Saturn Sky 100,000 mile review - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Saturn Sky 100,000 mile review

Well my little girl has hit the 100,000 milestone (two weekends ago actually). I just wanted to pass along a short summary of the years and miles I put on my Sky since I got her in March of 2006:

I can first say that I still absolutely love my car and in these years since becoming a Sky owner I have not once thought about getting something new or adding a second car to the garage. Sure, cargo space has been a compromise but now I know how to pack lighter, and its not the sort of vehicle you would want to have on hand to help someone move - but I knew that coming in to it - I have become closer friends with the SUV owners in my life.

The little car has held up very well and still turns heads on a regular basis here in 2012. There are the occasional questions about what it is when I am at a light or whistles saying its a hot car while getting gas but I think it is a car people now know pretty well, I see maybe 3-4 a week other than mine and still offer a wave if the other drive is paying attention. Even despite its regularity, when it is shined up and the top is down you can't deny the timeless beauty of the lines and styling of the Sky.

She runs just fine too, I have had regular oil changes, use 93 octane, and did a 33,000 mile tune up as well as a 75,000 mile tune up. Costs of ownership have been low save for replacing the tires. In the 5+ years I believe I have bought 9 tires (one was due to road damage, 2 were thanks to neighborhood scumbags who slashed all tires on the block) so its not an unreasonable number of replacements but at $300+/tire it can be costly!

As for other issues here is the running list of ANYTHING wrong or repaired on my ride:
- Differential Leak (repaired per TSB/recall notice)
- Rubber lining of trunk was warped at delivery (repaired free of charge in 2006)
- Passenger seat leather had a hole at delivery (repaired free of charge in 2006)
- Metal "Sky" logo plate in door well came unglued (used screws to hold it back in)
- One of the chrome convertible anchor locations came unglued in hot heat as of late (gorilla glue worked for a bit - any suggestions - EDIT - The Permatex suggestion from J Sky was perfect)
- Had to replace two pairs of tail light bulbs
- Had to replace one pair of parking lamp bulbs (one just went out on Saturday -haha)
- Had to replace one low-beam head lamp bulbs (ironically I am ordering new pair today with the parking lamp bulbs)
- My stereo crapped out by my own acts (EDIT - Back in business - got a used 6-disc off eBay and popped her in and we were good to go, needed to be unlocked at dealer)
- I was jamming on my steering wheel and I have dented in the metal logo in the center of the steering wheel - whoops
- 9 new tires
- Emergency brake needed to be tightened
- Brake pads and rotors replaced at around 80k
- Blown fuses for stereo, key fob, horn (replaced with spares in car)

In all I don't think its a bad turnout for a low number VIN new release that has clocked over 100k miles. A lot of the things I listed were by my own fault or just regular maintenance as well.

As for where she has been over all of these miles:
- Cross country twice
- Key west
- Times Square
- In several blizzards (never gave up!)
- Housed in a garage in 3 different states
- Survived street parking for 8 months in Washington DC
- Has fit 4 passengers on one occasion (only drove a few miles)
- Been in 3 parades
- Only Saturn to be allowed on to the Carlisle Fairgrounds during Corvette show (2006)
- Caused one fender bender (I was not involved) when driver in left lane was looking a bit too long (back in early '06)
- Countless concert and sporting event tailgates
- Been on a flatbed truck 2 times
- Has never let me down
- Has never stopped looking great

The perma-smile? Its still there - thanks to GM for making such a reliable, affordable, beautiful car!

Taken at 100,610 miles on Saturday.

1994 SC2 (Obituary)
2007 SKY (Thread 'n Pics)
VIN 326
5 spd, black trim, chromies, XM 6-disc (full of puke), deck spoiler, LSD, painted visors, leather/chrome e-brake

Last edited by 1994SC2; 07-24-2012 at 12:28 AM.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice post, and beautiful pic.

Try permatex black adhesive for the chrome plate. That's what I used years ago after I pulled them off to remove the peeling clear film underneath them. My car sits outside daily in all types of weather conditions and the adhesive hasn't failed yet.

07 Silver 2.4 #329
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM

Awesome - Thanks, nice to see how the car holds up with higher mileage... Good Luck.

