Quest for 200MPH - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Quest for 200MPH

Ok Guys and Gals if you remember back in Janurary I was talking about changing the gear ratio in our trany's and getting ready to build my car to be the first Saturn Sky to go 200MPH.
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...mission-49578/

Well its time to start.
Now that I've bought a new Lysholm/Whipple 1.6 supercharger its time to start the build thread.
Yes I am still working in Texas going back and forth so it will start slow but hoping to have everything done within the next 6-7 months. Other then DDM Dave helping with some motor and trany work its all my labor and money going into the project. Its not like, here Dave take my 10K and do what you can, type of thing. I do all my own work. I wanted to start with the T56 trany but now that I got the new S/C I'll start with that first. Here's some pictures of the new unit. I am not going to take it apart because its brand new but here are some pictures of how the twin screws are made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lysholm1600AX001-4.jpg
Views:	1512
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	55898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lysholm1600AX002-3.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	55906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lysholm1600AX003-2.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	55914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lysholm1600AX005-1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	55922  
Tweetybird likes this.

Soon to be a LS3 but:
Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors

Last edited by RickyD; 09-01-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #2 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:10 PM
GT!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Where will you drive it 200 MPH?

-GT
post #3 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This is just nuts!! This'll be a cool thread for sure. I'm thinking at 200 mph, our fiberglass fenders might disintegrate!! Be sure to keep us all posted Ricky.

2008 Redline, 5-Speed, Silver/Pearl, Red Leather
DDMWorks Brace Bundle/Kappa Shifter/Charge Pipes
Pedders XA Coilovers
Solo Performance Hi-Flow Cat
RPI GT Exhaust/RPI CAI MOD
Hahn Racecraft Intercooler

"Live Life...'cause Life Happens."
post #4 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
Now that I've bought a new Lysholm/Whipple 1.6 supercharger
That's not going to get you to 200mph.

2008 Solstice gxp
post #5 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT! View Post

-GT
I think that would be the least of his problems.

Ricky, good luck, I'll be watching. I think you'll get close but I'm not sure about 200. I hope you prove me wrong.

Bert

post #6 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well first I'm going to run it at the Texas Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT! View Post

-GT
Probably in Houston or maybe Beeville TX first to see where I sit then go from there. Hennessey always manages to find a unfinished road or something to run on so we'll see but need to run the mile first.
When I went in March and will again in Oct the Lamborghini Aventadors were running 178-186 in the mile. Now those cars weigh 3465 lbs (lbs more then a sky) sure they have HP but the torque is considerably lower then the HP at 511lbs and their drag coefficient is .33 compared to our stock little cars at .42, Camaro- 37, Mustang -36 and the 2017 Corvette Stingray at a ridiculously low .29! I almost find it hard to believe that a Mustang with its huge front end as a lower frontal drag area then a Sky so I think the .42 is a little high but what ever.
It will be a fun project I think.

Soon to be a LS3 but:
Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors
post #7 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha thanks Gabes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabes Redline View Post
This is just nuts!! This'll be a cool thread for sure. I'm thinking at 200 mph, our fiberglass fenders might disintegrate!! Be sure to keep us all posted Ricky.
you may be right on the fendors but at the mile they tape over everything that they even think will come off. I have plenty of 200mph tape if I need it

Soon to be a LS3 but:
Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors
post #8 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboborino View Post
I think that would be the least of his problems.

Ricky, good luck, I'll be watching. I think you'll get close but I'm not sure about 200. I hope you prove me wrong.

Bert

Stay warm up there and I'll keep you posted.

Soon to be a LS3 but:
Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors
post #9 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nope the 1.6 is just one step in motor mods to get me close to 450HP/375WHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
That's not going to get you to 200mph.
I will need at least 425 but would like 450HP. Then the sloped back window hard top, close out under body panels and a 6 speed transmission. The rest will come as the runs proceed. Without a wind tunnel to run it in you have to start some where.

