Saturn Sky Forum banner

GM’s regrets

6K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  rjgramps 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Any write-up that doesn't distinguish between the Base and the Redline is disingenuous. Different cars. Fake news.

Probably written up by someone who hates spending money on cars. Like Scotty Kilmer.

"Oh. my 1999 Corolla has 400K miles on it and all I've ever had to do was insure it and put in oil, gas and anti-freeze".

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE 1999 COROLLA!!!

#6 ·
Hmm - the Solstice/Sky had engine problems?

Written by a know-nothing writer probably given the assignment to fill up some space with drivel.

#8 ·
There were engine problems with the very first of the LNF engines, and a couple were even bought back by GM. But that was a result of them being the first GM production DI gasoline engines and they got the problems sorted out pretty quickly.

Nuggets of truth about each car, but overwhelmed in each case by all that was wrong.

#19 ·
In the RC world, the suspension designs used in 4wd Touring car is a combination of lower a-arm with an upper link...kind of a hybrid between double wishbone and multilink. Since we're not dealing with the same weight to scale in RC (a 1/10th scale touring car may weigh 3-5 lbs...scaled up, that would be a 30-50 lb full sized car...yea, we wish) the forces on these suspensions come no where close to full size so I doubt the design could be scaled up directly, but it may be something that could be done. I have a feeling there is little benefit from going this hybrid route on a full size car versus the current designs though otherwise we would already have it.

Attachments

#20 ·
Scaling something like a suspension is difficult because the stiffness of something is not directly proportional to its dimension, but varies with the square. A suspension arm that is 1/10 the length is going to be 100 times as stiff. That single upper link would obviously never work in a full-sized application because the rest of the assembly would be proportionally so much more flexible.

Also, the mass of an object scales closer to the cube of the scale, so your 3-5 lb 1/10th scale model is more equivalent to 3-5,000 lb at 1:1. None of it is exact, of course, and because each characteristic scales differently it is nearly impossible to use a scale model to predict full size behavior.

#22 ·
This article at allthings.com is TOTAL BS.
It says of the 2009 Saturn Sky “ according to carcomplaints.com, it would go on to have a ton of engine problems.“
WTF!?!
A simple check of the referenced website shows no such thing as “a ton of engine problems”. FULL STOP. NO SUCH THING.
Not 2009.
Not 2008.
Not 2007.

Wait for it . . . . . . .
FAKE NEWS!!!

#23 ·
Well, that's the first I've heard of any problems with them. Just another moron spouting off about things they don't know about. I would have sworn the Sky was going to be near the top of the REGRET list. Oh well.

Sort of like Consumer Reports ratings. They have never seen a Dodge they liked and rate them as little more than junk. I've owned 8 over my lifetime, 5 of which were new purchases, and they have been the most reliable cars/trucks of any I have owned. Maybe Mother MoPar doesn't pay them as well as GM or Toyota? I bought a Honda CR-V 2 years ago and it's a horrible little creature with serious and constant electrical issues that Honda refuses to address.

#24 ·
Sort of like Consumer Reports ratings. They have never seen a Dodge they liked and rate them as little more than junk. I've owned 8 over my lifetime, 5 of which were new purchases, and they have been the most reliable cars/trucks of any I have owned. Maybe Mother MoPar doesn't pay them as well as GM or Toyota? I bought a Honda CR-V 2 years ago and it's a horrible little creature with serious and constant electrical issues that Honda refuses to address.
My experience differs. I and my family have owned three Chrylser products (admittedly not Dodge per se) since the 90's. Each has been worse in reliability and more poorly designed than the last. I will never buy another Mopar.

#25 ·
Yea I haven't had the best luck with them and their DSM venture either. 1990 Plymouth Laser and 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD...both threw timing belts at 30k miles. Friend had a 1991 Talon TSi and same thing. Granted those are Mitsubishi engines but still Mopar products. My fiancé also had a Dodge Magnum and it had fits.

Now their trucks most folks have had good experiences with them...but the cars not so much.

#27 · (Edited)
I agree with everyone for another reason.

I was a Pontiac Fiero enthusiast from 1992 to 2003. I owned eight 2.8L-V6 GT's during that time period, my first one was a 1986 GT 4-speed which was my keeper. I flipped the others except for the one given to our son for commuting to college and such.

Not one Fiero-V6 ever had an over-heating problem. Maybe the bass model Iron Duke 2.5L-L4 engine had issues. The V6 engine's weak point was in the area of the exhaust manifolds. Broken bolts, burnt-out gaskets, and cracked manifolds kept me busy. I took care of it all in permanent fashion before resale. The dang manifolds liked to warp which caused all the fuss.

As for the 2007 base Sky with manual transmission I just bought, I surely hope that article is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.