Fuel shuts off when filling tank - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:37 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebreath View Post
The only thing that would kink would be the tube to the tank. How could that happen? I pulled the nozel out of the little hole and kept pumping slow and watched the gas back up till it would have ran out of the tube and onto the cement. That was yesterday. Today I put $10.00 in, full speed and no problem. Sorta scratching my head.
I am going with an air pocket...we will never know...glad it repaired itself
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Quote:
The only thing that would kink would be the tube to the tank. How could that happen? I pulled the nozel out of the little hole and kept pumping slow and watched the gas back up till it would have ran out of the tube and onto the cement. That was yesterday. Today I put $10.00 in, full speed and no problem. Sorta scratching my head.
I am going with an air pocket...we will never know...glad it repaired itself
I think it was the Purple People Eaters, myself.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
As I understand it, once the canister is clogged it is done, and drying out doesn't help. That may or may not be correct as I have not experienced it.

Moose: If you weren't seeing the fuel backing up and then not backing up I would advise that you should use the same pump every time if you are trying to find out what is causing the problem. A different pump, even at the same station, can be set for more or less back pressure.

Since you can actually see a difference in how the fuel is going into the tank I am more inclined to think it is the car. Maybe the vent solenoid valve is intermittently getting stuck closed, since I don't know what else could cause this. (You are turning the car off to fuel it, I am sure.)
Yes. Car is off when fueling. It is or was the car. I pulled the nozel out and watched the gas back up till it almost spilled out then it went back down. I would put more in, real slow and within 5 seconds it was ready to overflow again. I repeated that process several times. Then today put ten bucks in like normal, full speed and was fine. I will keep folks posted if it happens again. That is maddening to try and fill your car up and it takes two forevers to get it done. Gremlins?
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:42 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think it was the Purple People Eaters, myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx47qrH1GRs
44thSKY likes this.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine does the same thing, except I can only get 25 cents in then it starts. Did exactly what everyone suggested about the nossel and different stations. Ricky D from Alabama has a nice post and I took his advice on how to change it and get into that area without dropping the tank, tank has to be dropped to get to the canister and valve. It's an easy job and the part is listed on his post.

I used the metal tape that A/C people use to tape duct work together, pretty sticky stuff, and worked great to replace the piece you have to remove. I also used a hacksaw blade to cut out the area. For me, it wasn't the valve. Weather is keeping me from looking into it more since I don't have a garage so,for now I just deal with it. Good luck and post what you find out.

Benji
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
The canister sits on top of the fuel tank. It is inaccessible following normal maintenance procedures. The hatch on top of the tank gives access to the fuel pump and I think the solenoid valve but I cant remember. I would have to check our pictures. We have swapped out the canister and the valve by opening up the top of the tank. There is a thread on the Sol forum with pictures.

It sounds like the solenoid vent valve is sticking or has an intermittent connection. In the normal "off" state the valve is open allowing air to vent from the tank via the charcoal canister to atmosphere. This allows you to fill the tank and captures the vented air/fuel mixture in the charcoal. When the car is started, the vent solenoid closes and the tank is pressurized. The charcoal canister continues to vent to atmosphere to maintain internal pressure.

If the solenoid is not opening when the power is removed then the tank will not vent properly.

If you over fill the tank, the excess fuel can make its way into the charcoal filter and impede air flow. It also can cause a heavy gasoline smell when driving the car with the top down.
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Couldn't find the original by Sheb Wooley?

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Boltz View Post
Couldn't find the original by Sheb Wooley?
This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9H_cI_WCnE

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok it did it again. Nozzel shuts off after 20 cents of gas goes in. I can see it backing up in the neck. Then it slowly drains in and I repeat the process. My mechanic is not equipped to do this kind of work and suggested I call a dealer. I called the General motors dealer and they will have to remove many heavy parts and drop the gas tank and replace either the canister or the rollover ball valve in the tank. He was knowledgeable about the problem although it is rather rare he said. I am looking at, according to him sight unseen, about $1,000 to get the problem fixed. There is no way to fix this except to drop the tank which is about 6 to 8 hours for this operation. I said earlier in this post that I would keep you updated on whatever it is that I learned because very few people have heard of this problem. Any suggestions will be appreciated but this coming Tuesday the 19th it goes to the dealer.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Garage
Okay, there is a way to get to the canister without dropping the tank but I'm not familiar with this Ball Rollover Valve...

The Canister is on top of the tank next to the pump assembly. You can't reach it through the hatch for the pump assembly though. So what people do, is the remove the hatch for the pump assembly then cut the floor of the trunk to extend that opening out over the canister. Then then take the piece of the floor they cut out, bolt it to the pump assembly hatch in the two or three places the hatch originally screwed to that part of the floor, and then make some tabs they can bolt to that removed floor assembly that will hand over the remaining floor assembly in the car and screw down into that. Obviously when the trunk carpet goes back in you can't see any of the modification. Really this is what GM should have done to begin with but they didn't. I know there is a writeup on here somewhere and naturally the dealership won't do this but there is a way to save you some considerable fundage.

Now if someone has a parts diagram of the gas tank and we can figure out this rollover ball valve thing we might be able to help find an alternative to this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Worth a try?

Sometimes when a gremlin gets into the SKY disconnect the battery and go for a full computer reset.

Good luck.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Okay, there is a way to get to the canister without dropping the tank but I'm not familiar with this Ball Rollover Valve...

Now if someone has a parts diagram of the gas tank and we can figure out this rollover ball valve thing we might be able to help find an alternative to this.
I just can't get over the fact that you do not have a service manual. But I guess as long as the rest of us do ......

The rollover valve is at the top of the tank, part of the evap hose quick-disconnect fitting, and is a ball-float check valve that prevents fuel from flowing out of the evap hose if the car rolls over. Hence the name.

Given the description of the problem I think the cause is more likely to be the evap vent valve occasionally sticking closed.
Also listed as a cause of poor fuel fill quality is a fuel fill limiter vent valve that can stick closed.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
Sometimes when a gremlin gets into the SKY [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif[/IMG] disconnect the battery and go for a full computer reset.

Good luck. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/cheers.gif[/IMG]
I asked the service guy at the dealership if this was ANYTHING to do with electrical. He said sadly no.
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post

I just can't get over the fact that you do not have a service manual. But I guess as long as the rest of us do ......

The rollover valve is at the top of the tank, part of the evap hose quick-disconnect fitting, and is a ball-float check valve that prevents fuel from flowing out of the evap hose if the car rolls over. Hence the name.

Given the description of the problem I think the cause is more likely to be the evap vent valve occasionally sticking closed.
Also listed as a cause of poor fuel fill quality is a fuel fill limiter vent valve that can stick closed.
I dont have a service manual because I am not a car fix it guy except the basic stuff however since being partially disabled I farm out 95% of the work that you Sky guys do yourself. The fellow at the dealership said he was familiar with this problem and I will have it diagnosed for sure in one week.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:22 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Only go to Tier One gas stations

Quote:
I asked the service guy at the dealership.....
Back in the day the service guys at real SATURN dealerships didn't know much about the SKY.
No reason to expect better quality from GM techs these days, that's for sure.

Here are couple of old threads, almost 100 posts on the subject:

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...01/index2.html

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...80/index4.html

PS: Moose... pretty sure that comment about the service manual was meant for Robo

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in