Quest for 200MPH - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40rty View Post
Also, doesn't the cars rear facia produce a parachute affect? Even Norms facia does as well.
I'm sure it does...as do most rear bumpers. This is why often times at the track you'll see cars with holes in their rear bumpers or little flaps that can swing freely...allows air pressure buildup behind the bumper to escape. With a proper difuser and undercarrage this wouldn't be an issue. (Look at the bottom of a le Mans car...)

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:06 PM
GT!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
No, far less aerodynamic. The coupe is the best way to go.
I could remove the Windrestrictor, or at that speed with the top down maybe that would just take care of itself

-GT
post #33 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Oohhhh...never thought of that...that would rock but be very complex. I know similar builds have been done just would be interesting to see it done like this. Actually, doing it with the M62 would might be better since twin screws really move a ton of volume and have more parasitic drag than the roots.
mechanically/physically i dont think itll be complex, the tuning and fueling will be the hard part.

i think the m62 is too small because it wont be a good low end buffer for the turbo. he needs to make LOTS of power which means a big slow spooling turbo and i feel like the m62 doesnt make enough power soon enough to bridge the gap.

the m62 came on the old ion redline and cobalt ss/sc and you couldnt break 300whp, in fwd cars, with them without a tiny pully and lots of cooling mods to compensate for the scorching air it was pushing in the motor. everybody upgraded to a lysholm or whatever to go past 300whp.

i dont know for sure though but hopefully when i become a mechanical engineer i can learn this stuff.

GM Stage 1 Tune|Solo Street Race Exhaust With Magnaflow Mufflers|GMR 8K HIDs|Parking Light Leds|License Plate Leds|Little Chromies|3rd Brake Light Vinyl:REDLINE|GMR Pulsating and Sequential Taillights|

Last edited by |V3nom|; 09-04-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question: How fast did our 2jz friend from Canada go in his Solstice? Seems like he was over 160 on an old runway. (I really want to say he was more like 180...186 sticks in my mind actually, but it's been a few years and I didn't want to exaggerate the number.)

If the link is still good, it will be buried in his build thread on the Sol side.

Just doing my thingy... :)

Sky Sol Sister - 2006 Solstice
"Cookie" (I think?? Thanks Skip!! :) )
Delivered 11/30/05
Fully Loaded except XM and On-Star
including Perm-a-Grin!
post #35 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's Norms Full Hardtop. Anchored in at 3 points in the car. The only thing I would say would not be aerodynamic on the hardtop are where the door windows meets the B pillar(if that's what it's called). In the morning I had some dew in that area and after a run someone where I can see how the wind plays with the water on the top. Looks like the wind abruptly hits that pillar and shoots outward causing a marginal parachute effect. Other than that on the rest of the top the dew simply and somewhat uniformly moves towards the rear of the car to the bill. Wind tunnel, like everyone here is talking about is a must. Also, doesn't the cars rear facia produce a parachute affect? Even Norms facia does as well.
The stuff that's available is for looks mostly. I have the front splitter and the rear fascia and would bet my house that neither one was designed with anything remotely close to this in mind. They may even be counterproductive for all I know. People get big money at the concept stage to work this stuff out. At the concept stage! What are we building and what are we building it to do. The rest hangs on this last sentence. It is not engineered in as an after thought. Everything works with everything else. If it doesn't right from the outset this is a train wreck waiting to happen or in the best case a empty pit to toss money. If you don't care but want to just have the fun of trying go for it but just like anything else the danger/engineering curve versus speed for something like this is not linear it jumps quickly and keeps getting steeper as the speed goes up.I am pissing on parades but I read so many threads about chasing WHP and Torque and top speed etc etc - we own Kappas that were engineered to be safe within the guidelines of concept plan.There is a reason that cars in this top speed range are well into the 6 figures to buy..IMHO...Everyone can beat me up now!!!

