Door panel top has faded. - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stungjoe View Post
I have been Youtube-ing the heck out of videos on ABS glue. It turns out Acetone will melt ABS plastic.
I have a fair amount of experience with my 3D printer, using acetone as you describe. It sounds easier than it can turn out. If you have to use glue, then I'd suggest springing for the correct stuff.

HOWEVER, before you go that route, please check that the inner (padded) panel *is* actually ABS. I have a strong feeling that that panel is nylon. Try some nail polish remover (or pure acetone if you already have it) and rub some into the back of the panel, see if it 'smears'. Pretty sure the outer panel is solventable (is that a word?) like John said, but I'd check the inner one first.
stungjoe likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Will do TS.

I will have to finish breaking the rest of the factory welds to remove that leather inner panel so I can dye the top of the door panel.

I sure the heck wished I could just buy new panels. The LH is not producing itself anywhere! I can get the RH panel in blue or red stitching

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:06 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Think I saw on a recent episode of Wheeler Dealers this past year, where Mike took a front nose splitter from a Mazda RX 7 (?)
in for a heat seam treatment welding of plastic/abs parts together. What looked like a soldering iron was used, light sanding then respray.

Once you finish your repairs, dye your pieces, re-install everything and are satisfied, the faded out look gone from view then what?
The sun will beat down on this part again, fading it over time, like all cars get when out in the elements?

Windshield sun shade blocker/silver foil for the front windshield, but what about the side windows, the top of the panel exposed to UV rays?
IF your car sits for awhile out in the sun, you might want to think about, a DYI project to protect this newly dyed panel from
more sun fade in the future? Buy an extra big sunshade for a truck windshield, cut this down to fit, into your side windows as extra added protection to your investment and hard work you have put in re-dying your door panels?

Under a car cover, in a garage, under a shaded area when parked will help with the UV fade to plastic parts, but if that is not an option then the cheap fix to the UV fade would be one of these foil shades for both the drivers side/passenger side windows.
I have seen this used in the Marine industry for boat portholes to keep heat/light out of the interior cabin.
It might work for your fading door panels?
Less costs, less work X2, less fade.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 06-18-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I sure the heck wished I could just buy new panels. The LH is not producing itself anywhere! I can get the RH panel in blue or red stitching
Did you see this?: https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...ml#post1300841

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeppers thanks I saw that but I plan on dyeing mine if I can't get brand new ones. Nothing wrong with mine just faded.

Joe

FLASHED

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I am fairly certain that those panels are ABS like every other piece of plastic in the car. I have had really good success using the solvent cement for ABS pipe the you can get at any home improvement or hardware store.
@stungjoe, I was just reminded by another thread (slaps head)... the majority of panels in our car - including the doors - are polypropylene, NOT ABS. So solvent glues will not work. In fact most, if not all, glues will not stick to polypropylene, or not very well anyway.

So the re-melt or screw methods are your only choice, I'm afraid.

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
@stungjoe, I was just reminded by another thread (slaps head)... the majority of panels in our car - including the doors - are polypropylene, NOT ABS. So solvent glues will not work. In fact most, if not all, glues will not stick to polypropylene, or not very well anyway.

You are certainly correct about the door probably not being ABS. Smooth parts tend to be ABS (gearshift surround, piano black parts, etc) but textured parts, according to the spares I have just looked through, are usually either polypropylene (marked PP) or thermoplasic olefin (marked >TPO<). I looked over my door panel but there is so much crap bonded to it that the molding marks appear to be covered. The little box around the door release handle is Nylon 6, but the rest of it appears to be a mystery, at least for now.

I went through our work instructions and found these notes that may help:
>ABS< can be easily bonded with the cement used for ABS pipe. These will mostly be smooth parts
>TPO< Thermoplastic Olefin is most of the textured dashboard parts. I have used 3M ScotchWeld DP8005 and LocTite 3030
GM PP 033 is polypropylene and we use Loctite 401 Prism Instant Adhesive with 770 Prism Primer. I have been told that you can use other superglues if you first use a primer or flame treat the surface, but no one seems to have actual experience with that.
>PA6< Polyamide 6 (Nylon) Also works well with Loctite 401 but doesn't need the primer

Or, as you note, there is always heat and/or screws,

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Last edited by JohnWR; 06-20-2019 at 11:32 PM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post

Probably why they melted them at the factory. I'm digging the spring nut idea at the moment but will have to get the panels back off when I can.

JohnWR Thanks for the markings breakdown! I will look for the markings to confirm as I will indeed have to remove that "crap" to get at the welds. I hate to remove that "carpeting" insulation, noise reducer...whatever it is. Shame as it's in pristine condition.

Joe

FLASHED

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Probably why they melted them at the factory. I'm digging the spring nut idea at the moment but will have to get the panels back off when I can.

JohnWR Thanks for the markings breakdown! I will look for the markings to confirm as I will indeed have to remove that "crap" to get at the welds. I hate to remove that "carpeting" insulation, noise reducer...whatever it is. Shame as it's in pristine condition.
Actually they melted it in place because it is cheaper, faster, less trouble, more reliable, and doesn't involve chemicals that require paperwork and that expire and have to be disposed of.

Don't try to peel the insulation, use a straight-edge razor blade or paint scraper to shave it off.

John
Lexington, KY
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post

Don't try to peel the insulation, use a straight-edge razor blade or paint scraper to shave it off.
Oh no! Me and sharp objects...haha I might just buy that passenger side off of Ebay and save half the hassle of this project.

On a side note, since I know you have a Carbon Flash, I had this youngling (details cars trying to work his way through college) clean up my car and whatever he used on the grey inserts in the seats REALLY cleaned them up well. I never seen them this clean. I know you're not a fan(as I am not) of that two tone color scheme but at least now it's clean again.

EDIT: I just thought about this; I am SO glad they didn't use grey inserts in the door!

Joe

FLASHED

Last edited by stungjoe; 06-21-2019 at 06:27 AM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Oh no! Me and sharp objects...haha I might just buy that passenger side off of Ebay and save half the hassle of this project.

On a side note, since I know you have a Carbon Flash, I had this youngling (details cars trying to work his way through college) clean up my car and whatever he used on the grey inserts in the seats REALLY cleaned them up well. I never seen them this clean. I know you're not a fan(as I am not) of that two tone color scheme but at least now it's clean again.

EDIT: I just thought about this; I am SO glad they didn't use grey inserts in the door!
Yeah, I don't particularly like it, but it would be nice to have it clean. If you can find out what he used ......

John
Lexington, KY
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Something akin to the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads but like ultra fine. He got them from a detailing supply place. He said they were like 3000 grit. I was afraid it would be too abrasive but the grains in the leather stood out when he was finished. He then conditioned the leather and it's really soft and smells like a new car now.

I will ask him for the brand name.

Joe

FLASHED

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in