Norm's Fiberglass - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol - I came here to post a new thread asking if anyone had spoken to Norm lately - but reading the comments here I can see there's probably no point.

If you only waited a year for your parts consider yourself blessed. I've been waiting SIX YEARS for him to finish a set of side skirts for me. Sent him my parts to make molds (giving him an entree into a an aftermarket segment where there is no one else making the parts) AND offered to buy ten full sets to make the effort worth his time.

EVERY time I call he tells me "I'm getting someone on it right now". For six years. He's now not answering his phone (I still send them, but I gave up on emails yeas ago as he LITERALLY never responded to a single one).

Now I'm tired of waiting and just want my parts back. And he's dropped off the face of the earth.

As a person Norm may be a "great guy" - as a businessman he's complete and utter crap. I've installed an auto-dialer on my phone - tomorrow I will ring his phone off the hook for 12 hours to see if he picks up. If that doesn't work I guess I will try registered mail. I will probably have to take the 10 hour RT drive to his shop to get my parts back, if he's even got them anymore.

If ANYONE has a "personal connection" to Norm please PM me.

Your highly detailed mods signature, while impressive, really really screws up Google & site searches.
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Garage
@normsf, just wanted to draw your attention to the above post.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
As much as I would love to own some of the products he produces, I know myself and I would probably loose my mind if I had paid for something and Norm was late delivering. It's too bad that he doesn't hire himself a time management person. That person would make sure he isn't hand delivering parts to a customer and hanging around for a couple of hours helping to do the install. To me, if I'm the guy on the receiving end having Norm help me install my newly delivered parts, he is a hero. But unfortunately if I'm the guy who has been waiting 6 months past a promise date, I would be pissed off hearing he's helping a customer install parts while I'm waiting for mine.
This posting is very timely for me as I'm on week 3 waiting to hear back from Norm on whether or not he has a certain part available for shipment. I don't pretend to know his circumstances but the guy could probably have a very nice and highly profitable business with a little bit of time management.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not defending Norm but at the same time, he isn't in the parts business.

Now I know you may say "But wait, that's what he's selling...car parts." They may be parts that go on the car, but they're not car parts. What Norm has is a cottage industry level production house.

What we think of when we think "car parts" is like Autozone. You go in, a part that is built at an assembly plant (somewhere in the world) is sitting on the shelf waiting for us to buy it. That part is going to be the same as the thousands of others that company produces. If you get it from Texas or Arizona or New York, it's the same part. Every time.

Norm isn't like that. What he does is build fiberglass artwork for cars. Now, I'm not sayng Norm's stuff needs to be hung in the Louvre in Paris but rather that these items are crafted, by hand, and have to be to Norm's level of perfection...like an artist doing a sculpture. There may be small irregularities from part to part but nothing you would see without careful scrutiny.

Unfortunately, like most artists who are REALLY good at their craft, business skills seem to be...well, an artist's business skills are probably equal to a businessman's artistry skills.

Norm has a horrible problem with proper forecasting of completion dates and that trait is fairly well known in our community. Johnny's six year wait though seems to be WELL outside the window of acceptability though. If I were to be ordering items from Norm, I'd take his time table, add a year, and that's when I'd be expecting them based on past history. If you're not willing to accept that kind of time frame and the fact that you'll probably be needing to follow up with him on a regular basis sometimes without response, you may want to rethink your decision. It is what it is.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I’ll be one of the first people in line to attest to the quality of Norm’s parts. I have almost all of them. However, it’s truly unfair to people who have “deposited” hundreds or thousands of dollars for art/parts and not get responses to emails or calls. I totally understand being busy, but I also understand being ignored. It’s not a big stretch to ask for some respectful communications.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:23 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSkyRedline2015 View Post
I’ll be one of the first people in line to attest to the quality of Norm’s parts. I have almost all of them. However, it’s truly unfair to people who have “deposited” hundreds or thousands of dollars for art/parts and not get responses to emails or calls. I totally understand being busy, but I also understand being ignored. It’s not a big stretch to ask for some respectful communications.
Norm is a one-man shop, he can be responding to email or phone calls, or making fiberglass works of art.

I understand his dilemma, having been a one man shop for much of my working career. Some times the balance between office and shop duties gets skewed to one side or the other. But I agree, it's not to much to expect some communications and/or progress updates.

Having said that, there is a reason that I have never sent Norm a $4,000 deposit for a coupe top. with a realistic lead time of 2 years, or so, maybe 3. Norm is busy, way too busy to respond in a timely manner, and I would be constantly wanting a progress report. Rather than subject him to my need to know and make both of us unhappy, I made the decision NOT to order from him, not to order anything.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Last edited by DaveOC; 04-25-2019 at 08:32 PM.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Good self control. Probably saved yourself a ton of stress. Monopolies are amazing.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in