Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/)
-   General Saturn Sky Discussion (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Fan Blower Resistor Replacement (https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/fan-blower-resistor-replacement-95885/)

1994SC2 07-07-2019 01:09 PM

Fan Blower Resistor Replacement
 
4 Attachment(s)
In late 2017 I lost all cool air from my AC system. Thanks to this forum and some poking around I was able to self-diagnose the problem. I hope these image filled posts help anyone else trying to repair the same problem.

After checking fuses I followed instructions to try to identify the cause of the cool air loss. One such possible explanation was the resistor. To access the blower and the wiring system you need to drop down the glovebox, detach it and reach awkwardly under the dash region. Other threads cover that process quite well so I will skip over it.

In my situation, the fan blower resistor and wiring harness had cooked up somehow and the electrical shock fried off one of the copper connectors. After getting very good at accessing the underbelly of the Sky via the glove compartment I removed all of the flawed components just some pulling and wire snipping.

You can see the damage points and removed components below.

...continued >

1994SC2 07-07-2019 01:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The next step was to obtain the replacement part, which was in stock at Advance Auto Parts - though it was the only one in inventory. It was a one day sale so items were 20% off but the item was still nearly $70.

Of course online would have been wiser way to obtain the part... as a comparison between Amazon and Autozone

Before you begin, you should of course be certain to disconnect the battery and get the right tools set aside for the job. I also suggest parking in shade or a garage with a gardening mat as you will be on your side/back a while.

...continued >

1994SC2 07-07-2019 01:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
You will likely need to strip the wires to connect them to the new harness. Though there is a reasonable amount of excess slack in the wires from GM one thing that that was confusing in my situation was the coloring of the wires, which either faded over time, or simply didn't match perfectly to the aftermarket part. An OEM part may have better color matching.

Once stripping I then married up the correct wires to connect to the harness which then plugs in to the resistor.

...continued >

1994SC2 07-07-2019 01:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I didn't do much to make the wire connections more permanent than needed given there would be no tension on the wires. Just a little twist and wink effort. The remainder of the connection is simply plugging in to to the harness and resetting it with a bolt back in its holding position.

After reattaching the battery and turning on the AC I swear it was never so cold. Have a beer to celebrate.

As a disclaimer, to each their own and reporting on my method is not to say it is the best but I know so many things in life are solved by google and some other idiot stumbling through before me and leaving breadcrumbs so I hope this can be of some assistance to another soul in the future.

TomatoSoup 07-07-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1994SC2 (Post 1301809)
one thing that that was confusing in my situation was the coloring of the wires, which either faded over time, or simply didn't match perfectly to the aftermarket part. An OEM part may have better color matching.

Looking at the 2008 schematic, the original colors are correct (there ARE two orange wires). For others doing this, you should take pics before (as 1994SC2 did) so you can match the wires by position in the connector.

(Interestingly, in my older 2006 NA schematic, one of the two orange wires is shown as black - the one next to the yellow.)

Robotech 07-08-2019 12:13 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the problem Hummers were recalled for? I remember somewhere in the dark damp recesses of my aging brain something about us having an HVAC issue sometimes similar to the one that GM recalled the H2 or H3 for.

TomatoSoup 07-08-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotech (Post 1301859)
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the problem Hummers were recalled for? I remember somewhere in the dark damp recesses of my aging brain something about us having an HVAC issue sometimes similar to the one that GM recalled the H2 or H3 for.

What, this ol' thing?


Quote:

Recall Number 15V421000
Recall Date 07/01/2015
Component VISIBILITY:DEFROSTER/DEFOGGER SYSTEM:WINDSHIELD:BLOWER


Summary
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2006-2010 Hummer H3 vehicles manufactured February 5, 2005, to May 24, 2010, and 2009-2010 Hummer H3T vehicles manufactured May 21, 2008, to May 24, 2010. In the affected vehicles, the connector module that controls the blower motor speed for the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system may overheat.

Consequence
If the blower motor connector module overheats, it can increase the risk of a fire.

What Owners Should Do
GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace part of the blower motor connector and harness, free of charge. The recall began February 26, 2016. Owners may contact Hummer customer service at 1-800-732-5493. GM's number for this recall is 15042.
(Extract from: https://www.cars.com/research/hummer-h3/recalls/ )

Robotech 07-08-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomatoSoup (Post 1301861)
What, this ol' thing?




(Extract from: https://www.cars.com/research/hummer-h3/recalls/ )

Yea, that's the one! Is this the same plug?

TomatoSoup 07-08-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotech (Post 1301869)
Yea, that's the one! Is this the same plug?

Well, from this thread, it looks like it is: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...call-gm-35541/

SatSky 09-26-2019 06:24 PM

I completed a recall complaint with the NHTSA on the item, indicating that the Hummer issue is also the Sky/Solstice issue

SatSky 11-04-2019 01:23 PM

I elevated the case and filed a formal NHTSA Defect Petition on the problem. Which means that they have to review the information and not just allow for the collection and they have to formally respond to me. Whether the response is positive or negative, I can't say, but the NHTSA has to acknowledge the information presented and me.

Robotech 11-04-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SatSky (Post 1307403)
I elevated the case and filed a formal NHTSA Defect Petition on the problem. Which means that they have to review the information and not just allow for the collection and they have to formally respond to me. Whether the response is positive or negative, I can't say, but the NHTSA has to acknowledge the information presented and me.

