If the Sky would have become a Chevy, what would you call it? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
Borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
With the larger engines come stronger suspensions. When mallett installed the C2 engines, the entire suspension was changed...and of course the best exhaust sound...the Borla.
I think what I meant was that spoken, printed, or not, that there seems to be a "no-compete-with-the-vette" thing that's always been going on. The Camaro isn't a roadster: it's a sporty Tour(-type) car. I understand that rolling out a new model costs, but a car like the Solstice or the Sky wouldn't "compete" with the vette. Granted, where the Corvette *used* to be priced sort of limited the segment, but now? A Kappa-esque roadster might help sell more of the flagship sports car in the future. It could possibly help sell more of the Tourer as well. As for what to call it...it always seems like the good names are taken until you hear a good one. The sound of a good V8 is always good.

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 01:05 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by expostdelirium View Post
I think what I meant was that spoken, printed, or not, that there seems to be a "no-compete-with-the-vette" thing that's always been going on. The Camaro isn't a roadster: it's a sporty Tour(-type) car. I understand that rolling out a new model costs, but a car like the Solstice or the Sky wouldn't "compete" with the vette. Granted, where the Corvette *used* to be priced sort of limited the segment, but now? A Kappa-esque roadster might help sell more of the flagship sports car in the future. It could possibly help sell more of the Tourer as well. As for what to call it...it always seems like the good names are taken until you hear a good one. The sound of a good V8 is always good.
Nothing like a V8! The ole days when the engine started, u could tell which American manufacturer it was.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
I owned a legendary Stingray, not sure I would have liked that name for a new Sky. Having owned both, the Sky is a far better car to drive and enjoy. Loved my Vette, but the Skpel is way more fun to drive.

As to being a Buick, the Solstice is a hand down from the 1954 Chevy Nomad (never produced) How it is in that category, no idea, but you can find the pictures if you look hard enough. But the top has the lines of the Nomad, that is about all I can see currently. I think I posted the information when I was researching the Mallett. Mike the sound is the only thing I miss about the Mallett.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 01:05 PM

Garage
I grew up going around w/ my Dad in some great American cars (coupes ONLY). Then when the foreign cars started making smaller, lighter, more stylish cars he transitioned to them, that lasted 3 or 4 cars - which isn't long for him. He went back to Vette for 3 generations (C4, C5, early C6). He got old and started buying a foreign luxury marque, and that's all he's bought since then. He had their roadster in his fleet for awhile, but it didn't take, and he's always had their crossover and their flagship sedan in his garage as well. If the Bowtie released something like a Kappa, I could almost see him experimenting with it. I'd love to see him go back to something like that.

Now I'm thinking I've got to go over there to take him for a ride! Thanks.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 04:46 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Garage
I did not want to start another thread so I thought I would use this one...was at the car show today and to make it short and sweet...women told me that Mallett died of lung cancer...that is why he went out of business.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
Don't think that is correct. I talked with Ken Kelly and he said he was fine a couple of years ago. That he talked with him regularly. I heard he was back to work at GM. Any other rumors? I suppose it could have happened recently, if so GM and the Solstice Kappa Family lost a great performance car designer.
marlboromike likes this.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by expostdelirium View Post
I think what I meant was that spoken, printed, or not, that there seems to be a "no-compete-with-the-vette" thing that's always been going on. The Camaro isn't a roadster: it's a sporty Tour(-type) car. I understand that rolling out a new model costs, but a car like the Solstice or the Sky wouldn't "compete" with the vette. Granted, where the Corvette *used* to be priced sort of limited the segment, but now? A Kappa-esque roadster might help sell more of the flagship sports car in the future. It could possibly help sell more of the Tourer as well.
If there is ANY question that there is a "non-compete" mentality with the Vette, just look at the Cadillac XLR. Built on the Vette chassis, never had Vette performance.

I was lucky enough to have Jim Wanger (Google him...) as a member of my So Cal Pontiac Grand Prix club. He would come out to some of our events and talk for hours about the history of Pontiac, the 3800 "Buick Fireball" V6, and the GTO. I remember him telling a story of when John DeLorean was running Pontiac and wanted to come out with a Pontiac that would have put the Corvette to shame. GM pulled the plug on the project then took the design and made it under the Corvette name plate shortly thereafter. Wish I could remember the details but he verified that there very much is a "non-compete" clause within the GM design studios when it comes to the Corvette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
I did not want to start another thread so I thought I would use this one...was at the car show today and to make it short and sweet...women told me that Mallett died of lung cancer...that is why he went out of business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Don't think that is correct. I talked with Ken Kelly and he said he was fine a couple of years ago. That he talked with him regularly. I heard he was back to work at GM. Any other rumors? I suppose it could have happened recently, if so GM and the Solstice Kappa Family lost a great performance car designer.
I really would like confirmation on this. Very sad if true.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 01:26 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
If there is ANY question that there is a "non-compete" mentality with the Vette, just look at the Cadillac XLR. Built on the Vette chassis, never had Vette performance.