2009 Sky Redline Silver Pearl, Red on Black

HFCat,Braces,Werks Sway bars,Werks Intake,OEM Spoiler,Racing stripes, MRZ Black Caps,RPI exhaust, Norm(Diffuser,Splitter,Skirts),JPM(console,shifter ,shroud),PillarPod,WaterMeth
post #36 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:00 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Found the post for the 2jz Solstice. BTW, it's a vert. No hardtop. 309 kph = 192 mph. OK, I was a little low with the 186.

Pontiac Solstice Forum - View Single Post - 2JZ Solstice Swap

Delivered 11/30/05
including Perm-a-Grin!
post #37 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by |V3nom| View Post
mechanically/physically i dont think itll be complex, the tuning and fueling will be the hard part.

i think the m62 is too small because it wont be a good low end buffer for the turbo. he needs to make LOTS of power which means a big slow spooling turbo and i feel like the m62 doesnt make enough power soon enough to bridge the gap.

the m62 came on the old ion redline and cobalt ss/sc and you couldnt break 300whp, in fwd cars, with them without a tiny pully and lots of cooling mods to compensate for the scorching air it was pushing in the motor. everybody upgraded to a lysholm or whatever to go past 300whp.

i dont know for sure though but hopefully when i become a mechanical engineer i can learn this stuff.
True. I had a roommate that had an Ion RedLine and I remember them being hard pressed to get much past 300 whp without meth and IC upgrades. I'm thinking more of a balance between parasitic drag from the SC and the need to keep boost low at launch to maintain traction.

This is why I say to get it right might prove difficult. I am invisioning a type of butterfly valve if you will where the Supercharger boost is only being used as the boost level of the turbo is below the boost level of the SC. The Twin Screw blowers are nice. The great thing is switching over to a twin screw from a roots is a night and day difference on top end. The M90 of my Grand Prix is like the M62. At about half track, you could feel power levels fall flat at the M90 was just not able to continue to feed enough air for the engine's higher RPM. With the 2.3L Whipple, you could feel that acceleration level you get down low continue through the entire powerband. Maybe it was just the displacement of the blower (the 2.3L Whipple could be used for the V8 Cobra Mustangs to replace the M110 blowers they came with) but it was a big difference on our V6s. He may not need to go twincharged with that SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
The stuff that's available is for looks mostly. I have the front splitter and the rear fascia and would bet my house that neither one was designed with anything remotely close to this in mind. They may even be counterproductive for all I know. People get big money at the concept stage to work this stuff out. At the concept stage! What are we building and what are we building it to do. The rest hangs on this last sentence. It is not engineered in as an after thought. Everything works with everything else. If it doesn't right from the outset this is a train wreck waiting to happen or in the best case a empty pit to toss money. If you don't care but want to just have the fun of trying go for it but just like anything else the danger/engineering curve versus speed for something like this is not linear it jumps quickly and keeps getting steeper as the speed goes up.I am pissing on parades but I read so many threads about chasing WHP and Torque and top speed etc etc - we own Kappas that were engineered to be safe within the guidelines of concept plan.There is a reason that cars in this top speed range are well into the 6 figures to buy..IMHO...Everyone can beat me up now!!!
You're absolutely right. What the OP is trying to do pushes the design of this vehicle well beyond what the engineers at GM intended. The further you push that envelope, the more dangerous and expensive it gets. In the end though, isn't the car, by it's very nature, the definition of pushing something beyond it's design parameters and creating a more dangerous situation because of it? Flight, space travel, sailing...same thing. For whatever reason it seems to be in our DNA to push ourselves beyond what nature, or eningeers, intended.

The hardtop for the Sky will definately improve it's aerodynamics. Will it fail at over 200 mph? Doubtful. But the physics of it leads one to believe it SHOULD be a subtatial improvement over the stock cloth top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihawk95 View Post
Found the post for the 2jz Solstice. BTW, it's a vert. No hardtop. 309 kph = 192 mph. OK, I was a little low with the 186.

