Saturn Sky Forum banner

Fog lights

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  wspohn 
#1 ·
Is there a way to have the fog lights on a soon as the car start, instead to press the switch?

I mean presently every time you start the sky and want the fog lights I need to press the switch

I will prefer have the fog light be ON automatically when the car is running.

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance for your help

#2 ·
Yes. Don't be one of 'those' people that feels compelled to have your fog lights on all the time because they think it "looks cool".

Fog lights are, as the name suggests, for fog. Although I admit they are pretty effing useless for that. What they ARE good for is blinding oncoming drivers when the roads are wet.

Just say no.

#6 ·
Everything seems to be too difficult for the snowflake generation....time to get a crank to start the engine.

By the way, our fog lights are really not fog lights...if I recall and I haven't done this in a long long time...they are the identical lights as your running lights...or your high beams...TC, if u recall, u can give him the number. I too am a snowflake. I don't want to do anything.
I'm one of 'those' people. When you turn on your fog lights, your Daytime Running Lights (DRL)...which are you headlights and the exact same H11 bulb as what are in the fog lights but closer in elevation to oncoming drivers and in projection headlight housings...turn off and the upper Accent/Marker/Running/WhateverTheHellTheyAreCalled lights in the headlights come on.

My understanding is what makes them fog lights and why they operate like they do in daytime is their placement. Fog is usually thinner towards the ground and thicker the further away it gets from the ground. Thus, during the day when it's foggy, riding around with your DRLs on will project light into the fog which makes it harder to see through it...kind of defeating the purpose of having lights on. Fog lights are down low where they can project further through the less dense fog and not reflect off the fog blinding you as the driver. This is why you shouldn't hit your high beams in fog because, since they are designed to project even higher than the headlights do it makes the problem even worse.

#3 · (Edited)
Everything seems to be too difficult for the snowflake generation....time to get a crank to start the engine.

By the way, our fog lights are really not fog lights...if I recall and I haven't done this in a long long time...they are the identical lights as your running lights...or your high beams...TC, if u recall, u can give him the number. I too am a snowflake. I don't want to do anything.

#18 ·
This one has both. Actually can hand crank it to start if the battery dies.

Reactions: marlboromike
#4 · (Edited)
While I can count on my hand the number of times I have use my fog lights...
What's so hard about using a switch to turn something on... not like it's rocket science here. On/Off self explanation on a How To.

Fog lights use to be that unsightly yellow lens of old.. had them on my old Chevy van that I installed, along with driving lights.

On the old chevy bumper the lower or bottom had holes drilled in it, so I installed driving lights at road level.
On the upper or top half of the bumper I had the fog lights, close in the middle above the tag. When the low beams were on, plus the 2 sets of extra lights, the road at night was lit up.

On our car, I don't think they help with "seeing the road in the fog", more like they help you "to be seen by other drivers". Even with NO fog out, they help the low beams some, but then that's why you have high beams for extra light at night. Changing the bulbs to HID or LED conversion might increase your light projection level, as some owners here have done this mod. You could... add 747 landing lights for even greater impact out of the city...

I guess if you really wanted to have them on, all the time when ever the headlights are needed you could, hot wire them into your parking lamps, so maybe the day/night sensor will kick them ON... for you.

I do check my lights every month or so, yes even the fogs... to make sure they all work. No need for the police to have a reason to pull you over for a bulb being out. Know what I mean? $$$ I run mine in the daytime with just the parking lamps lit up.

To use the designed switch from the factory or not... you the owner / operator has the final say.

LAC

#9 ·
You could... add 747 landing lights for even greater impact out of the city...

LAC
Back in the day, I actually had landing lights from a light plane as driving lights on my '65 Mustang. They drew so much current, I had to set them up with a relay because the OEM headlight switch couldn't handle the current, and even with the engine running, they would run the battery down in a hour.

#10 · (Edited)
California is a state with trucks lifted so they can 37's and the fog/driving lights are at eye level in most cars. HID/LED to blind you. And it seems about every third truck is that way.

As TS stated they are for a specific purpose which they fail miserably at. I seldom turn mine on. Really don't see any improvement with them on or off. I have my rear fog light wired into the front ones, so seldom turn them on unless it is foggy. But never drive the car when the weather is perfect, well once and still paying/cleaning for that. lol

I had HID's on my FJ. Bright as hell, but never saw any real benefit to my vision from them. Really could not see down the road any further, but everyone else had to show me their brights. Threw them away about a year ago. I do have a 40 inch and a 20 inch LED light bar that does light up the world, so have never had anyone's bright lights bother me for very long.

#14 ·
skersfan, you give the oncoming drivers a sunburn when you "remind" them to lower their high-beams? It would startle me so badly that I wouldn't turn my high-beams on for the rest of my travels!

It's not just CA: it's everywhere w/ the trucks...and around here there's only one person driving it, and ONLY about 1 of 10 hauling anything, pulling anything, or using it for dirty ("real") work. My new neighbor hauls more stuff and pulls more of his work stuff than any person I've ever seen. He is making up for the rest of the "lot queen" pickups around my parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.