Local dealership jacked up my sky improperly. - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Local dealership jacked up my sky improperly.

I took my Sky to the local GM dealership to have the starter replaced. I always check the the battery access panels and opposite panel as well as a general inspection of the car. Both sides were perfect. When I went to pick my Sky up I inspected the battery panel and saw that it was cracked. The dealership said "well that would have been easy to miss in our initial walk around". I had read in various forums about this happening. Has anyone had this happen and how did you proceed? I filed a grievance with them. They will investigate themselves. Haha. What a joke. The guy that did the work just flat out lied saying he used the factory jacking points to jack up the car. I never wanted to punch someone so bad in my life. A flat out lie. Also has anyone had to buy a new panel and how much was it?
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Prices vary depending on which fender you get, from whom, and whether or not you need to paint/repair it. Many times depending on the damage they can be repaired.

For the dealer, if you have before and after pictures hard for them to deny it. If they have a walk around and indicate no damage, I'd go after them. "That would have been easy to miss in our initial walk around" doesn't put the burden on you. They're the dealer, they should know this and they should inspect that area before hand.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I keep a laminated copy of this in the seat back and tape it on the steering wheel any time I leave it for service.

And yes, that's my car. Damn dealerships

(edited to upload the version with the back page)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lift Warning 2 page.pdf (337.4 KB, 128 views)
Colin Bubeneck likes this.

2008 Red Line
D30 Override red on red
Three pedals
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
K04 Big Wheel Turbo
Solo Street Race exhaust
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07

Last edited by lorennerol; 05-16-2019 at 07:58 PM.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
I keep a laminated copy of this in the seat back and tape it on the steering wheel any time I leave it for service.

And yes, that's my car. Damn dealerships.
That's one way to remove the battery....

And what's on the other side?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
I've never let a shop lift my car without me personally supervising it.
marlboromike likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJack View Post
. . . . The guy that did the work just flat out lied saying he used the factory jacking points to jack up the car. . . . .
He might be telling the truth, because lifting the car on a 4 point lift using the factory lift point is often NOT simply enough to prevent damage. GM has more instructions that might be necessary to prevent damage. There are definitely more requirements for the rear, not sure about the front though.

The whole lifting issue is eary confusing to many people, including me. Also because even in the various Kappa forums well known Kappa people advice to use the incorrect (according to GM) front lifting points. But one would expect a dealer not to get his knowledge from these forums. :-)
Need4Speed2 likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:58 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Garage
Aside from watching the service tech lift your car...everyone should insist that their car goes onto a roll on lift. As far as I know, all dealerships have them.

Everyone should have BMW lifting pucks
jshines likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
The fenders are damaged. They inspected the car and found no damage. They don't have a leg to stand on. Tell them to fix them or take them to small claims court. "Yes we did a pre-inspection and found nothing wrong" "Yes the fenders are broken post work"

Talk to the GM and tell him you want to be reasonable but be firm. You want them returned to perfect condition.

I have not seen new fenders available in years. DDM was making replica fenders. You can check with them. And Norm has custom fenders. Your other choice is checking with recycle suppliers.

A good body shop can generally do an excellent repair of even badly broken fenders. I have seen fenders missing huge parts of the bottom of the fender made perfect again.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Aside from watching the service tech lift your car...everyone should insist that their car goes onto a roll on lift. As far as I know, all dealerships have them.

Everyone should have BMW lifting pucks
I'm not so sure, the one time my Sky incurred lifting damage was when being driven up onto a lift, the approach angle was just a hair too steep and it put a scratch into the paint on the bottom under the doors...
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Mine was cracked at the dealer during service one time. I had just gotten that crack fixed earlier that same year. I showed it to them and they took care of it. I usually leave the jack pucks in the floor next to the lug key. My service person is pretty aware of the issue but not sure all of the techs there are. I'm certain that they pay closer attention now when I take it in. I get down and check before dropping off, and upon pickup also.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
I have been over and over the jacking information online and in this forum and I'm still confused with the 4 points in the front. So if I'm lifting 1 front wheel, I have been using the Jack pad in the slotted hole on the rail. If I want to lift the entire car, do I use the lifting points that are inboard from the front slots? Or do I use the slots in the rails to lift the entire car? Or does it matter? I'm taking the car in next week for an oil change and new tires and would like to make sure I'm seeing them do it right.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
My thinking is that the jacking pucks should only be used to change a tire, while the underbody red points are used for lifting the entire car (or placing jack stands). Unfortunately, I think most garages use the pucks points to lift the entire car. Plus my floor jack saddle swallows my BMW pucks so I place a small piece of wood in the saddle because I haven't gotten around to buying a saddle pad after all these years.

