Fuel shuts off when filling tank - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Ok. If anyone is interested my Skys fuel fill problem is fixed. 2 days and $2,000.00 to do it. A bit over 1400 labor which is what happens when you have neither the knowledge or the body that can do that fix. No one would touch it but the dealer so here I am and the car fills fine. I can't be too upset when I stop and think of the car that I still get to drive. To give it a little perspective I have three bass guitars. I paid over that much for just one of them. It's all about what you're willing to spend your money on and how you spend your money on it. Evap canister was about $600 and, apparently went south. Sorry I had to spend the bucks but glad its back on the road.

Last edited by Moosebreath; 03-21-2019 at 07:42 PM.
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:56 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebreath View Post
Ok. If anyone is interested my Skys fuel fill problem is fixed. 2 days and $2,000.00 to do it. A bit over 1400 labor which is what happens when you have neither the knowledge or the body that can do that fix. No one would touch it but the dealer so here I am and the car fills fine. I can't be too upset when I stop and think of the car that I still get to drive. To give it a little perspective I have three bass guitars. I paid over that much for just one of them. It's all about what you're willing to spend your money on and how you spend your money on it. Evap canister was about $600 and, apparently went south. Sorry I had to spend the bucks but glad its back on the road.
You are the man!
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Quote:
You are the man!
I R the POOR man.
marlboromike likes this.
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
I R the POOR man.
But, as you said, a poor man with a hot car. That you are again able to fill with gas.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Quote:
I R the POOR man.
But, as you said, a poor man with a hot car. That you are again able to fill with gas.
You have shown wisdom, Grasshopper. Time for a flashback!
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
No owner likes to see a big bill like this however this is good for reference to this repair, IF... any other owners have this happen?
Dealer: The only shop who was willing to take on the repair. Their labor rate$ @ 95. to 105. hr. give or take. $1400... 14 hr. total labor.
Part: $600. Factory part installed with warranty. There is a chance it can be had for a cheaper price, IF it is available?
2 days w/o car...

Toll on body... none.
Hit to checkbook/credit card... priceless.
Back on road with that silly grin again.. to the gas station to fill the tank.. with $20. worth... only costs the owner 2 days and 2 grand. What a deal.

The price by the dealer for this repair. Take note, it's not cheap. It never is..

Hang tight brother, eat cheap, be poor for awhile, back to the roadway again looking cool as ever...

LAC
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Moosebreath, when you fill your tank do you often neck it up? By that I mean do you fill it until the fuel comes up the filler pipe and can't get any more in?
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
Moosebreath, when you fill your tank do you often neck it up? By that I mean do you fill it until the fuel comes up the filler pipe and can't get any more in?
SlyBob, that is a question that I learned sometime back with the SKY ownership, that as RtE puts it, never top off your tank when filling.

Until I got my SKY and learned about that issue, I always topped off the tank on all of my daily-drivers for all of those years of driving .....and that was many, many years. There never was a mention of such a problem, ever. There was never any problems either. But now with my Kappa cars, I NEVER top-off any tank fill now on any car.

So what is this strange issue about with the Kappa cars and their funny tank filling problem? What was this filter thing for anyway and its purpose? Maybe I haven't been buying cars with fancy engine requirements until the Kappas.
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
All modern vehicles have sealed fuel system to eliminate evaporative emissions. The filter is part of that system. The ECM monitors the fuel tank to ensure that it is sealed, which is why you get a check-engine light if you leave the filler cap off.
44thSKY likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
Moosebreath must be single. My wife would throw a hissy fit if I had a bill of $2000 for anything less than an engine transplant. And our marriage of 60 years would be ended by one of us killing the other........

Jim Isbell....2008 Sky Redline

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" Gen Emiliano Zapata

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in