Saturn Sky Forum banner

OH what the PUCK

7K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  SkyPainter 
#1 ·
I got it save my money use a block of wood thanks.

found these on Ebay seem like a good price and nice compromise of most of the options out there. $25.50 inc. shipping

For a buck more I can even get them in blue

But then there is several discussions about cutting the ones you use upfront as they hit the fender?? :surprise:

But I thought you used these more inboard.. where exactly do you lift this car from?? (with a jack)

It was so much easier to work on the underside of my corvair, I mean once a week it flipped it self over it was so unstable:surprise:

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, Puck

I am having some of the same questions. I bought a set of the blue ones....to match my car....LOL

But I have not yet gotten under the car to see where they go.

From what I have read, you insert them into "slots" and twist 90 degrees. OK, the questions:

1) What happens when you twist 90 degrees? Does it hit a stop so you know when its 90 degrees,or do you just hope you didnt turn too much?

2) If it hits a stop can you then turn more to tighten the eye bolt?

3) Is the slot in the plastic body or in the metal frame? When installed are the pucks between the plastic and the metal or are they not covered by the plastic?

Someone could post some pictures, it would be helpful.

Off topic, why cant I add any "smiles". They are NOT disabled (block not checked below)

#3 ·
These 'homemade' hockey puck+eyelet bolt thingys, are not the best of breed for this job, and can only be used while actually jacking the car. You cannot leave them permanently, they will just fall out. Much better to get the BMW pucks. Though much more expensive, you clip them in and leave them there permanently - which is great if you get stranded somewhere and have to get the car lifted.

Specific answers inline in red.

I am having some of the same questions. I bought a set of the blue ones....to match my car....LOL

But I have not yet gotten under the car to see where they go.

From what I have read, you insert them into "slots" and twist 90 degrees. OK, the questions:

1) What happens when you twist 90 degrees? Does it hit a stop so you know when its 90 degrees,or do you just hope you didnt turn too much?
No, there is no stop, just turn them enough that they don't fall out while you get the jack plate up to touch.

2) If it hits a stop can you then turn more to tighten the eye bolt?
No. see above

3) Is the slot in the plastic body or in the metal frame? When installed are the pucks between the plastic and the metal or are they not covered by the plastic?
In the metal frame. the slots were actually for transportation tie downs (I believe).

Someone could post some pictures, it would be helpful.

Off topic, why cant I add any "smiles". They are NOT disabled (block not checked below)>:)
Front 'slots' circled in pic below... rears are just covered by the rear (yellow) lift plates (google is your friend):

#7 ·
TS, I agree with all you are saying and the manual spelling out GM's recommendation.

I do know what my experience has been ........ bought and permanently affixed four BMW pucks (some four years ago). When I bought new tires from Discount Tire, I have had a personal conversation with the store manager each time they have touched my car (once for tire installation and twice for rotation). Each time DT has lifted the car from the four BMW lift points with four jacks, simultaneously. No damage to my fenders has ever occurred.

And, it is possible RtE is still using his reconstructed lift points as per the manual, I don't know.

Agreeably, with davhamm, the double-story is confusing. So maybe the answer is: "take your pick".

:cheers:

#8 ·
This is an excellent thread and should be a "sticky". I have learned what I wanted from what, up till now, was a very mysterious subject. The pictures are excellent.

#9 ·
I should add that the side-rail slots on my SKY are smaller than the side-rail slots on my Solstice.

Not to add confusion to what is already, the shaving of the front puck DOES look needed on the Solstice (I have not as yet readied my Solstice for any lifting, but have looked at the front fenders underneath). No shaving was necessary on my SKY.

And stating again, the slots (as shown in the above photos) are larger on the Solstice than on the SKY. Thus, the BMW pucks I purchased and used on my SKY will NOT WORK on the my Solstice. Further research will be necessary to ready the Solstice for lifting. (TS, I believe, has a Solstice. But I don't know if the photos he posted above are of his own car, or just available lifting photos.)

And just so you haven't missed it, the SKY front fenders are Fiberglas while the Solstice front fenders are metal. It is my belief that the SKY fender has greater risk of lifting damage.

#11 · (Edited)
And stating again, the slots (as shown in the above photos) are larger on the Solstice than on the SKY. Thus, the BMW pucks I purchased and used on my SKY will NOT WORK on the my Solstice. Further research will be necessary to ready the Solstice for lifting. (TS, I believe, has a Solstice. But I don't know if the photos he posted above are of his own car, or just available lifting photos.)
Correct I have a Solstice, and it's not my picture(s), but rather from others of the myriad "jacking position/puck" threads that are out there. :)

I'm pretty surprised at your slot-size statement. Maybe it's a model year thing, because the Sky and Sol are built on the exact same chassis and drivetrains off the line. I can say that I have the BMW pucks on my '08 Solstice and they fit and have been left clipped in for many years (>7).

#10 ·
I bought four of the "hockey puck" style with the eye bolts to use on my Sky. However, I used them on a friends Solstice, and just as davhamm did with his wood ones, I had to cut two of them for the front. The Solstice front fender does not have as much clearance as the Sky.

#17 ·
For what it's worth, the shipping tie-down slots on my 1st 1000 2006 Pontiac Solstice are 3/4 inch wide and 1 1/2 inch long, all 4 of them.

If someone would measure a 2009 chassis we will find out if GM changed this spec during the Kappa run.

:thumbs:

#24 ·
#25 ·
Black and Blue Lift Pucks?

Do you have a link or know the seller on ebay for the Black and Blue lift pucks you show? I have searched ebay for these and cannot find them. Thanks in advance for any help. TerryJ :nerd:

#27 ·
Do you have a link or know the seller on ebay for the Black and Blue lift pucks you show? I have searched ebay for these and cannot find them. Thanks in advance for any help. TerryJ :nerd:
Try this search. Its where I got mine for $23.50

"Blue CORVETTE LIFT PUCK Lift PADS, JACK PADs (SET OF 4) 2000-2016 T6
( 331979584770 )"

Sellers name = urethanepads

#26 ·
Had the BMW pads in my Coupe for 8 years now. If the Solstice owner need to trim the side of the front pads, I'm sure they can enlist the aid of someone that knows the mysteries of a hacksaw....

>:)

#36 ·
Thanks for the info. Are the leave in BMW type thick enough to not need anything extra to use a Floor jack?
I believe so, from what others have posted. But at this point I am not sure of much on this topic, cause lift and floor jack seem to be used to mean the same thing, then at other times to mean different things. Now there seems to be some question at least in my mind where to put a jack stand, On most cars I just do it at a suspension attachment point, I think thats ok on this car, but rob the elder seem to imply there is an issue (but didn't state what it was) with doing that.

Ugh, good thing I have no time to work on my car right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.