. It seems that with GM going down the tubes aftermarket suppliers are WAY busier so products are taking longer to ship. Mine is a 3-5 week wait. I called today and was told it will be at least another 10 days before mine ships.

If you want any info on where I purchased the hood let me know and I'll PM you with it.

Good luck!

That hood is over 1k? lol I think I will stick to whatever the insurance company provides. I like the RKsport hood looks, but I dont think I want a fiberglass hood. They are pretty tricky to paint and can be more suspect to UV damage. (Plus they can crack)

My mothers Buick was repaired with a fiberglass hood. It looked great for about a year. Then the paint seemed to break down and you can see the different fibers in the hood through the paint. Not sure if it was a bad paint job or what, but I'd rather go with what I know works
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
That hood is over 1k?
No, there are two hoods. The one with the carbon fiber is over $1k. However, the one without is around $650 - $700 depending on where you purchase it. The dealer hood is $880.

Makes sense to go with what you know. I'd have to say it was a bad paint job though. I trust my body shop will do an awesome job so I'm not worried.

Quote:

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Estimate came in ... over $4,400

Oh well... at least the insurance is good for something!

If anyone needs pcs or parts, please let me know by PM. I am getting everything replaced on the front end..... id rather send it out than let it get thrown in the garbage!
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your incident and glad you're ok, hopefully they'll (whoever does the job?) will get the paint to match correctly , especially with silver or any other metallic based paint,

I have seen a few mis-matches (from the factory) on the Saturn lots etc. when I was on the hunt for my Sky.

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...-owners-29197/

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...g-paint-29210/

'08 Triple Black Onyx R/L
2.0 Turbo: stik-shift
3"MAGNAFLOW: quad tips
SOLO: Hi-Flo Cat
EIBACH: Pro-Kit
TRIFECTA'd
"4 Wheels moves the body - 2 Wheels moves the Soul"
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:28 AM

Quote:
I would, however they will be quite far from home. I have a body shop that does phenomenal work, however I am just worried about sourcing the parts mostly. (assuming my ins. will pay there) If not, Toth will be next on my list.
After a hailstorm (baseball sized) and 10k in damages, a new hood was in order. I think the body shop sourced it from GM and it took 2 or 3 tries. Good luck!!!

I am glad to see that the car held up that well. I live in deer country and I am scared to death of them!
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Estimate came in ... over $4,400

Oh well... at least the insurance is good for something!

If anyone needs pcs or parts, please let me know by PM. I am getting everything replaced on the front end..... id rather send it out than let it get thrown in the garbage!
Are you getting rid of the bumper? I need one! Mine was creamed by an illegal without a drivers license and my insurance won't cover it so I am sourcing everything.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Are you getting rid of the bumper? I need one! Mine was creamed by an illegal without a drivers license and my insurance won't cover it so I am sourcing everything.
I will definitely see if the shop will let me keep it.

If they will, I am sure that you can get it for cheap. Only thing wrong is some cracks in the paint on the bumper. (its silver in color) I it is a bit mis-shapen as well, but I think once its off the car it will be fine.

PM me your number and ill keep you updated via text message.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Finally getting my sky back today! All repainted and fixed better than when I bought it.

The only problem is, I won't want to drive it now for fear of hurting my new paint!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in