The only time I expected my car to be lifted I taped the lift point diagram to the steering wheel, and took duck tape and wrote on it DO NOT LIFT HERE and stuck them in front of the lift pucks. I felt like a dork doing it, but I'd rather look like a dork than have to deal with dented or busted car panels.

Last edited by ChopTop; 05-17-2019 at 10:25 PM.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:17 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear that this problem has risen it's ugly head again for one of our owners.
Many of our owners have gone through this with the dealer visits.
We worry about this problem here on the forum, discussed many times over several threads.
The cracked front quarter panel is in the Top 3 for hazards when owning a Kappa.
WP and the cupholders would qualify for other design miscues by GM with our model.

Pre-work inspection walk around to post work #%@**** . Dealing with the dealer or Factory requires a certain tack when restraining one's self in a moment of anguish over busted quarter panels.
The dealer should own up here, even IF the Tech did use the proper procedure when lifting our cars. Damage is damage.
A good body shop can repair these in a jiffy. 3 days maybe? Quality of the repair is key here.
Re-enforcing the stress area, mounting points inside and out, plus the lip of the panel where it meets the frame rail. Even then it still could break or crack even under normal driving conditions. They should give you a loaner car for your troubles too, not that they will.

New panels... not gonna happen. Replacement panels by aftermarket vendors, few and far in between.
Salvage yards is an option, but a pain.
Using the attachment photo by CT provided here... Yellow & Red highlighted.
The frame rail slot opening (4), where the "pucks " slide into to prevent the arm of the 4 post lift from hitting this vital point on the quarter panel. The pad on the lift of the arm, lifts at a different point than where these puck locations are. There is an
extra welded area down there, beefed up square for just this purpose. I have seen pad marks on mine. Again here look under
your car check for scraps to this area, then highlight it.

Further inboard we see the red areas which are the jack stand points after.. the car has been lifted up. Whether your are using a floor jack in your garage to lift for a tire removal, or the whole car going up, all 4 wheels off check these points first. Painted them a loud color. Lambo Green, fire engine red, a simple grease pencil will do, until it can be lit up for service techs to see without any doubt. IF I could get under my car far enough I would paint..."Lift Here Only" on these points plain white paint/black letters.
A clue for the un-informed. Another insane idea.. would be a sticker with a nuke explosion with the printed words..."Don't even think of lifting my car here" just to see if Fast Eddie the tech wizard is paying attention while under my car, and not.. on his phone
updating Facebook page or planning a night of love with his girlfriend. Little over the top there LAC? Why yes it is, but that's just me.

I hope this a painless fix for our OP. It is the principal of the thing, the attitude of the dealer and not having the Kappa around for your enjoyment, for 3 days while they fix this, that pisses us owners off, and they wonder why sometimes we have no faith in bringing our car back in to the dealers for anything that gets me. Good service, good price, helpful staff, and... no damage. Yes I would recommend this dealer to my friends IF that were true all the time in any case, however we here in the community know better from our past experiences.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 05-18-2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Always gotta fix something... on one of my posts! Never ending battle continues
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post

And yes, that's my car. Damn dealerships

(edited to upload the version with the back page)
Thank you, have made myself one just in case.

Terry

2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
2.4L, DDM Short Shifter, 18" Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential, Sirius Radio/Onstar, Power Seat,
Spoiler, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Kenwood Stereo, Leather, Windrestrictor, Opel GT Antenna
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Took me months of complaining loudly to get someone to fix the lift arm they kicked into my rocker when doing the diff tube TSB.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in