New audio with NAV and Bluetooth - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Hmmm. Well everyone keeps saying (above, anyway) that the stock head unit is crap. But I beg to disagree. Now I have the USB unit, so that might make a difference (though I doubt it) but that with Alpine speakers and Eclipse amp sounds great in my car. I think that it all may be a case of "the grass is greener..."
The worst thing about the stock head unit, and the dash info for that matter, is the puny orange LED lighting that can't be read during daylight hours. --otherwise, I have no issues with mine, sans the desire for nav and usb.

08 RL Auto, Onyx / Black
Stock spoiler
Billet Grille, Opel Ant
Halos, Eyelids
Wind Restrictor, RV10 Sun Shades
K&N Typhoon
DDM Charge Pipes, Venom Brace
PA HFC and Tune
Debadged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Your radio is XM but your car probably did not have the optional XM receiver and antenna installed. The shark tooth antenna is for On Star..a third wire was installed for XM if purchased from the factory.
Well that makes sense. I forgot about the On Star (never had or used it before). So let's say I purchased an aftermarket unit that had XM. Will I already have the wire/antenna necessary for it? Or is it something I'd have to install?

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Black leather seats - used to be cloth
Pioneer 4200NEX Head Unit with Backup camera
Tinted Windscreen
Blue LED Footwells
Painted Calipers
Plastidip Wheels Black
LED Headlights
LED Reverse Light
LED Interior Lights
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:26 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
Well that makes sense. I forgot about the On Star (never had or used it before). So let's say I purchased an aftermarket unit that had XM. Will I already have the wire/antenna necessary for it? Or is it something I'd have to install?
It would include your antenna and everything else needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Pretty sure $300 is too low for what you want. You'll barely get a touchscreen radio alone for that, and the extra pieces you need for chimes and steering wheel controls are $100-150 alone! Then there's the installation on top.

Most of all, take your time and test out a few radios for the user interface. I got a Kenwood for my wife's car a couple of years ago, and I hate the arcane interface. The design team should be shot!
Thanks TomatoSoup, I'll have to bump my spending cap up then. I realize that the harness is around 150 to keep my chimes, etc. If I can find one that just lets me control my iPhone w/ the steering wheel controls - whilst not being "clunky" - I would live with it for awhile. I plan to pay a visit to the shop this week. I've known the owner since he was 15 or 16 when he worked for the other local store we have (owner's daughter was my gf at the time), AND I work with his mom. He's done quite right by me over the years, but I haven't been in there for 5 years or so. If that doesn't work, I can go to the other one; I still know those guys. Both shops do good work. To be honest, I don't have to be in a hurry, I just want to get used to it before I hit the road to Lexington, and my other planned travels. What would the chances be of finding one in the "used" market that's not too beat up?

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I have really enjoyed the discussion and when I read posts like this I start thinking about changing my head unit also. Then I start thinking itís probably going to run close to a $1,000 and there could very well be issues after the install. I then realize that I live in Michigan so the car is in storage for close to 6 months out of the year and when I do have it out I have the top down and Iím just as happy with the system the car came with. An upgraded sound system would be nice but nothing to me sounds better in that car than with the top down and listening to the world go by!

Besides, this year's budget has to go for new tires....

Jim
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endstate View Post
The worst thing about the stock head unit, and the dash info for that matter, is the puny orange LED lighting that can't be read during daylight hours.
Unfortunately I think that pretty much all aftermarket units also suffer from this issue.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
The sun is out..the top is down....not much u can do. Of course, there is an alternative but it still is difficult reading. Change your plastic on the radio. All the LED lights are white. What changes the color is the plastic strip on the radio...
Endstate likes this.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM

Garage
Great jshines; I have yet ANOTHER option...and you are CORRECT about how enjoyable discussions on this board are.

Just got back from the electronics place. Got a little reality check, but a Pioneer that does what I want it to and the harness, installed is right around $500. I can live with that. I don't mind putting money into the local economy, and this "kid" has been doing this for a long, long time, he's done lots of my work, and my friends', so I trust him to steer me right and not to "sell" me.

