Norm's Fiberglass - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Norm's Fiberglass

I ordered Norm's front splitter and 2 side skirts back in September in 1 single order (September 1st or the 2nd, I believe). Everything was ordered to be painted, too, and the last time I spoke to him on January 5th, I was told that these parts just haven't been painted yet... It's now February 14th and they still haven't been delivered, which might be perfectly okay depending on what all goes into things like his products--which I admit I know nothing about other than thinking that you press parts out and then just paint them. I'm just getting a little anxious or worried, especially since I've already paid for everything but have nothing to show for it. Maybe I'm being a worry wart? For those of you that have ordered from Norm, how long should something like this take?

For whatever it's worth, I ordered 2 fenders from him a year before this latest order and when they finally arrived, they really were fantastic--the paint matched perfectly. But the fenders took a pretty good time to finally be delivered, too. So maybe I just don't understand what goes into these things? Maybe the weather is something his shop has to deal with, too? (I.e. - Maybe he doesn't have an indoor paint booth or something?)

Either way, I love Norm's products so far and based on the discussions I've had with the guy, he seems like a kind person so I'd hate to think I've been scammed or something. It's just that I've been scammed before by other companies out there, so I guess I can be a little paranoid by default. But either way, I'm just trying to understand what a reasonable time frame is to expect something like this to be finally delivered...

Any insight into this would be appreciated. (I've been trying to reach him via phone but his memory on his voice message system is full, so I can't leave any messages and he doesn't seem to answer e-mails, either. It's a little frustrating.)

2008 2.0L Carbon Flash Redline Automatic with Norm's Upgrades.
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Norms a great guy from the dealings I've had with him online and from what I have heard from those who have met him.

His products seem to be top notch from what most people say though I have heard of at least one instance where they took some work to fit. 99% of his product reviews are like yours about his fenders.

The ONE huge issue though is production time. Your time with the fenders and now the splitter and skirts is about par for Norm. We have had folks wait more than a year to receive parts from Norm. Keep communicating with him (even when you don't get responses...sadly this is also common...email is best as you have an e-paper trail) and he will eventually deliver. Norm has not scammed anyone to my knowledge but his wait times are VERY long.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll keep trying to maintain contact with him and just hope for the best. Do you know how big his team is? Maybe it's like a 1 or 2-man operation? I know he travels a lot to shows, too.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:42 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_22 View Post
Thanks. I'll keep trying to maintain contact with him and just hope for the best. Do you know how big his team is? Maybe it's like a 1 or 2-man operation? I know he travels a lot to shows, too.
Norm has a couple of workers, at least he did when I visited him one year when I was passing through on the way to a run in Ohio. At one point I talked to Norm about a coupe top for my Solstice, and he said it would probably be a year before he'd get it done. That was 2 years before I ever saw a picture of the coupe top in the final stages of development.

Norm is an artisan and works on his own schedule. It may take a long while to get what you order, but it will be perfect when you get it. If he has given you a time frame to expect it, double or triple that time frame. It will be worth the wait.

Emails and texts to Norm most of the time go right out the window, telephone calls are the only way to get to him.

Wish I had better news, but remember, it will be worth the wait.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

No worries, Dave. Your comment calms me down about this. I worry a lot about things, so when I pay for something and time keeps going and going without seeing anything, I instinctively panic (which I guess most people do but I turn up the notch a bit! Ha.).

Anyway, thanks. I'll try to chill out about it for now and just show some patience while I continue to keep trying to reach him.

Oh, and I agree about him being an artist with his pieces. Those fenders were super superior. I can only imagine what his side skirts and splitter (let alone, his viper hood) will look like.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Fenders, diffuser, hood, splitter and side skirts, all amazing. Like everyone is stating, you almost forget the time it takes when the products finally arrive. Only positive things to say about the art.

Now the promised times can certainly be improved on. There is no reason why products are promised for certain time frames and are never delivered by that date. A bit on honesty would be welcomed here. We are adults, so give us a realistic date. If it's early, fantastic! If it's a bit late from that realistic date, way lesser of an issue.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSkyRedline2015 View Post
A bit on honesty would be welcomed here. We are adults, so give us a realistic date. If it's early, fantastic! If it's a bit late from that realistic date, way lesser of an issue.
Even just something that would shoot you an e-mail or whatever that tells you where things are in the process.

I once ordered a custom laptop from a company out on the West Coast named "Puget Systems." Their ordering process was pretty standard from an online ordering standpoint but the thing I loved about the company is that they would publish the current step that the laptop build process was on. I remember how their page would show first, the hardware steps...then their phases moved on to the software installation starting with the OS, then the programs...by the time everything was done, it even showed the steps of packaging, stamping the postage, and then the delivery routes. It was great.

Granted, I wouldn't expect something like that from Norm's team--not that they couldn't provide it but just that I don't see his team being as big or whatever as the company was that I ordered my laptop from... But just an occasional e-mail letting the customer know where everything is at would be great and greatly reduce if not eliminate entirely the worry that can come up when you wait for so long for something AFTER having already paid for it, ya know? I wouldn't think something like that would be very difficult to do but I know nothing about his situation and can only try to be positive about it.

