New Stereo - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I am not putting anything between anything. The head unit has an input that the instructions seem to indicate can be used for this that appears to override the audio when needed. I am getting set up to test it, and if it works as I expect it to I have a couple of other uses planned for it. If it doesn't work the way I expect it to I will do something else.

Besides which, anything I use for this will only be powered when the car is powered, so it won't be able to drain the battery.
Interesting that the head unit accepts and external input. I suppose you could use one of the adapters that connects to the can bus and then intercept the signal that it sends to its internal speaker and connect that to the head unit input.

You certainly can prevent a battery issue by putting anything you connect to the bus on a separate switched power source, but you'll lose the car-off chimes, if you care about those.

To be honest, the chimes and signals aren't really all that important to me, but important enough that I wanted to retain them. The Axxess adapter with the built-in speaker is the perfect plug-and-play solution, in my opinion. I also like the sound just comes from inside the dashboard.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My ultimate goal is to have messages rather than and/or in addition to chimes, and to be more logical about when they would sound and for how long, as well as to include a "silence" button.
mstrjon32 likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
My ultimate goal is to have messages rather than and/or in addition to chimes, and to be more logical about when they would sound and for how long, as well as to include a "silence" button.
I'm interested to see what you come up with...
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
I'm interested to see what you come up with...
So am I! So fr the computer end of the project has been exceptionally frustrating.

John
Lexington, KY
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Quote:
So am I! So fr the computer end of the project has been exceptionally frustrating.
So what, exactly, is the "computer end of the project"?

Very interested in this too. Looking at the Amazon page for your device, it appears to be a lot better than the usual one-off Chinese Android radios I've seen advertised before. Only downside is that it doesn't (apparently) have HD radio

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
So what, exactly, is the "computer end of the project"?
To build the sounds interface I have to communicate with the CAN bus and learn which messages are used for what status. This is a fairly straightforward operation and there are any number of tutorials about how to do it. There is no "official" message cross-reference that I can find, but there are partial lists published by other hackers and I started out fairly confident that I would be able to get the data I need pretty easily. So far it hasn't worked out that way.

I bought an adapter and connected it to the XP notebook that I use for my automotive diagnostics, and immediately learned that it is not fast enough to keep up.
I took another notebook and converted it to Linux because of the native CAN communication capabilities. That computer can see the adapter, and knows what it is, but won't talk to it.
I now have a new, more capable computer and am trying to force myself to re-immerse myself in what i expect to be more frustration.

John
Lexington, KY

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in