Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   General Saturn Sky Discussion (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   DIY: Saturn Sky Red Line Oil Change (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/diy-saturn-sky-red-line-oil-change-32635/)

Yogi 09-10-2010 04:44 PM

I haven't tried it but I read that a 1-1/4" socket will also work. :D

bitshftr 09-11-2010 09:15 PM

32 millimeters = 1.25984252 inches

johnfasty 12-13-2010 10:23 AM

It turned into a complete mess last time I did it. I will have a professional garage do it next time.

JimVonBaden 12-13-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanepratt (Post 506113)
I tried the 32 mm and it is the right size,it's just that something right above the oil filter is blocking me from fully putting the socket on the hex nut on top of the oil filter. looks like it is something going into the engine. I'm not too inclined on mechanics,but I have always changed my own oil. just wondering if there is a shallower socket and were can i buy it?

You probably need a swivel adapter to make it work at an angle.

I know, old post, but others might be curious too.

Jim :cool:

PS Great pictorial!

cfjara 12-14-2010 04:22 PM

yes you need a swivel adapter along with a 6 inch extension for convenience.

JimVonBaden 02-03-2011 12:15 PM

Monadzback 02-03-2011 02:29 PM

I like that drain plug. Where did you get that?

JimVonBaden 02-03-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monadzback (Post 519144)
I like that drain plug. Where did you get that?

Qwik*Valve*::*Search*results

Works great, and easy to install.

Monadzback 02-03-2011 03:23 PM

I see you used that adapter also. Is this required or were you just being cautious?

JimVonBaden 02-03-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monadzback (Post 519147)
I see you used that adapter also. Is this required or were you just being cautious?

Someone else did it without, but it would be so tight it might not work without two washers to space it out IMHO. It just depends on where your threads start rotationally.

Maxima 02-03-2011 04:40 PM

Just a heads up. Do NOT install your Fumoto valve the way JimVonBaden has. The way he has it set up, the valve handle faces downwards, and should he encounter some road debris, all the debris has to do is pull down and backwards, as it naturally would, and it would open the valve, dumping your oil.

You and JVB should use a different washer than the one provided, with a slightly thicker/thinner profile, so that the valve, when tightened, will have the handle for the valve either towards the top or front to prevent accidental valve opening.

I've mentioned this to JVB in the past.

JimVonBaden 02-03-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 519154)
Just a heads up. Do NOT install your Fumoto valve the way JimVonBaden has. The way he has it set up, the valve handle faces downwards, and should he encounter some road debris, all the debris has to do is pull down and backwards, as it naturally would, and it would open the valve, dumping your oil.

You and JVB should use a different washer than the one provided, with a slightly thicker/thinner profile, so that the valve, when tightened, will have the handle for the valve either towards the top or front to prevent accidental valve opening.

I've mentioned this to JVB in the past.

I agree, sort of. If you face it any direction but the 9:00 position you MIGHT have an issue. Might being the operative word. Realistically it would have to catch it, pull it down, then back, to open the valve. While it is possible, it could happen no matter what position you place the valve. Is it more likely in this position, maybe, but all positions have some small element of risk.

If I had a selection of washers available when I put the valve in I may have turned it another 90, or 180, but I honestly do not believe this is a big issue. If I did, I would have stayed with the standard bolt plug.

IMHO the larger risk to my position is the build-up of crud, salts and dirt in it making it hard to open, or causing some corrosion. I'm not overly worried about that either.:cheers:

Monadzback 02-03-2011 05:23 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

JohnWR 02-03-2011 06:38 PM

I do not think I would ever put a non-locking valve on an oil sump. Even if it is a small chance, it could open when i didn't want it to, and the risk to reward is just too large to be worth it. Saving less than a minute, once or twice a year, seems to be a really small payback.

Maxima 02-03-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRinKY (Post 519171)
I do not think I would ever put a non-locking valve on an oil sump. Even if it is a small chance, it could open when i didn't want it to, and the risk to reward is just too large to be worth it. Saving less than a minute, once or twice a year, seems to be a really small payback.

It's not just the time saving for me. The part I like in particular is not needing a catch pan, the cleaning of a catch pan when you're done, and the much higher likely hood of drips on the floor.

One thing in particular I like is that I got one like this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...aZnxAl_LgA&t=1

With a hose on the end of it, the oil can flow directly into a bottle, with no need for an oil catch pan, and the valve can be opened and closed as you please. So if you only have 1 quart/litre bottles, you can stop the flow as you switch catch bottles.

Just my take on it for my usage/needs.