Local dealership jacked up my sky improperly. - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I make sure body color area on bottom clean & take a Hand Held Mirror with me any place I'm having job done that requires lifting (saves getting down on my knees, though that's not a bad idea, prior, to pray nothing happens) do a 360 go inside after paper work done & stressing to tech the Kappa crack fender syndrome this Sky has hockey pucks installed specifically for lifting points then take him out to car do another 360 with mirror letting them see and agreeing to fact No Cracks

Couple years ago getting new tires explained & stressed to sales person how susceptible Sky fenders were to being cracked due to incorrect lifting their response oh we do a lot of vettes my reply I could care less about what you do with vettes I'm informing you about what needs to be done with my vehicle and letting you know I have 4 black hard plastic hockey pucks where jack heads need to be placed as Sky too low to approach/drive over their automated lifting device

4 floor jacks rolled out to Sky before tech starts have same black hockey pucks conversation. Standing on driver's side 15ft from service bay observing tech get down on knees locate front puck place jack head raises car few inches repeats process on rear lift puck as I'm saying to him appreciate your approach taking your time to make sure Sky is lifted correctly thinking this same person would be doing all 4.

GF's on passenger side where another car was next to her Sky suddenly says OMG as she heard a breaking sound this change flats/free air check trainee had grabbed one of the jacks put it under the right fender and Crack! One of few times I didn't do what Senior Citizens do when pissed cuss said stop I need store manager out here had GF go get same salesperson with story about their doing vettes let them see what happened told them not interested in the sorry game especially since my detail attempt to give you info on this issue from the beginning only in you accepting responsibility compensating for fixing cracked fender.

Drove Sky to body shop that painted my TR6 asked about doing fiberglass they said yes they could, didn't want Sky sitting in shop during repair back to Sky Cave removed fender and noticed black plastic inner fender over tire also cracked notified America's Tire paid for body color fender repair & new inner fender got fender back week or so later body shop said repair consisted of building up layers of fiberglass inside of bottom edge of fender to strengthen & insure crack covered & prevention against crack spreading prepped/color matched and resprayed entire fender picked it up week or so later reinstalled along with new inner fender that arrived from GM Just did 360 check bottom of Sky fender no evidence of where crack was

FYI: Under fender view of Sky/Sol
Could be vanity MIRROR with handle or similar also need light source flashlight will do.

Simply position MIRROR under area where you want to view and shine light on MIRROR to light up area
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne07 View Post
He might be telling the truth, because lifting the car on a 4 point lift using the factory lift point is often NOT simply enough to prevent damage. GM has more instructions that might be necessary to prevent damage. There are definitely more requirements for the rear, not sure about the front though.

The whole lifting issue is eary confusing to many people, including me. Also because even in the various Kappa forums well known Kappa people advice to use the incorrect (according to GM) front lifting points. But one would expect a dealer not to get his knowledge from these forums. :-)
Bingo! I have read the instructions and advice from some here but there is contradicting advice. Even the printed material is confusing.
Who knows the correct process!?

Need4Speed2
SF, CA
2008 Redline, 89k miles
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Just removed my fender to replace the battery. Noticed it was badly cracked underneath. My husband bought some awesome stuff from 3M to repair it. Itís put on the backside so you donít see it and now itís sturdy as hell.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed2 View Post
Bingo! I have read the instructions and advice from some here but there is contradicting advice. Even the printed material is confusing.
Who knows the correct process!?
I read somewhere to only have it lifted on a drive up ramp lift. Makes sense for doing work underneath but not possible to replace tires.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
All the drive up lifts are not the same some are at too high of an angle and don't work either,they do have them with interior lifts for lifting to change tires after it's on the ramps. I have found the safest way is to have the pucks and just instruct the service person on the correct placement of the lift posts and make sure they put it on the work order HIGHLIGHTED.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
So the dealership owned up to cracking the panel and sent it to one of the better body shops in town. The body shop found that a panel support bracket bent. They replaced the bracket and repaired and painted the panel. The first time they painted it the panel didn't exactly match. So they painted it again. It really came out nice. You would never know. The body shop did a great job. I'm very happy. Thank you all for your input and comments. Much appreciated.
Robotech likes this.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJack View Post
So the dealership owned up to cracking the panel and sent it to one of the better body shops in town.
That Dealership is a keeper!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
That Dealership is a keeper!
...AFTER you train them on the proper way to lift the car. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
...AFTER you train them on the proper way to lift the car. LOL
They had to pay for the repair. I bet they are now very well informed about jacking procedures.
GJinNY likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
They had to pay for the repair. I bet they are now very well informed about jacking procedures.
Ahhhh...most likely...BUT...never ASSuME. LOL
GJinNY likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Garage

I went back to look over an old post concerning this problem and found these pictures for reference, FWIW.
The front to back photo shows where the arms/pads of the lift were placed by this shop.
In this photo the front two slots, where the pucks are suppose to go, none were used in this for the 4 post lift.
The pads on the front two arms are placed in the noted jack stand locations, per GM.

In the rear, again no pucks that I can see here, however the pads to the back two arms are not... on the suggested jack stand points per GM.
They do look like they are placed in the extra welded square area, with one of the pads,
on the frame rail and in contact with the rear panel on the car.

In this second photo, looking from the rear of the car when lifted it looks like a pad is added to the lift arm, but again here
notice where the lift pads are placed. Not on the rear jacking points for our cars. On the front two arms with a puck attachment
these are placed on the front two jack stand locations per GM.

Combine these two photos and you have a clear picture during your next visit to the dealer or any shop when lifting your car.
Talk to the SM or Fast Eddie the tech wizard, show them these two photos and what's wrong with each of them before lifting your car.

Does this add confusion for us as owners? Hell yeah it does, but the opposite of where or how they place the lifting arms/pucks when you take your car in for service IS... broken, cracked panels on ours cars. $$$.
Pre-work walk around/look over before any work is done.

IF the shop in question does not follow your instructions as to where or how to lift your car... take your business elsewhere imo.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 06-02-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I replaced both sides recently. I bought the parts from DDM and had a local shop paint and install. Couple of things:

- The DDM fenders do not come with pre-drilled holes. (Not on original estimate)
- The inserts can be reused, but the shop will need the tape to install them. (Not on original estimate)
- I opted to not blend into the adjacent panels. It looks fine, though.
- Cost around $1K including parts.

I have install permanent pucks. I also had some door dings taken out while I had it in the shop.
Super Serg likes this.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a Chevy Dealer jack the car with the door open during the ignition switch recall and bend the door requiring bodywork.
During my passenger seat airbag mat switch recall that I had taken care of last month I told the service writer multiple times as well as the tech that the doors must be closed before closing the hood (I knew they had to disconnect and reconnect the battery) Despite all that, had I not been watching the end of the job from a service bay overlook and screaming ďDONT CLOSE ITĒ they would have bent my hood ends.
Donít know what else to do. I picked a Chevy dealer that does many Corvettes and Camaroís hoping they might take care but no such luck.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in