New Battery Help - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
New Battery Help

My battery suddenly died. Looks like I have to remove the fender to replace it. Any tips or tricks to do this smoothly? Also, thoughts on interstate batteries? Costco has the best price and thatís what they carry.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:08 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Garage
Take off your wheel well...u will be happier.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I have bought my battery at Menards. Some carry Interstate, some carry ACDelco. But, nowadays, a battery is a battery is a battery. I believe there are only 3 plants that make car batteries now and IMSMC all 3 run all makes down the same lines with same products....
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Garage
I have no idea on who makes batteries. But I have had nothing but trouble with Optima batteries both in my Skpel and FJ Cruiser. AC Delco in the green car and never a problem. Die hard I think in my old van and it always started.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:05 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
My AC Delco is now turning 7 yrs...always starts but I do not really drive the car....
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Suddenly dead... with no warning. Original OEM battery? Current mileage on the odo? A good thing to replace it now. Our cars when the battery gets weak, has demonic possession sometimes...

Brands and prices vary where ever you " shop and compare ". Some owners are loyal to a specific brand in all their cars. Others here could care less, just a fresh new battery that fits my budget. Works for me...Cold cranking amps/reserve capacity is a staring point here. They vary with mfg. Costs could be below $100 or way above that depending on place of purchase. IF your doing this replacement yourself you save on labor costs, but put up with the DYI stress. IF you have it done at a shop or dealer, the " lifting "
fear comes into play, plus labor costs.

The front quarter panel removal has been discussed here and on the Solstice site as which is better when replacing the battery in our cars. Some do it by removing the panel, not that hard, You-Tube has a video or two that might help you before you get started on this? One bolt is a tough one, near the passenger door hinge, but most of what I've read in the past, no big deal for the rest of them. Some use tape as an alignment method but it's pretty straight forward operation. You can do it by removing the front passenger wheel, then loosing the wheel liner for replacement of the battery.

I had mine done this way, 2 years ago with all four tires off, getting those replaced the very same day, they were trashed. Old OEM.
New battery & new tires all in the same visit.

Expensive but the hassle and the cost does not hurt my premagrin in any way shape or form there of. Confidence that it will start, when away from home/service, will not leave you stranded, or having to jump start your car, from an unfamiliar stranger who might help you out, maybe. Some owners here have a portable battery jump starter available for just this reason.

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 05-15-2019 at 07:51 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post
Suddenly dead... with no warning. Original OEM battery? Current mileage on the odo? A good thing to replace it now. Our cars when the battery gets weak, has demonic possession sometimes...

Brands and prices vary where ever you " shop and compare ". Some owners are loyal to a specific brand in all their cars. Others here could care less, just a fresh new battery that fits my budget. Works for me...Cold cranking amps/reserve capacity is a staring point here. They vary with mfg. Costs could be below $100 or way above that depending on place of purchase. IF your doing this replacement yourself you save on labor costs, but put up with the DYI stress. IF you have it done at a shop or dealer, the " lifting "
fear comes into play, plus labor costs.

The front quarter panel removal has been discussed here and on the Solstice site as which is better when replacing the battery in our cars. Some do it by removing the panel, not that hard, You-Tube has a video or two that might help you before you get started on this? One bolt is a tough one, near the passenger door hinge, but most of what I've read in the past, no big deal for the rest of them. Some use tape as an alignment method but it's pretty straight forward operation. You can do it by removing the front passenger wheel, then loosing the wheel liner for replacement of the battery.

I had mine done this way, 2 years ago with all four tires off, getting those replaced the very same day, they were trashed. Old OEM.
New battery & new tires all in the same visit.

Expensive but the hassle and the cost does not hurt my premagrin in any way shape or form there of. Confidence that it will start, when away from home/service, will not leave you stranded, or having to jump start your car, from an unfamiliar stranger who might help you out, maybe. Some owners here have a portable battery jump starter available for just this reason.

LAC
Iíve only had the car for a month or two and driven it twice. It sat for a week or two, went to start it and dead. It has over 130,000 on it. I think itís the original battery, AC Delco. I recently had a stereo put in it so my husband is concerned it wasnít hooked up right and is drawing power. He thinks he has a meter that can check it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Your car at that mileage is Dead Man Walking....and remember, do not leave your key in the ignition....it will drain your battery.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybubbles65 View Post
I recently had a stereo put in it so my husband is concerned it wasnít hooked up right and is drawing power. He thinks he has a meter that can check it.
Wouldn't surprise me, I installed an integration adapter that would drain a fully charged battery in just a few days. Many of them are defective junk.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
Take off your wheel well...u will be happier.
Yep, much easier than the fender...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Garage
If Mike says it is easier, I would bet a month's pay it is. The old codger knows his Sky!!!! Ugly tires but you have to have some flaws... lol
marlboromike likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:51 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybubbles65 View Post
I’ve only had the car for a month or two and driven it twice. It sat for a week or two, went to start it and dead. It has over 130,000 on it. I think it’s the original battery, AC Delco. I recently had a stereo put in it so my husband is concerned it wasn’t hooked up right and is drawing power. He thinks he has a meter that can check it.
At this point in time, considering the current mileage you do have on the odo, I'd say yeah replace it. Then you know where you stand with your ownership of this model as far the battery goes. Is it really still just a car, IF it never err fails to start for you when you want it to? lol Does it become yard art or driveway sculpture, garage occupant taking up space for you? IF... you answer yes to one or all of these, then it's time for a new battery, more or less.