1. Daymn!

2. If the OP can match that setup I bet he can crack 200 with just chaning out the soft top for the hard top.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #38 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
192 would only be possible with a 6 speed trany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihawk95 View Post

Our stock transmission is topped out at 167mph. Now if he had a T56 like I'll be going to they calculate out to 201mph at 6100rpms. 192 is not possible with the stock transmission.

Soon to be a LS3 but:
Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors
post #39 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I very much agree that it's all for looks I just hope you could redirect that towards the op. He's the one doing this not me. I don't care for top speed or 200mph.

2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks V8 Conversion- LS376 525hp 6.2L, TR6060 6-speed, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, DDMWorks Backbone brace, DDMWorks Pro Beam, BC Coilovers, Wilwood(Front)BBK, Norms Full Hardtop and Rear facia. Tuned on LS2Edit
post #40 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
Our stock transmission is topped out at 167mph. Now if he had a T56 like I'll be going to they calculate out to 201mph at 6100rpms. 192 is not possible with the stock transmission.
You're trying to solve this issue backwards, first get the power that pantherqs has then worry about everything else. You'll never hit 200mph with that supercharger that you bought, might as well send it back and buy a turbo that has a compressor wheel as big as a grapefruit.

2008 Solstice gxp
post #41 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I very much agree that it's all for looks I just hope you could redirect that towards the op. He's the one doing this not me. I don't care for top speed or 200mph.
I didn't write what I did directed at anyone it was a comment on the overall approach to this whole subject. What in hell is an op?

2009 Sky Redline Silver Pearl, Red on Black

HFCat,Braces,Werks Sway bars,Werks Intake,OEM Spoiler,Racing stripes, MRZ Black Caps,RPI exhaust, Norm(Diffuser,Splitter,Skirts),JPM(console,shifter ,shroud),PillarPod,WaterMeth
post #42 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
What in hell is an op?
Original Poster

2008 Bluestone Sky Redline
Venom Brace
Backbone Brace
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
Trifecta tune
post #43 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The 1.6 has over twice the volume as my MP62

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
You're trying to solve this issue backwards, first get the power that pantherqs has then worry about everything else. You'll never hit 200mph with that supercharger that you bought, might as well send it back and buy a turbo that has a compressor wheel as big as a grapefruit.
No turbo here don't want one plus everybody runs a turbo. The new SC is just for the extra CFMs viruses the 62. I plan to do some motor work as we'll. DDM Dave is thinking a LSJ head and custom ground cams. Once I get my new T56 trany I'll be heading up to their shop for some work. 😀

Soon to be a LS3 but:
Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors
post #44 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 11:16 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
If you haven't done so already, you should read through his thread. Start at the post above and read the next few pages. He still had the stock transmission on the car at that point. And he replaced it with another stock transmission and it's still on the car as of a few weeks ago.

This:

And why it happened:

And the post from August:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/1459409-post605.html

Delivered 11/30/05
including Perm-a-Grin!

Last edited by ihawk95; 09-04-2014 at 11:19 PM.
post #45 of 557 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have and I'm not following you.

He replaced the stock trany with another stock trany. If that's the case both 5 speeds which won't get you past 167 if even that since GXPs redline hits before that regardless of horsepower or aerodynamics. His GPS must have been calibrated wrong because you just can't get there with our 5 speeds. If it was possible I wouldn't be spending 6000 for the T56 and adapter kit.

QUOTE=ihawk95;791450]If you haven't done so already, you should read through his thread. Start at the post above and read the next few pages. He still had the stock transmission on the car at that point. And he replaced it with another stock transmission and it's still on the car as of a few weeks ago.

This:

And why it happened:

And the post from August:
Pontiac Solstice Forum - View Single Post - 2JZ Solstice Swap[/QUOTE]

Soon to be a LS3 but:
Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in