I was lucky enough to have Jim Wanger (Google him...) as a member of my So Cal Pontiac Grand Prix club. He would come out to some of our events and talk for hours about the history of Pontiac, the 3800 "Buick Fireball" V6, and the GTO. I remember him telling a story of when John DeLorean was running Pontiac and wanted to come out with a Pontiac that would have put the Corvette to shame. GM pulled the plug on the project then took the design and made it under the Corvette name plate shortly thereafter. Wish I could remember the details but he verified that there very much is a "non-compete" clause within the GM design studios when it comes to the Corvette.

I really would like confirmation on this. Very sad if true.
As for Mallett, I had seen somewhere that he was doing "part-time" performance work for GM. This was several years ago, and I haven't heard anything about him since then.

So I don't know . . .

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I would borrow from the Vauxhall concept and call it a Lightning.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I would borrow from the Vauxhall concept and call it a Lightning.
This. And it would eliminate lots of the naming problems.

What Robo outlined above makes me not feel bad about the state of the American Automotive Industry over the last 45 years.

sh

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rebranding Sky

First, it should have been re-branded the Buick Skylark.

Second, fixed the top issues and and upgraded the instrument panel and suspension to be a true roadster.

Third, only a couple of options, automatic/stick/ four colors and two interiors and all units turbo.

Fourth, like Porsche, only small upgrades over the next 15 years

Fifth: job out ASSEMBLY like Ford does on some of their high preformance cars

Sixth: limit annual production to 7,000 units on order basis. (no stock)

Seventh , price around $32,000
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormS View Post

Second, fixed the top issues and and upgraded the instrument panel and suspension to be a true roadster.

Third, only a couple of options, automatic/stick/ four colors and two interiors and all units turbo.

1. Why? Not saying it's wrong, just curious to hear your thinking
2. Once again please expand on this.
3. With all due respect does that make a true roadster?
4. Once again with all due respect does that make a true roadster? We all want upgrades.
5. I personally have no comment
6. I personally have no comment
7. I personally have no comment

Terry

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

There is nothing about any version of the Skylark that says "roadster" to me, so I will stick with "Lightning".
Two seats, rear-wheel drive, and a somehow-put-downable-top make it a roadster already. Anything else fits into your #4 .
Aside from limiting sales I'm not sure what this would accomplish, so no.
I am all for continuity so I'll agree that this is desirable, but it would happen more along the lines of the evolution of the Corvette.
I can see maybe getting better build quality, but that isn't a given.
Combine this with #5 and you will never accomplish #7 .

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Buick needed a halo car or preformance car at that time 2010. Buick had the name Buick Skylark locked up from the 6-'s. While not a roadster it was a convertable.
I have had my Sky for 12 years and love it. Never been in the snow and always in a heated garage. Looks like new. Top was never state of the art no easy to work with. Original cost restraints ( GM going bankrupt) they cut cornors on instrument panel and suspension.
It's not ment to be a for profit car but a halo car to entice people into showroom. Something like Chrysler Prowler. Limit production numbers and make it truly unique and desirable. The sheet metal already does much of this already.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:37 PM

Garage
Quote:

I wouldn't NOT drive a Skylark, but I'd rather drive a "Lightning" OR a "Blitz"
The way the top operates is weird, but I kind of like having to interact with it, and since most don't drive in rain, closing it isn't difficult.
I don't know about limiting options, but the rest sound liveable, and might allow a bypass of 5-7.
Do you mean small revisions/refinements to the platform? Like Porsche does the 911? That's pretty genius. Shows commitment to the product.
Sub out the assembly to where? KC? Or would doing it domestically drive the price above the $32k threshold in #7 below.
I can see reasons for limiting production, and most of them would be good reasons.
Seems to me that if you price it at $32k that many of the folks that would consider the car just: 1) dig a little deeper to buy something more exotic, OR go cheaper to get a more "luxury" marque.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in