They will but what evidence did you include in the Petition? I found that digging up the evidence is the hardest part and if you don't kind of poit them in the right direction it may go nowhere.

SatSky 11-05-2019 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotech (Post 1307415)
They will but what evidence did you include in the Petition? I found that digging up the evidence is the hardest part and if you don't kind of poit them in the right direction it may go nowhere.

Robotech,
I have gone through every forum that I could find and provided the complaint data, I have gone through the NHTSA online portal and have gone through each of the vehicles (Sky and Solstice) and found any and all claims that users have made on the defective part(s), I have flagged the Hummer recall as a basis for the recall amendment, pointed out that the part(s) are the same defective parts that were made in Slovakia, pointed to the history of the cars and showed data that the vehicles were made as a grab bag of parts from the other vehicles including the hummer, I have argued with an administrator when he tried to indicate that the make\design of the vehicle (Hummer) could have been the reason that the part failed (when I included the under secretary in the communication, the administrator went radio silent, I have pointed them to the aftermarket parts that were exclusively designed to repair the defective problem and was able to show that the common denominator is the part(s) and the repair part(s) are only designed for the Hummer, Sky, and Solstice all same years of 2006-2010 for all vehicles, provided examples of the defective part failure in the Hummer and the Sky/Solstice vehicles. I made sure to include the undersecretary for the NHTSA, the director of the Office of Defects Investigation, legal counsel, and the United States Secretary of Transportation. Further, I pushed back and I am asking for an explanation on why under the Humvee, was not the additional vehicles included, as the part synergy was easily able to be found by an administrator or an examinator if they would have asked GM or did a common and basic research. Provided them with an article from 2013, where a reporter had completed and analysis of the parts, the Hummer recall and the fact that the Sky and the Solstice were not a part of the effort and the article included a review of the failure, reports that were on file with the NHTSA, etc.

I may be something.


If there is anything else that anyone would like me to add, I will be more than happy to amend the petition.

Robotech 11-05-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SatSky (Post 1307437)
Robotech,
I have gone through every forum that I could find and provided the complaint data, I have gone through the NHTSA online portal and have gone through each of the vehicles (Sky and Solstice) and found any and all claims that users have made on the defective part(s), I have flagged the Hummer recall as a basis for the recall amendment, pointed out that the part(s) are the same defective parts that were made in Slovakia, pointed to the history of the cars and showed data that the vehicles were made as a grab bag of parts from the other vehicles including the hummer, I have argued with an administrator when he tried to indicate that the make\design of the vehicle (Hummer) could have been the reason that the part failed (when I included the under secretary in the communication, the administrator went radio silent, I have pointed them to the aftermarket parts that were exclusively designed to repair the defective problem and was able to show that the common denominator is the part(s) and the repair part(s) are only designed for the Hummer, Sky, and Solstice all same years of 2006-2010 for all vehicles, provided examples of the defective part failure in the Hummer and the Sky/Solstice vehicles. I made sure to include the undersecretary for the NHTSA, the director of the Office of Defects Investigation, legal counsel, and the United States Secretary of Transportation. Further, I pushed back and I am asking for an explanation on why under the Humvee, was not the additional vehicles included, as the part synergy was easily able to be found by an administrator or an examinator if they would have asked GM or did a common and basic research. Provided them with an article from 2013, where a reporter had completed and analysis of the parts, the Hummer recall and the fact that the Sky and the Solstice were not a part of the effort and the article included a review of the failure, reports that were on file with the NHTSA, etc.

I may be something.


If there is anything else that anyone would like me to add, I will be more than happy to amend the petition.

The items I emphasized in your quote are the things that will make the difference. They want numbers, data, facts. When presented with this the "make\design of the vehicle (Hummer) could have been the reason that the part failed" theory no longer is valid since you are showing the same failure in the same way on the Kappa platform. This was the same theory presented with the PPS mats and the data I presented countered and disproved that argument.

While it is merely conjecture, I'm willing to bet the reason GM didn't address the problem in the Kappa when they did with the Hummer is because the lower rate of failure in the Kappa. This isn't to say fewer failed in the Kappa per numbers of vehicles produced but just the overall number of failures is probably quite low while the car was under warranty...so GM ignored it and didn't take the extra steps (or extra cost) of resolving it in our platform.

Good work sir. Can't wait to see where it goes.

SatSky 11-05-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotech (Post 1307449)
The items I emphasized in your quote are the things that will make the difference. They want numbers, data, facts. When presented with this the "make\design of the vehicle (Hummer) could have been the reason that the part failed" theory no longer is valid since you are showing the same failure in the same way on the Kappa platform. This was the same theory presented with the PPS mats and the data I presented countered and disproved that argument.

While it is merely conjecture, I'm willing to bet the reason GM didn't address the problem in the Kappa when they did with the Hummer is because the lower rate of failure in the Kappa. This isn't to say fewer failed in the Kappa per numbers of vehicles produced but just the overall number of failures is probably quite low while the car was under warranty...so GM ignored it and didn't take the extra steps (or extra cost) of resolving it in our platform.

Good work sir. Can't wait to see where it goes.


Robotech

Thank you.

I think that the biggest issue is that Sky and Solstice owners just repaired the items themselves and did not take the time to file an NHTS claim..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome