Lazy throttle and door lock issues - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lazy throttle and door lock issues

Lazy throttle-it's never been real zippy, but the last few months it's taking more and more revs to get it safe to pull out in traffic. I've ordered a sprint booster to see if increasing the pedal control signal helps, but I'm open to other ideas. It's not the slight turbo lag, it the actual throttle response that's become dang slow.

Door locks-neither door lock button inside the car has worked in the last 10 months of my ownership, but they have worked via the remote. Today the passenger side struggled to work and then didn't and wouldn't respond after that. Besides checking #26 fuse, and possibly a new battery for the remote, other ideas on this?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I think the sprint booster is a waste of money. My guess is there is something wrong with your throttle pedal position sensor. Better to fix the problem than put a band-aid on it.

The door lock button problem is probably wiring if they both quit at once. They share an input to the BCM, so that is a place to start. The actuator could just be going bad, they do sometimes fail.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cityboy
I doubt this will fix it but these cars are known to act crazy when the battery is going bad
Check the date on the battery and if needed replace it
Or If money is a issue put the car on charge and see if the car acts better once you have a full charge

09 silver RL
rims
spoiler
pedals
black leather
6-disk
gm-CIA
painted calibers
opel antenna
blue low/fog lights
gm turbo upgrade
WR
Cateless down pipe
Engine caps.
Pro beam
Back bone
Venom brace
Custom badging
DDM IC pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:19 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Weak or almost dead battery would be a start. Both in the car, and key fob remote. Eliminate these first imo.
Fuses seems good from your inspection, and as John suggested it could be the BCM? No codes thrown during any of this?
Are the grounding points good, no corrosion? No recent work done on anything to your car lately?

Meter check might be in order on the electrical side here, but it could be mechanical too, inside the door itself.
You never know until you look at what the door latch/lock is doing when you lock/un-lock the car?

The throttle lag laziness, again the John suggestion of the throttle position sensor could be the first check point?
Everything can go bad on any mechanical device known to man, invented by man... sh*t does break, fail, cost a fortune
question I'm asking here is it throttle or slipping clutch? Only from a dead stop, or does it do it at hwy. passing speed too?
The throttle body itself could need a good clean, or a dealer inspection if you lose power from this point?

LAC
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Guys thanks for the replies. Although neither door lock button on either doors has worked since I took ownership 11 months ago, it was just the passenger side that seemed to be not responding to the key fob. After driving it again that day it hasn't acted up since, so I'll wait till it throws a big hissy again and dive in deeper.

As to the sprint booster...no codes, tb is clean and no other issues known. After installing the sprint booster I've got to tell ya, it did exactly what I was looking for. I know many of you are skeptical and I usually am on some products, but for ME, it did just what I was looking for, getting a much more instantaneous throttle response.

Thanks all!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
GM door lock actuators are not the most reliable and if they fail you either need to repair or replace them. Google "gm door lock actuator repair" and you'll find lots of information. Gruvenparts, although I don't have experience with them sells the parts you could use to repair your old ones but first you have to verify they are getting voltage.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have bought and installed the sprint booster in my car, 07 2.4L manual trans sky, and I will say it definitely improved the throttle lag! I have read a lot of posts on this product and from that I've found that the majority of negative reviews are from people that do not have one.?That being said I can definitely tell a difference between stock and the new system, down shift throttle matching is much easier and of course up shift response in the throttle input is vastly improved! Baring any faulty parts on your car I can say this will help the lazy throttle.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I agree on the sprint booster. It did exactly what I was looking for. I find it interesting as well that most everyone who dismisses it has no first hand expereince with it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
Lazy throttle-it's never been real zippy, but the last few months it's taking more and more revs to get it safe to pull out in traffic. I've ordered a sprint booster to see if increasing the pedal control signal helps, but I'm open to other ideas.
Quote:
After installing the sprint booster I've got to tell ya, it did exactly what I was looking for. I know many of you are skeptical and I usually am on some products, but for ME, it did just what I was looking for, getting a much more instantaneous throttle response.
The Sprint Booster just changes the voltage level of the signal coming from the throttle pedal and amplifies it to the ECM so the ECM thinks the throttle pedal is depressed further than it actually is. You'll note in your first post you claim it takes more and more revs to get into traffic and now that you added the new device you have better throttle response. Now instead of your foot pressing the pedal down further, the Sprint Booster is telling the ECM the pedal is pressed down further. That's what it's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstoycar View Post
I have bought and installed the sprint booster in my car, 07 2.4L manual trans sky, and I will say it definitely improved the throttle lag! I have read a lot of posts on this product and from that I've found that the majority of negative reviews are from people that do not have one.?That being said I can definitely tell a difference between stock and the new system, down shift throttle matching is much easier and of course up shift response in the throttle input is vastly improved! Baring any faulty parts on your car I can say this will help the lazy throttle.
Quote:
I agree on the sprint booster. It did exactly what I was looking for. I find it interesting as well that most everyone who dismisses it has no first hand expereince with it.
Because those of us who dismiss it would never buy it since we can have the same experience pushing our foot down on the gas pedal further. Those who don't understand what it does or want to change their pedal curve at the cost of having less throttle position control and resolution will buy it and have it do just what they expect it to do.

