Redline lower grill inserts - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By tporter
  • 1 Post By Robotech
  • 1 Post By Amorget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Redline lower grill inserts

Is there any advantage to swapping out grill inserts for redline vented inserts, and will they fit, just wondering.
Emmett likes this.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter View Post
Is there any advantage to swapping out grill inserts for redline vented inserts, and will they fit, just wondering.
If you add in the brake vent tubes and Redline Fender inserts you get more air moving into the wheel well for better brake cooling...

...allegedly. LOL I just converted the 2.4 lower outside grill inserts to do the same thing.
Emmett likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Any idea where I could pick up some?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter View Post
The advantage is aesthetic mostly. Yes. Fits great.

These are part numbers for OpelGT. Parts are same as for the Redline.

15286228 opel insert
15286229 opel insert
15286225 opel grille

I also swapped the headlamps.

The attachments are before and after.

(I've since moved the license plate to directly over the grille. I might remove it completely)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180929_001.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	534.1 KB
ID:	104697   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180624_009.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	104699  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
If you add in the brake vent tubes and Redline Fender inserts you get more air moving into the wheel well for better brake cooling...

...allegedly. LOL I just converted the 2.4 lower outside grill inserts to do the same thing.
Do you have the part numbers or the exact part names so I can search for them? I'm interested.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
Do you have the part numbers or the exact part names so I can search for them? I'm interested.
25816339 duct driver side
25816340 duct passenger side
25914762 fender liner driver side
25914761 fender liner passenger side

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:23 PM

Garage
Thanks. I found the parts on parts.com. sometimes they say they have a part but don't.

Tomorrow I'm replacing the convertible top so I'm watching my car budget.

In two weeks - I get my next paycheck - and I'll try purchasing the parts after then.

Thanks Robo. I would not have thought about getting those parts is you hadn't suggested it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
To note, you can just cut holes in your stock fender liners for the vents instead of buying Redline ones. My aftermarket replacement fender liner didn't have the hole in it so I cut it myself with a hole saw.
Robotech likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage
You can just buy the brake cooling ducts, the grill "inserts" for the Redline, for the look and cooling benefits to your base 2.4 model.

The fender liner parts are more than likely not needed, for this conversion however. New liner runs around $48. times 2 here give or take.
After the removal of both old ones, then the re-install of new ones, seems a bit expensive and work involved for brake cooling.
How much brake cooling does it actually do here?
Small hole saw, Dremel tool... and your in business. Now for the connecting tubes you can save money by using parts from Home Depot, Lowes.

Downspout from the gutters to your house, the black fitment attachments square end/round end, and tubing, that black ribbed 6' drainage tubes works.
Even the dryer vent tubing, the shiny silver foil or the metal version could be used here. Couple of wire ties and your in business for less money.
You could spent well over $100. on the new fender liners OEM parts, plus tax & shipping/wait time. The Home Depot/Lowes option might cost less than $30.
I think Robo has photos of his conversion on this project? I have done this Home Depot routine, but on a different car, and not... for brake cooling.
I made a dual snorkel air cleaner, with forced ram air intakes for my Formula Firebird back in the day. Made a difference too!

IF... you need brake cooling? In stop and go city traffic, your brakes do heat up some, a given. No air flow through these vents to cool the brakes however.
Only at high speed would there be enough air to cool down your brakes, then again at hwy. speeds your not using your brakes enough to over heat them.
On a track day event, auto cross, time attack... yes you could over heat your brakes. You could cool them some, with these vents.
Better brake fluid Dot 5, pads, vented/slotted or crossed drilled rotors would be the option here, but the cost would be expensive to say the lest.

Your money, your car.. for the looks or for the need, it's all good.

* Emmett- Tomorrow I'm replacing the convertible top so I'm watching my car budget.

I'll be interested in your results for this. I am thinking about doing mine too.
In fact I have to make a few repairs to mine today. Couple of seams let go the other day.. on my first drop the top day cruise to
Summit Point Raceway the other day. New top is on my To-Do list. I have no shops near where I live to do this replacement. I have the $$$ for this now.
Finding a shop with a good reputation and previous history doing this is.. a whole different matter here in the DMV region however.

LAC

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in