Soon to be a LS3 but:
Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors
post #10 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I will need at least 425 but would like 450HP. Then the sloped back window hard top, close out under body panels and a 6 speed transmission. The rest will come as the runs proceed. Without a wind tunnel to run it in you have to start some where.
I'm a bike guy and just getting to understand cars but my two cents is this - I believe that the vehicle at the outset needed to be designed to handle the forces that this will entail. I don't think u can just take a car u happen to have and just add a bunch of power that it was not designed for to get there. I have seen videos of cars built for 200 and was shocked at the road and structural impacts. This was on a straightaway runway measured in miles. Tires can/will rip themselves to pieces with the heat. I wish u the best but I would not be the driver on a $25,000 car when only a hand full of cars in the world can do this this and they we're express built. To be honest I'm not do sure I'd do what they say it can do as is - IMHO.

2009 Sky Redline Silver Pearl, Red on Black

HFCat,Braces,Werks Sway bars,Werks Intake, OEM Spoiler, Racing stripes, MRZ Black Caps, RPI exhaust, Norm(Diffuser,Splitter,Skirts),JPM(console,shifter ,shroud), PillarPod
post #11 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Keep in mind drag isn't just resolved longitudinally. There are down vectors (aka down force) and up vectors (aka lift). Cars that are "designed" to go 200mph typically go through a lot engineering to manage the drag vectors...and airflow in general. Cars that haven't been designed to go 200mph can be an aero crap shoots. If all that extra drag is converted to down force....probably OK. Up force...that can be bad. Very bad.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #12 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 08:08 PM

At that speed any little but of a bump can turn the car into a sail and flip it up and over. If u have ever watched hydroplane racing u know what I mean. U don't want to try even slightly airborne at that speed. Nothing good happens then. This is an engineering probl not a power problem.

2009 Sky Redline Silver Pearl, Red on Black

HFCat,Braces,Werks Sway bars,Werks Intake, OEM Spoiler, Racing stripes, MRZ Black Caps, RPI exhaust, Norm(Diffuser,Splitter,Skirts),JPM(console,shifter ,shroud), PillarPod
post #13 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
The hennessey c7 corvette that did 200mph had 700hp, it weighs 350lbs more than a sky but has a 0.29 drag coefficient compared to 0.42 for the sky.

2008 Solstice gxp
post #14 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
When I went in March and will again in Oct the Lamborghini Aventadors were running 178-186 in the mile. Now those cars weigh 3465 lbs (lbs more then a sky) sure they have HP but the torque is considerably lower then the HP at 511lbs and their drag coefficient is .33 compared to our stock little cars at .42, Camaro- 37, Mustang -36 and the 2017 Corvette Stingray at a ridiculously low .29! I almost find it hard to believe that a Mustang with its huge front end as a lower frontal drag area then a Sky so I think the .42 is a little high but what ever.
It will be a fun project I think.
First, let me start by saying I always wish people the best of luck when it comes to these kinds of things. I've done a similar build trying to push an RC car past 100 mph. You'll find the closer you get to your number, the more work you have to do for every mph you improve.

Remember that drag coefficient isn't calculated by just the front profile of the vehicle hitting the air but also how the air moves over and past the vehicle. The largest two issues with the Sky and it's drag coefficient are the material of the convertible top and the abrupt drop off of that top at the back window. The way the air moves over this area of the car will generate a lot of parasitic drag as the barrier layer of air moving across the car disengages with the surface of the car and creates turbulence behind our rear window. Which is why the following post is going to be a necessity:

Quote:
Then the sloped back window hard top, close out under body panels and a 6 speed transmission. The rest will come as the runs proceed. Without a wind tunnel to run it in you have to start some where.
Note that the hard top will change the drag coefficient of the car tremendously and now you're into a whole new ballgame. The only way to know what the quantitive aerodynamic change is will be to get the car in a wind tunnel.

As for your underbody panels, you should see if you can get in touch with someone that understands the way air moves under a car. It would be beneficial to do something with the underbody to reduce air pressure and "suck" the car down to the ground when it comes to higher speeds. As others have mentioned, if too much air gets under the car and increases air pressure there the car may have the propensity to become a plane. That's bad.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #15 of 556 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
supercharger is the wrong choice. IAT will go to the moon.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in