The kid I knew (the owner) has a kid that is buddies w/ my GF's kid: he's had to put up w/ her for a slumber party. Maybe I should pay him more?
jshines likes this.

post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by expostdelirium View Post
Great jshines; I have yet ANOTHER option...and you are CORRECT about how enjoyable discussions on this board are.

Just got back from the electronics place. Got a little reality check, but a Pioneer that does what I want it to and the harness, installed is right around $500. I can live with that. I don't mind putting money into the local economy, and this "kid" has been doing this for a long, long time, he's done lots of my work, and my friends', so I trust him to steer me right and not to "sell" me.

The kid I knew (the owner) has a kid that is buddies w/ my GF's kid: he's had to put up w/ her for a slumber party. Maybe I should pay him more?
Which pioneer head unit did you get?

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen
Blue LED Footwells
Painted Calipers
Plastidip Wheels Black
LED Headlights
LED Reverse Light
LED Interior Lights
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfox View Post
When I got my Sky it didn't have the audio controls on the steering wheel. Years later I bought a new wheel with the audio controls on it and switched the wheels, nothing else needed just plugged it in, and the audio controls worked. I do have a monsoon system, don't know if that makes a difference.
Where can you get a steering wheel with the controls? And how hard was it to swap?

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen
Blue LED Footwells
Painted Calipers
Plastidip Wheels Black
LED Headlights
LED Reverse Light
LED Interior Lights
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:03 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Where can you get a steering wheel with the controls? And how hard was it to swap?
Just to make u a little crazy..crazier. There are 2 different steering wheel switches for the SKY...the early 2006-2007 models had either flat switches..then they raised them....they also changed the location of the corresponding control wires...when I changed my switches to the raised...I found that out the hard way. Even wiring on door switches...different years, different wire locations for their harness.

And you would think Solstice would have wires with the identical color going to corresponding locations....not true.

Last edited by marlboromike; 03-14-2017 at 11:48 AM.
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Just to make u a little crazy..crazier. There are 2 different steering wheel switches for the SKY...the early 2006-2007 models had either flat switches..then they raised them....they also changed the location of the corresponding control wires...when I changed my switches to the raised...I found that out the hard way. Even wiring on door switches...different years, different wire locations for their harness.

And you would think Solstice would have wires with the identical color going to corresponding locations....not true.
Yes, I would use the word crazier

I have a 2007 and will have to check mine. If you get a minute, can you post a photo of your raised switches so I can compare to what I have? I won't know which ones I have unless I see one type or the other.

Also, where did you get your steering wheel from? eBay or somewhere else?

Silver 2007 Sky 2.4L
Tinted Windscreen
Blue LED Footwells
Painted Calipers
Plastidip Wheels Black
LED Headlights
LED Reverse Light
LED Interior Lights
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:19 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
A picture is not needed...if they are level with your hand....they are not raised. And my steering wheel was factory. My car was bought new in Jan 2006

Last edited by marlboromike; 03-14-2017 at 06:43 PM.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Which pioneer head unit did you get?
Haven't gotten it yet, and I don't know the model number. I was thinking about looking it up. I'll post here after I do that. It wasn't fancy. I've also thought about getting a single-din, having the cubby hole above it, then having them 3-D print me rig to hold an iPad mini or the like. Wouldn't need steering controls because the UI would be at my fingertips and large enough to use. I could still use the wheel controls for stuff like volume and station-changes when I'm in town. I like that idea because I like to meddle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's just an idea. I'm sure I could find a kit that would do about the same.

Edit: I looked to see which Pioneer I was looking at, but I don't remember its looks well enough to tell you for sure which it was.

I could mount the ipad/mini cradle right into my CD slot?! Then remove it when I get out of the car?! Way cheaper and an interface I can deal with - for now. More options! I like the sounds my stereo makes, but do I want to wait to upgrade the looks.

Last edited by expostdelirium; 03-14-2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: additional info
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got my steering wheel from-

Source One Auto Parts

Not hard to switch out, in short - remove the airbag, remove the center nut, unplug the wiring, pull off off the wheel.

Just be sure to disconnect the battery for a least 30 min before doing the airbag. Also note the orientation of the old wheel before removing it.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in