Without starting power, means no permagrin for you and no one in the community of owners, that I know of... likes that scenario. SO.. having said that and you do replace your battery, then what? Couple of things here, imo to look out for. Check all connections, battery cables, contact points for corrosion, any thing that looks suspect to you. Grounding points on the chassis body. Check fuse panels in both locations under the hood & passenger foot well, for blown fuses or loose ones that need reseated. Sometimes when losing power due to low or no voltage, other problems might pop up, even with new power now supplied. FOB communications, door locks, trunk release operations, TMPS sensors can be quirky.
A dealer visit to reprogram these functions after power loss with a Tech 2 with an updated software to prevent this from happening again, maybe. This could cost some where in the vicinity of $99. at the dealers. Check the entire electrical system after a new battery is installed could prevent further problems in the future for you and... less headaches for your husband?

While your car should be able to sit, for awhile without starting it up, any length of time on a weak battery, a tender/maintainer is recommended. However...starting it once every ten days, even if your not going to drive it.
Not possible for some owners who due to winter conditions store their cars, hence the tender.
One other thing that starting it every so often is fluid dispersal to vital parts, gaskets, seals and the like. Long periods of no oil to the motor parts draining into your oil pan, is metal to metal contact during the next start up cycle for internal motor operation. Change the oil, look for fine silver tint to it. Radiator fluid to the systems, the water pump seals/shaft, power steering fluid/brake fluid keeps thing lubed up when sitting for extended periods of time. Tire pressure check?

New stereo.. not hooked up right. There is a starting point maybe. Could be a drain to the system? Couple of our electrical guru's here Robo, John, TS are ones to look for here when it comes to our electrical systems and their operations & problems. I pay attention when they speak err type text here for the knowledge they provide our community. Weak old battery, unhooked while new stereo is installed. Power drain maybe depending on their quality installation of said product, grounding points used, Hey.. what's this red wire for, where does that go? This is what I call.. the Fast Eddie fly by night repair service while you wait. Beware of this.. just sayin. That's just me... another starting point for battery drain to your car maybe?

Did you leave... unknown to you a light on? Interior or trunk lid not closed all the way?
Our systems should shut down these after a short cycle, 30 seconds to visually see go off, to a power down in the ECM but.. with a weak or dead battery I'm not sure.

Owners have left lights on, doors/trunk lid open and left wondering why the hell their car won't start in the morning for them? New owners here to the Kappa young or old alike here, unfamiliar with their new toy... it has been known to happen before?

This is just the battery... for you & your husband to deal with our gem. Boy.. have I got some news for you... many other things to learn here on the forum.

Pick a topic? It has been discussed in the length by our members, trust me. Use the search feature box, upper right corner for past threads. Check back for current up to date discussions with our Solstice brothers who site jump from time to time. Less stress for you too with ownership of the Kappa.

Did I really just type all of that? Shakes head... pretty much there LAC. Sorry gang trance like focus for me after yesterday.
I gave up a prefect day for a cruise in my Sky, to do battle with my yard. 3 1/2 hours later...
However things are looking better for this weekends jaunt down to Summit Point Motorsports Park for the Jefferson 500. Oh yeah... old school race cars, V-8 power.. not Miata like in any way shape or form. Couple of friends, decent to great weather, cold adult beverages, food of varying tastes, and... top down cruising around this weekend, Ye Ha.

Drive safe when your out and about owners. The driving season is just getting rolling, the masses are about to hit summer mode, traveling everywhere.

Cost of gas will rise, construction projects, hwy congestion, police, be wary of their reaction to your Kappa, avoid their sometime assinine approach to your Permagrin pleasure cruise, IF this bothers you to much, find a quiet twisty road somewhere and unwind your own stress. It's what the Kappa was I think designed and built for.

IF your car will start.. lol Drive it.. while you still have the ability to drive. Nothing worse to me, than letting a sports car... sit. it won't matter how much the value increased or resale later after your dead... the moment for you is now, and the car will thank you for the healthy fun you've given it. You only live once..

LAC

Last edited by LAC Sky; 05-16-2019 at 07:55 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Ah, Summit Point Motorsports Park. One of my favorite tracks. Many a good race there with FRCCA: White PRS #71 . But a long haul from CT.
LAC Sky likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine died quickly a few months ago as well .. took it to Chevrolet and they only charged ~$29 labor to put it in ... they knew fender had to come off , but charged the same for all cars ... no way I’d fool with it for $29
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky.2008 View Post
Mine died quickly a few months ago as well .. took it to Chevrolet and they only charged ~$29 labor to put it in ... they knew fender had to come off , but charged the same for all cars ... no way Iíd fool with it for $29
Can't argue with that.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in