DIY: Saturn Sky Red Line Oil Change - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I agree, sort of. If you face it any direction but the 9:00 position you MIGHT have an issue. Might being the operative word. Realistically it would have to catch it, pull it down, then back, to open the valve. While it is possible, it could happen no matter what position you place the valve. Is it more likely in this position, maybe, but all positions have some small element of risk.

If I had a selection of washers available when I put the valve in I may have turned it another 90, or 180, but I honestly do not believe this is a big issue. If I did, I would have stayed with the standard bolt plug.

IMHO the larger risk to my position is the build-up of crud, salts and dirt in it making it hard to open, or causing some corrosion. I'm not overly worried about that either.

Jim
So why not just move it to the 9 'o' clock position?

By the way, I'm not sure if it was you that I had debate with as to whether to go with a Fram Sure-Drain or the Fumoto. I ended up getting one of each. I personally like the Fram's valve design better than the Fumoto's on a purely theoretical/hypothetical aspect. But I ended up installing the Fumoto mostly because I ended up thinking the tool-less functionality of the Fumoto's valve makes it more fool proof than the Fram. If I used the Fram, I'd end being paranoid about losing the release cap/tube, or damaging it. Yes I know I can always go back to the stock plug, but again, might lose it right? Anyways, just

Oh, and yes, as soon as I installed mine, I had mine in the same 6 'o' clock position as you do. Was not ok with it at all, and ended up using another washer (I do a lot of car work, so I stuff like this around) that positioned it at 9 'o' clock as I wanted it. Oh, and I got one of the locking 'C' clips as well.

Are you running the 'C' clip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
GT!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxima View Post

By the way, I'm not sure if it was you that I had debate with as to whether to go with a Fram Sure-Drain or the Fumoto. I ended up getting one of each. I personally like the Fram's valve design better than the Fumoto's on a purely theoretical/hypothetical aspect. But I ended up installing the Fumoto mostly because I ended up thinking the tool-less functionality of the Fumoto's valve makes it more fool proof than the Fram. If I used the Fram, I'd end being paranoid about losing the release cap/tube, or damaging it. Yes I know I can always go back to the stock plug, but again, might lose it right? Anyways, just

Oh, and yes, as soon as I installed mine, I had mine in the same 6 'o' clock position as you do. Was not ok with it at all, and ended up using another washer (I do a lot of car work, so I stuff like this around) that positioned it at 9 'o' clock as I wanted it. Oh, and I got one of the locking 'C' clips as well.

They only recommend the c-clip for extreme off-road usage. My Sky doesn't see any of that, yours may be different

-GT
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 PM
GT!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
IMHO the larger risk to my position is the build-up of crud, salts and dirt in it making it hard to open, or causing some corrosion. I'm not overly worried about that either.

Jim
If someone was worried about this (was it in this thread?), you could always put some kind of cover over the valve portion. I suspect a simple plastic baggy held on with an eleastic band would work, and it would still be easier than a bolt. I don't think it would get so hot as to melt it?

Anyway, I'm not worried either and have no plans to do the above.

-GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Like I said, I did not have a spare gasket or two, so it is what it is. I surely am not going to drain out fresh oil to move it.

Like I also said, I do not think it is much of a risk, so I probably will not later.

The reason I put it on is so I do not have to jack the car for an oil change, and it is easy and less messy. No "C" clip.

This is by far not my first rodeo, see my sigline, so I am comfortable with my decisions.

Yes, it was me you debated with. We all choose our own level of acceptable risk, this is mine, yours is different. No right or wrong here, just opinions IMHO.

Jim

One can not hide from karma!
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 AM

I wll be searching lowes today for a diy of this. Maybe I can make this for like 10 bucks.

peace out.
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monadzback View Post
I wll be searching lowes today for a diy of this. Maybe I can make this for like 10 bucks.
If you want cheap, go to your local auto parts store and pick up one of the alternative ones like Maxima has. www.amazon.com and search sure drain.
Jim

Last edited by JimVonBaden; 02-04-2011 at 08:38 AM.
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Link no worky

peace out.
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Link no worky
Odd, anyhow, Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more Sure Drain.

Jim

post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the How-To!

I appreciate your time and effort
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Amazon carries the Fumoto also!
Amazon.com: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve F107N 12mm-1.75: Automotive Amazon.com: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve F107N 12mm-1.75: Automotive

"Black Bart"
2008 Onyx Black Redline with Black Convertible Top
5 Speed Stick
Single Disk Monsoon Sound
Black Interior with Black Leather Seats
GM MB-222 Chrome "Snowflake" Wheels
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 PM

Just make sure if you go with either, you need the extension, and don't be lazy and use the supplied washers that will orient the Fumoto in a dangerous position (facing downwards as JimVonBaden's does, is the worst possible position for install on the kappa). Do yourself the favor and spend the $0.50 or so on a washer that will orient it in a significantly safer position, ideally at the 9 'o' clock position on the Kappa.

You should be able to use the Fumoto's extension with the Fram Sure Drain.

In either case, it will probably end up costing you about $30 by the time you're done. Shop around for the extension, prices on that vary greatly. The valves themselves are pretty closely priced otherwise. And just my personal opinion on this one, but get the Fumoto with the nipple, or the Fram Sure Drain. That way, you can attach a hose, and drain oil directly into a bottle, instead of needing a catch pan. Definitely makes oil changes faster/easier than doing it without a hose and a catch pan.
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Just make sure if you go with either, you need the extension, and don't be lazy and use the supplied washers that will orient the Fumoto in a dangerous position (facing downwards as JimVonBaden's does, is the worst possible position for install on the kappa). Do yourself the favor and spend the $0.50 or so on a washer that will orient it in a significantly safer position, ideally at the 9 'o' clock position on the Kappa.

Wait, what? You mean I don't have mine right? Why didn't you tell me AGAIN!

Jim

post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM

well anyways, lowes has valves, all in standard, and all huge. advanced and autozone dont carry the fram anymore. ****. I have to order it.

peace out.
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Wait, what? You mean I don't have mine right? Why didn't you tell me AGAIN!

Jim
No, no you don't. Just as you have admitted before

And it wasn't to hassle you, it was to prevent other people from running into the same problem as you have.
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
well anyways, lowes has valves, all in standard, and all huge. advanced and autozone dont carry the fram anymore. ****. I have to order it.
Have you looked into some specialty shops? There's a shop called Acklands Grainger in Canada that sells industrial type equipment/supplies, and I've seen 1/4" diameter ball valves there before.

At $30 or so, honestly, I'd suggest just getting the Fumoto or Fram. You'll probably spend about $15-20 for the valve itself, and will likely need an extension as well, that will likely be $5-10. For the small savings, I'd suggest getting the Fumoto/Fram, and knowing that it will be compatible for use in high temperature, and oily conditions. Just my

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in