'72 Nova
'81 RS Camaro
'84 TransAm
'86 Grand National
'08 Sky 2.4
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J SKY View Post
Try permatex black adhesive for the chrome plate.
Thanks, I just ordered a tube on Amazon (prime eligible) for under 5 bucks. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: Also noticed we were only 3 Vin numbers off (326 and 329) - our beauties were probably parked right next to one another on their first mile.

1994 SC2 (Obituary)
2007 SKY (Thread 'n Pics)
VIN 326
5 spd, black trim, chromies, XM 6-disc (full of puke), deck spoiler, LSD, painted visors, leather/chrome e-brake

Last edited by 1994SC2; 07-16-2012 at 11:14 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM

Garage
Love it!!!!! Thanks for your post.

efbrodiesr
2008 2.4
Silver Pearl
Red Leather interior
Black top
Automatic
No modifications
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Great post and comforting to know what I have to look forward to!

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

My SKY was love at first sight, that's why it's stock. . .on the outside
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?
How can you expect me to stay grounded when I always drive in the SKY. . . on the Redline....
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm at 69000 miles and I glad to see that this car is reliable as the miles are acquired. I also have had the occasionally stare and "Nice Car" given at different locations.

Sunburst Yellow
Ordered 4/5/06
Born 7/6/06
In my Driveway 8/16/06 VIN 6510

Fun Runs in the St Louis Area
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I also have had the occasionally stare and "Nice Car" given at different locations.
I still get stares almost daily and last week someone asked me if it was a Viper, lol.

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

My SKY was love at first sight, that's why it's stock. . .on the outside
When you turn your car on, does it return the favour?
How can you expect me to stay grounded when I always drive in the SKY. . . on the Redline....
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine has 20,000 on it so I have a ways to go.

2008 2.4 AUTO MIDNGT BLUE BLK TOP BLK LTHR gone but not forgotten.
2008 Vette Jetstream Blue
2003 Silverado Arrival Blue
1998 Vette Black
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 AM

My baby comes out only on very special occasions. She has less than 15K miles. After 5 years, that means at my rate I have 33.3 more years before I hit 100,000 miles.

Man, she will get a full parts swop out and put on the Barrett Jackson Floor way before then! Just 20 more years! LOL. She still feels and looks showroom. Not a chip, ding, scratch, wrinkle, fade, etc. Every time I get in feels like the first time.

I am impressed by your record keeping. Great review. I love to know that so many people use this car daily and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
Mother always told me never to pay more than $40 for a rimjob.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmicro_Redline View Post
My baby comes out only on very special occasions. She has less than 15K miles. After 5 years, that means at my rate I have 33.3 more years before I hit 100,000 miles.

Man, she will get a full parts swop out and put on the Barrett Jackson Floor way before then! Just 20 more years! LOL. She still feels and looks showroom. Not a chip, ding, scratch, wrinkle, fade, etc. Every time I get in feels like the first time.

I am impressed by your record keeping. Great review. I love to know that so many people use this car daily and enjoy.
If I lived in Vegas mine would have more miles. It is just for top down days. If the top is up the Vette is more fun to drive.

2008 2.4 AUTO MIDNGT BLUE BLK TOP BLK LTHR gone but not forgotten.
2008 Vette Jetstream Blue
2003 Silverado Arrival Blue
1998 Vette Black
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 05:14 AM

Plenty of top down days here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
Mother always told me never to pay more than $40 for a rimjob.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 AM

Hey, great post! Good to hear It has been a dependable car and I am hoping that is a good omen for the rest of us!

In the last three weeks have had 2 people follow me to work just to ask what kind of car it is. One fellow thought it was a new style Corvette LOL!

"Scarlett"
2008 Sky Red Line + GMPP Turbo Upgrade
Black Top on Chili Pepper
5 Speed
Black Leather
Chrome Wheels
Monsoon 6 disk
Spoiler
Nakid - no emblems
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994SC2 View Post
EDIT: Also noticed we were only 3 Vin numbers off (326 and 329) - our beauties were probably parked right next to one another on their first mile.
A very nice post, and I hope I experience that kind of maintenance when I reach 100K.

Regarding the VIN numbers, my VIN is 100044, and the dealer tells me it came off the assembly line on December 16, 2005. I was not aware of any of this in November of 2011, when I purchased the vehicle. Since then, I have even located the GM employee who first drove the car some 8000 miles. When I got the car it had 20,400 miles and now has 23,500. Having read these blogs since, I feel pretty fortunate not to have any of the problems others are experiencing. But I must say, these blogs are a life saver!! Without these blogs I would be in trouble. My picture postings always either eventually disappear or fail. I guess on a site like this, that apparently is to be expected. I posted three pictures of my Chili Pepper Red NA, but now they are gone. If you send an email, you can reach me on [email protected] and I'll share the photos of my tag along trailer we use on longer trips from AZ to CO.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994SC2 View Post
Well my little girl has hit the 100,000 milestone (two weekends ago actually). I just wanted to pass along a short summary of the years and miles I put on my Sky since I got her in March of 2006:

I can first say that I still absolutely love my car and in these years since becoming a Sky owner I have not once thought about getting something new or adding a second car to the garage. Sure, cargo space has been a compromise but now I know how to pack lighter, and its not the sort of vehicle you would want to have on hand to help someone move - but I knew that coming in to it - I have become closer friends with the SUV owners in my life.

The little car has held up very well and still turns heads on a regular basis here in 2012. There are the occasional questions about what it is when I am at a light or whistles saying its a hot car while getting gas but I think it is a car people now know pretty well, I see maybe 3-4 a week other than mine and still offer a wave if the other drive is paying attention. Even despite its regularity, when it is shined up and the top is down you can't deny the timeless beauty of the lines and styling of the Sky.

She runs just fine too, I have had regular oil changes, use 93 octane, and did a 33,000 mile tune up as well as a 75,000 mile tune up. Costs of ownership have been low save for replacing the tires. In the 5+ years I believe I have bought 9 tires (one was due to road damage, 2 were thanks to neighborhood scumbags who slashed all tires on the block) so its not an unreasonable number of replacements but at $300+/tire it can be costly!

As for other issues here is the running list of ANYTHING wrong or repaired on my ride:
- Differential Leak (repaired per TSB/recall notice)
- Rubber lining of trunk was warped at delivery (repaired free of charge in 2006)
- Passenger seat leather had a hole at delivery (repaired free of charge in 2006)
- Metal "Sky" logo plate in door well came unglued (used screws to hold it back in)
- One of the chrome convertible anchor locations came unglued in hot heat as of late (gorilla glue worked for a bit - any suggestions - EDIT - The Permatex suggestion from J Sky was perfect)
- Had to replace two pairs of tail light bulbs
- Had to replace one pair of parking lamp bulbs (one just went out on Saturday -haha)
- Had to replace one low-beam head lamp bulbs (ironically I am ordering new pair today with the parking lamp bulbs)
- My stereo crapped out by my own acts (EDIT - Back in business - got a used 6-disc off eBay and popped her in and we were good to go, needed to be unlocked at dealer)
- I was jamming on my steering wheel and I have dented in the metal logo in the center of the steering wheel - whoops
- 9 new tires
- Emergency brake needed to be tightened
- Brake pads and rotors replaced at around 80k
- Blown fuses for stereo, key fob, horn (replaced with spares in car)

In all I don't think its a bad turnout for a low number VIN new release that has clocked over 100k miles. A lot of the things I listed were by my own fault or just regular maintenance as well.

As for where she has been over all of these miles:
- Cross country twice
- Key west
- Times Square
- In several blizzards (never gave up!)
- Housed in a garage in 3 different states
- Survived street parking for 8 months in Washington DC
- Has fit 4 passengers on one occasion (only drove a few miles)
- Been in 3 parades
- Only Saturn to be allowed on to the Carlisle Fairgrounds during Corvette show (2006)
- Caused one fender bender (I was not involved) when driver in left lane was looking a bit too long (back in early '06)
- Countless concert and sporting event tailgates
- Been on a flatbed truck 2 times
- Has never let me down
- Has never stopped looking great

The perma-smile? Its still there - thanks to GM for making such a reliable, affordable, beautiful car!

Taken at 100,610 miles on Saturday.
I'm glad to hear you have had a positive experience with the Sky. I hope you get many more summer trips out of her. Thanks for the post!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in