Hard top - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Unless you drive with the windows up, looks is the only real reason to have one anyway, so installing it under the full top is reasonable if you want the look.
That works for me and I agree.

Quote:
If you already had one when you installed the full top, you can either leave it installed or have to store it someplace.
OK

Quote:
If you switch back and forth between tops it also makes sense to leave it installed. It will also serve as a lightweight headache rack, keeping items in the back, in the back.
Having seen a coupe top installed, it is a total b**ch of a job to do and may require 3 people to do it. It is not a casual change. Also, the convertible top has been removed, so I doubt there is any intention of removing the coupe top.

Quote:
The only real reason to remove it - except to avoid comment - would be to ease access to the back from the front.
As 44thSky commented, there really isn't any access to the rear from the front.

I can only conclude that it was left in place for looks. I am not into the car show mindset, never have been, so there are things I just don't understand when it comes to items like this. While this particular Sky has a nice paint job, and the rear of the tulip panel is masked nicely, to me the Windrestrictor is just a bit of overkill. But, if the owner want's it that way, that's how it'll be, and I certainly won't be critical, other than to say, "Huh, I don't understand."

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Last edited by DaveOC; 01-02-2019 at 11:31 AM.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
I didn't notice until posting the photos of the coupe, but Picture 1 has an appearance of the roof being a translucent panel (see through). If it really is, that would at least let the light through. Maybe we will hear from someone who knows this car??
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Yeah...To the OP...One isn't offered.

I'm still planning at some point to take my smoothline top and modify it to allow access, but right now I can't even get the damn thing to quit leaking at the windows so that's first priority.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
A question that is completely none of my business, but I'll ask it anyway: Why do you want a hardtop?
I don't understand the need for one anywhere, but especially not in Florida.
I am not a big top down guy. Its nice for a while, once in a while. Was looking for a hard top that was not a permanent attachment so I could go back and forth. Also the risk of some idiot knifing it because he can. That happened to my son.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebreath View Post
I am not a big top down guy. Its nice for a while, once in a while. Was looking for a hard top that was not a permanent attachment so I could go back and forth. Also the risk of some idiot knifing it because he can. That happened to my son.
I agree with what you are saying. If I can eventually get this thing leak free it will be well worth it because it looks great, and you do have that protection of not having something that could so easily be cut into covering your car.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Quote:
I agree with what you are saying. If I can eventually get this thing leak free it will be well worth it because it looks great, and you do have that protection of not having something that could so easily be cut into covering your car.
So I assume you have one. I also think it looks awesome. 2 questions. How much does the finished product cost and is the leak problem fixable? Where does it leak?
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
So I assume you have one. I also think it looks awesome. 2 questions. How much does the finished product cost and is the leak problem fixable? Where does it leak?
Moosebreath, go back to post #2 and follow that suggested link topic (if you need to search). MattM has a top and in that thread another owner gives much detail as to how he was able to get his fitting better by his approach to securing the top. Check that out too.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
OK, MM. The reason NO is not the real answer, LOL. You were strongly encouraged to come to the NASSAM2018, by myself and others. And had you chose to do that, here is what you would have seen parked just across from us in the parking lot at Black Hawk.

I don't know or did I meet the owner. But I'm sure skersfan or RtE will know who and from where that unit resides. (I did hear Norm was there. So absolutely obvious that was Norm's car, but the AZ license is puzzling.)

Said differently Mike, that is what you miss by staying down there in that hot, buggy Bonita Springs.
Nice looking top. But what is this (open attach), anyone? If it's a fitment issue, that would bug the crap out of me, especially if it whistled as wind passed around it. I have a "Norm" hood that has similar fitment issues that I'm still not able to resolve and I've been to 3 different fiberglass guru's out here in SoCal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	103833  
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:18 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
Nice looking top. But what is this (open attach), anyone? If it's a fitment issue, that would bug the crap out of me, especially if it whistled as wind passed around it. I have a "Norm" hood that has similar fitment issues that I'm still not able to resolve and I've been to 3 different fiberglass guru's out here in SoCal.
Thanks for pointing that out. I just looked at the photos Norm has on his website of the Saturn version of the top, and that same issue appears to be in the photos there.

I don't have an answer on this one. Call Norm and ask him.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hello, that top is a early design that I have since changed with new molds which is part of my delay in shipping out a couple of tops. I'm going to replace the top you see in the picture at this year's Nationals with the new design, at my expense.

As far as your hood you seem to forget that your car was involved in accident where you yourself said a SUV rolled over your car plus you basically got it for Free. I've sent you instructions on how to overcome the fitment issues with alignment, but apparently no one in CA wants to take the time to do so. If you are still having issues I may be able to come out and help you with those in a couple of months as I will delivering some other parts myself.
"[Sky_Pilot]
December 8, 2018
I'm in the process of rebuilding mine. Some moron rolled her tundra and landed on my hood and fascia. So I'm installing a ram air conversion."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sky hood Sky Pilot.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	103835  

Last edited by Robotech; 01-07-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Full Name redacted by request.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:46 PM

Hello again, as I have said before I'm replacing that old design as I have done for another. Forty was the first Sky top that I did and have made a number of changes since. I replaced his old top painted the new one, upgraded the interior with sound insulation, at pretty much my expense. It's not like a build a dozen a week of these as they are hard to make and time consuming, so there is a learning process, not unlike GM has too. And they have a Whole lot more (government) money than I do, LOL. Thanks again from Norm

https://www.facebook.com/fortunato.p...9545188553418/

Last edited by normsf; 01-03-2019 at 01:59 PM.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by normsf View Post
Hello, that top is a early design that I have since changed with new molds which is part of my delay in shipping out a couple of tops. I'm going to replace the top you see in the picture at this year's Nationals with the new design, at my expense.

As far as your hood you seem to forget that your car was involved in accident where you yourself said a SUV rolled over your car plus you basically got it for Free. I've sent you instructions on how to overcome the fitment issues with alignment, but apparently no one in CA wants to take the time to do so. If you are still having issues I may be able to come out and help you with those in a couple of months as I will delivering some other parts myself.
"I'm in the process of rebuilding mine. Some moron rolled her tundra and landed on my hood and fascia. So I'm installing a ram air conversion."
I was going to respond, but I decided not to, I don't believe this is the proper forum for airing dirty laundry.

Last edited by Sky_Pilot; 01-06-2019 at 11:50 PM.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:30 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Hi Norm, thanks for checking in. Good to hear that you know/knew about that little issue. Just another one of those little issues in which the Sky is a bit different than the Solstice. Keeps you on your toes!

I'll have to stop down and see you again, if and when I'm ever traveling thru Mishawaka again. It's been way to long.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:49 PM

Thanks Dave, come on over!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3451.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	103837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3453.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	103839  
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
You bringing the tops to NASSAM Norm?

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in