My Review of the Dr. Colorchip Paint Chip Repair Product - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
My Review of the Dr. Colorchip Paint Chip Repair Product

So this review is for the Dr. Colorchip paint Chip Repair product. The URL to the site is Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair Kit - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Anyway, the product says that you "dab then smear over the chip." They also get your paint code so the paint you get for your car is matched to it perfectly.

The directions tell you to take the brush that comes in the kit and fill it with the paint and dab around the chip then use the glove to smear into the chip. Wait from two minutes up to an hour, and then you're supposed to take another product called "sealact" and LIGHTLY rub the excess paint off. Once you get the paint off you are then supposed to immediately buff to a shine.

Now I can understand their instructions for a few chips at a time, but what about the massive crater field that is on both fender flares infront of the back wheels? I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

Here is a picture of the crater field (and it's like that on both sides)

You can also see on the rear fender in front of the rear wheel that area being much much whiter. Ugh! It's terrible!

So clearly "dab and smear" isn't really going to work for me since I have so many paint chips to deal with, so I decided I would actually "smear" a large enough amount to cover all of the chips. The first time I did this I used the "sealact" to wipe the excess, but I used too much pressure which didn't really yield the results I was looking for. Here is what it looked like after the first time. I think there is a difference but I wasn't happy.

Not liking those results I went back and put the paint onto a folded up paper towel to smear over the chips in a smoother fashion. I then used the "sealact" again but with much less pressure and have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the results!

Long story short. If you have that same problem with paint chips in the area in front of your rear wheels I definately recommend Dr. Paint chip. I would say just to make sure you use a paper towel to smear the paint fully over the area and then LIGHTLY wipe with the "sealact." It should work for you as well!
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Actually, after searching....My car might be the only one with these chip problems on the rear fenders. I didn't really see anyone else have this issue.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
My car has the same problem. Looks like a layer of dust. Maybe it is just more noticeable on black cars. It gets alot worse when you get rid of the OEM tires and put something with some actual grip on. The stickier tires fling more rocks.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 Speed
LDK long block. DDM Works clutch kit, brace bundle, oil catch can and SS brake lines. Stoptech Sport pads with ATE Type 200 fluid. Fujita intake and charge tubes. Gutted stock downpipe. Tuned with HP Tuners.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it is way noticeable on black cars! I couldn't take it, so I figured I would try to do something about it without getting it resprayed. I have to say that I am impressed with the results so far. I have to wait three days before I can wash and wax but if it holds up after that I will definitely be sold with it! It was only around $80 and paint matched!

Here is a side pic of the car before and after:
Before

After

Like I said, preliminary results are definitely showing an improvement! I just have to wait until I can wash and wax etc...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Looks good, Matt.

My "crater field" looks horrible. I'm seriously considering repainting the entire car due to all the issues mine has. But such a spendy option that I'm only "considering" that at this point. I may just wrap the entire thing and be done with it for a while.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Well...if your craters are in the same areas as mine you might look into the Dr. Colorchip product.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
My passenger side rear fender looks worse than yours and I hate them. Good results from your product. I'll keep it in mind if Plan A doesn't work. Dark cars show it far worse than light.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I never noticed that on my Sky. However it is silver so that may be the reason. I'll definitely be taking a look when I get back home in a few days.

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Black leather seats - used to be cloth
Pioneer 4200NEX Head Unit with Backup camera
Tinted Windscreen
Blue LED Footwells
Painted Calipers
Plastidip Wheels Black
LED Headlights
LED Reverse Light
LED Interior Lights
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
I've seen the Dr Colorchip advertisements and videos and have wondered how well it works, so I appreciate the review.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! I'm glad I could help anyone who might need to do something like this.

I will say after looking at it yesterday....it's not perfect...like when you get up close to it you can see some paint streaks or whatever, but it looks a THOUSAND times better than it did!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
I've seen the Dr Colorchip advertisements and videos and have wondered how well it works, so I appreciate the review.
+1

Thanks for the review!

Be a part of the solution!
and
DFTT
--
In fond rememberance... We miss ya' Skip, but we'll never ferget ya! :)
--
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

As an update. I have held off from washing or waxing the car since I put on the Dr. Color Chip just to make sure. It's rained and I've driven the car pretty hard. I can say so far so good for it. It kind of funny as well because the longer it's been applied it seems to have blended even better!

I will have more information when I do finally wash and wax it. We'll know how durable this stuff is!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
As an update. I have held off from washing or waxing the car since I put on the Dr. Color Chip just to make sure. It's rained and I've driven the car pretty hard. I can say so far so good for it. It kind of funny as well because the longer it's been applied it seems to have blended even better!

I will have more information when I do finally wash and wax it. We'll know how durable this stuff is!
Looks great!

Are those tinted taillights?

Kander5799
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. Spray tint with extra black paint.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Yeah. Spray tint with extra black paint.
You should snap a few pics sometime... They look great from that angle tho!

Kander5799

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in