I would LOVE @Tomato Soup or @JohnWR to take one of these things and do a bench test on it. Have one test showing the output of just the gas pedal and another showing the output of the Sprint Booster each with clearly defined pedal positions.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Super Duper moderator...you do know that without actually knowing who you are I suppose you look and sound just like Donald Sutherland doing a calm, cool commercial voice as you type these replies, right? Hahaha.

Yes, I'm aware of what the principle is behind the sprint booster and other similar products. Maybe for the first time I've found a product that does indeed give the placebo effect? Again, for ME...it helps me blip the throttle and get a quicker throttle response.

Coming from a na 600hp C5 Z and currently driving a 2015 400hp Tacoma with the TRD blower which both have instantaneous throttle response the turbo lag, though it might be slight and the slow pedal response is somewhat annoying. There are very few on here that haven't done something to their car for performance because THEY saw a need and felt it improved the expereince with the car.

Having run lots of performance vehicles over the years I get the skepticism and that most performance guys don't see any value for "gizmos" that we can't quantify an actual performance gain. On the other hand many of us do things that up the enjoyment of the ride we spend time in, including better sound systems, exhausts that just tickle our ear and add no performance benefit, etc...

While recovering from gall bladder removal the last few days I spent some time reading various posts on the corvette forum and here including a few about guys changing their rides including one guy here that spent mucho $ doing a compound turbo build only to now put it up for sale at a hellacious loss. So what. His $, his choice. And yet so many guys busting his hump because he chose to do something different then they would. Just seems silly that we can't be okay with what others choose to do, even if it's not what we'd do or don't see value in it.

It's not like I've got zero expereince with performance products and bought a tornado intake device, though I suppose to some that's exactly how they see it. If it didn't do what I was looking for I'd return it and give an honest review that for me it was money wasted. Imo, not the case. Thanks!
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
LOL, that's probably not too far from the truth though I wish I was as suave as Donald Surtherland...WOOF WOOF...LOL

Compared to a high horsepower NA or Supercharged car yes, our cars will lack throttle response. Coming from a fully built 3.8L V6 with a Whipple Supercharger that put down roughly 500 whp in a front driver I know what instantaneous throttle response is.

Never said this wasn't for you. Only said that I can achieve the same result with pushing the pedal down further or going with a larger throttle body (which I'll be doing and which increased the throttle response in the aforementioned Supercharge 3.8). If you know what it does, and those who dismiss the device agree that what you believe it does is what it does, then how are we "against" the product? We think it's foolish because we know we push the pedal further we get the same result and do it for $0. You want the same affect by just tapping the throttle and to you, that's worth the products selling price. I can take that same money, get a throttle body adaptor for the 2.4, and a larger throttle body, and achieve a similar result without loosing the resolution or range of the pedal. Not sure the LNF has that kind of option. To me, that's more value for my money. For other's, it's not.

An opposing viewpoint is just that, an opposing viewpoint. You'll note in the post above yours where I said "those who...want to change their pedal curve at the cost of having less throttle position control and resolution..." can buy this product and get from it exactly what they expect. You seem to fall into this category. Nothing wrong with that and for your application it works. For mine, since I use my car for autocross, throttle resolution especially down in the lower throttle ranges is more important than greater throttle input with less pedal throw and less resolution.

The problem is there are a lot of people here that DON'T understand what that product does to achieve it's affect. They have to decide for themselves if the price of this device is worth the money or not. For some it is, for other's it's not. It's their choice but they should have both perspectives to make up their own mind.

But just because we do not like a product without having used it does not mean our opinion is without merit...which is what the conversation was alluding to.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 08-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:29 PM

@Robotech, I am not interested in spending time and money to disprove something that I know can't make any real changes to the performance. Fortunately I don't have to.

I found this very informative whitepaper by someone who did a very thorough analysis of one, and his conclusions are spot-on with what we have already decided.
One note: His analysis is directed toward the adaptive throttle used by Mercedes, but the technical descriptions of the SprintBooster and how it works are applicable to any platform.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SprintBooster.pdf (576.1 KB, 12 views)

John
Lexington, KY
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
@Robotech, I am not interested in spending time and money to disprove something that I know can't make any real changes to the performance. Fortunately I don't have to.

I found this very informative whitepaper by someone who did a very thorough analysis of one, and his conclusions are spot-on with what we have already decided.
One note: His analysis is directed toward the adaptive throttle used by Mercedes, but the technical descriptions of the SprintBooster and how it works are applicable to any platform.
That's a good read but personally I like your writing style better. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Robo, as one of the most helpful guys here, I can appreciate your opine.

I'm not one that this type of product would usually appeal to, but I tried it and again, for me...I like it.

Now if this redline had the kind of throttle response your SC ride did and my SC ride does I certainly would not have a need for it.

Now if you truly were the kind of guy I think you are...when you're just out and about my neighborhood you'd stop in and add another 100hp to this thing.

Last edited by dbs1; 08-14-2019 at 12:06 AM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
That's a good read but personally I like your writing style better. LOL
I appreciate the appreciation. Just for you, I will be more hands-on for the next one!

John
Lexington, KY

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in