Getting rid of "hyper flash" with LEDs - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Alright, so I tried a few different things, ended up with results that are disappointing from an "annoyance" stand point but not unexpected I guess. Daisy chaining the load adapters together in the front does not help or hurt the situation. Putting a load adapter on one tail lamp and using one LED there works (putting aside where I'd stuff the resistors if I kept them there). If I try to add a second LED taillamp without an adapter, I get the hyper flash again. So in essence for 6 LED bulbs in the turn signals + tail lamps, I would need 6 load adapters (and I guess this lines up with what RoboTech posted right before this). I don't really have an issue with the "cost" of doing this, but not entirely sure where I'd stuff all these resistors. I'll take a look at the links ChopTop put above, but I'm guessing I'd need to route them to the space between the liner and the frame of the trunk by putting a hole behind the tail lamps. Anyway. I guess this is a matter of time/effort now.

2009 Red Line
Black Ext/Red Int
Trifecta Tune
DDMWorks CAI
DDMWorks Backbone
DDMWorks Charge Tubes
Yonaka Exhaust Tips
LED Lighting all the way around.
Opel GT Antenna
Fuel Pump Insulator Upgrade
Anker Roav Viva (Alexa in-car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Garage
Talk to @TomatoSoup. I know my rears ran off one larger load resistor. I was able to tuck it under the tail light before putting it back on. (There is some room there and I've had no heating issues.) He will know what size to resistor to run to compensate for those two bulbs on each side.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Garage
Just curious to those that have completed this mod. Do you actually see any improvement while driving. I did it on my FJ and all it truly go me was pissed off people flashing me continously. I never really noticed being able to see farther down the road or any clearer, just white/blue. I ended up removing them and going back to OEM.

I do have the LED's on the motor home, and can tell a difference, but still the same problem with everyone flashing me with bright lights when mine are on dim.

I have two light bars on the FJ with plenty of light, but they are illegal in California if above the grill, unless covered.

Don't think I would change mine out either way, just wondering if there truly is an improvement in your eyes. I have seen Robo's tail lights and for me they are not near bright enough. But he has them blacked out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I do have the LED's on the motor home, and can tell a difference, but still the same problem with everyone flashing me with bright lights when mine are on dim.

Maybe they're pointed a little too high? I often see people driving around with high beams on and wonder, are they actually high beams, or are their driving lights just pointed right into my soul?

I hate seeing high beams on at night…
expostdelirium likes this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Just curious to those that have completed this mod. Do you actually see any improvement while driving. I did it on my FJ and all it truly go me was pissed off people flashing me continously. I never really noticed being able to see farther down the road or any clearer, just white/blue. I ended up removing them and going back to OEM.

I have two light bars on the FJ with plenty of light, but they are illegal in California if above the grill, unless covered.

Don't think I would change mine out either way, just wondering if there truly is an improvement in your eyes. I have seen Robo's tail lights and for me they are not near bright enough. But he has them blacked out
Before switching to LEDs, I had HIDs (which burnt out in no time leading me to using LEDs). I definitely had drivers flashing me for those, but it hasn't happened to me while using LED headlights (which I've had for awhile now) as far as I know. I think it comes down to the lumen count. I picked something that was a clear improvement over my stock halogens, but in the $50-$60 range, not the $100+ ones that are like 5x brightness. I would say the issue isn't LEDs but picking a lumen count that is "better" but still "appropriate"/not blinding for other drivers.

2009 Red Line
Black Ext/Red Int
Trifecta Tune
DDMWorks CAI
DDMWorks Backbone
DDMWorks Charge Tubes
Yonaka Exhaust Tips
LED Lighting all the way around.
Opel GT Antenna
Fuel Pump Insulator Upgrade
Anker Roav Viva (Alexa in-car)

Last edited by blasterv; 05-01-2018 at 09:49 AM.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have seen Robo's tail lights and for me they are not near bright enough. But he has them blacked out
I have the Sweeplight LEDs and they are dimmer than other LEDs. Wish they would improve upon them. I keep thinking about getting something else. Even the OEM bulbs are brighter than the Sweeplights.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:01 PM

Garage
I would put in the third brake blinker. Pretty hard not to see it. I am going to have you figure out how to connect the light bar and the Opel Fog light to it. With all that going on, should be seen from behind.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I would put in the third brake blinker. Pretty hard not to see it. I am going to have you figure out how to connect the light bar and the Opel Fog light to it. With all that going on, should be seen from SPACE.
Fixed it for you. Not that I mind seeing our cars all lit up! I'm excited to see what the light bar looks like. The pics I've seen of Don's made me lose my mind.

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:06 PM

Garage
I don't drive my car very often, too much other stuff going on. But I continously watch the rear view mirror. Some come rushing up within a foot or so of the car. Others crawl up and change lanes to look at it. Heck Robo about rearended me on one of our runs. Of course he was sideways looking for a curb. People out here (I think everywhere now) drive like maniacs. You turn on your signal they speed up, if you leave a car length for safety, they cut you off. Tailgating seems to be a sport on the highways.

The other day driving my FJ, some dude in a new Corvette passed me downtown doing at least 80mph, cut me off and pulled into the McDonalds. Just nuts is the word I guess. So the more red lights in the back is my answer. lol Will see how it works.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in