(And I know I'll wind up with something fantastic. I guess like others have said, the arteest works miracles one Mona Lisa at a time. )
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Wolf...you will get your parts and you will love them, but the waiting sucks.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Norm has a couple of guys working for him, doing basically unskilled labor as far as I could see. Otherwise Norm is a one-man shop, and he is a hard worker, but his stuff is time consuming, and he is a perfectionist. I think his daughter comes in from time to time to do a bit of paperwork.

Norm is an artist, not a businessman. Expect the product when you see it on your doorstep.

My personal decision after seeing his operation was to not order from Norm, I preferred to keep my cash in my bank account rather than paying up front and waiting for a long, long time for Norm to ship.

I like his work and designs, but the cost is/was too high for me after considering alternatives.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
I have met Norm on several occasions. He is a very nice man and does his best. When I last talked with him, his daughter whom I met at SEMA a few years back was making most of his parts and he was finishing, painting and shipping.

He is a very small business that caters to only a few customer communities.

His wife got very sick and he had to take care of her for several months. He had to shut down his business three or four years ago because of outside demands on his time and family issues. He had a fire at his shop last year that burned about half of it to the ground. He just spent weeks dragging his truck and trailer around the country delivering coup tops and installing them for customers.

His products are by far, in my experience and that of many others, the best after market body panels you can get for our cars. he is very demanding of himself and his reputation for perfect products.

Like a lot of very nice people in business for themselves, when you talk with him he honestly wants to make you happy and will give you promises that he really means to meet, but then things get in the way.

He made custom, one off fenders for me. It took close to two years but they are beautiful. He built me a custom rear valence with center exhaust for Punisher that is a work of art.

Some parts are "in stock" like rear valences of the most common type, some fenders, some times even hoods. But most parts are built to order. And if he has a car in his shop that is demanding a lot of his time, then open orders tend to get pushed off till he has more time.

I have found that the best thing is to not expect the part when he says that they will be shipped unless he can tell you they are in stock and ready to ship.

For a part he is making, take his promise data and double it. It may come early, but he has never NOT delivered and its always a great part. As you approach the promise date, start giving him a PHONE call about once a month. Hey, Norm, how is it going? Really looking forward to that new part. How is it coming . .. . more often than once a month will not work. If you email him, he WILL read it but unless he has good news to give you, he will not always answer. He feels bad about not meeting the promise date but he fully intends to deliver. A quick phone check is the best bet.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hello, Im assuming this is Casey, sorry for not getting back to you. digging out of the snow and now its melting away just a ton of slush. Anyway have your parts ready to buff out, to be honest I got tied up with everything else, my fault cant blame anyone just trying to get as much out as I can. Next week you will have them. Thanks again Norm

PS I dont come here often as I should. Ticked off about Photobucket cant post up pics and I'm no tech guy to figure the Alternate hosting sites.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by normsf View Post
Hello, Im assuming this is Casey, sorry for not getting back to you. digging out of the snow and now its melting away just a ton of slush. Anyway have your parts ready to buff out, to be honest I got tied up with everything else, my fault cant blame anyone just trying to get as much out as I can. Next week you will have them. Thanks again Norm

PS I dont come here often as I should. Ticked off about Photobucket cant post up pics and I'm no tech guy to figure the Alternate hosting sites.
Well, hopefully I can partially help you with that latter part @normsf. If you look at the tool bar above where you post a response, their is a little paperclip icon. That is the "attach" feature and with that, you can attach up to 5 images to your post. The appear after your signature once you post as thumbnails and then users can click on them for the larger image.

Even easier is if you go to the "advanced reply" page (or the page you see when you quote someone). Below where you type your response, you see a bar that says in light gray, "Drag Files Here to Attach!" Find your images in Windows Explorer (the little manila envelope looking icon you can use to browse your files on your computer...assuming your in Windows) then click and drag them to that area. They get attached automatically. PM me if you have questions Norm. Thanks for stopping by.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Hey Norm, FWiW after photosuckit bombed I switch to Imgur, which is currently free. Hang in there, chief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normsf View Post

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Here's an update on this for everyone (see attached images): Norm hand-delivered the parts and not only that, he also stuck around for numerous hours to help me install everything (i.e. - fenders that I had yet to install, the side skirts, and the splitter). If that's not good service, I don't know what is.

Norm, you're one bad dude! I can't brag enough about your work--I hope everyone here is as impressed with what Norm's done to my car as I am and hopefully you can see the images, too--let me know if you can't and I'll find a different way to get you to them.

The offer still stands for porterhouses, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_redline_2.0_sky_with_sideskirts_and_splitter_4.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	99570   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_redline_2.0_sky_with_sideskirts_and_splitter_3.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	99578   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_redline_2.0_sky_with_sideskirts_and_splitter_2.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	99586   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_redline_2.0_sky_with_sideskirts_and_splitter_1.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	99594  
marlboromike and Emmett like this.

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 06:45 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Garage
What! U still have that Ugly GM antenna! Otherwise, it came out great. I had a terrific experience with Norm. After purchasing Dragon Sky's Valance, I did need two brackets to complete the install. Spoke to Norm via Facebook...within a week the brackets and software was at my door....NO CHARGE.
Emmett likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in