Well my little girl has hit the 100,000 mile
stone (two weekends ago actually). I just wanted to pass along a short summary of the years and miles I put on my Sky since I got her in March of 2006:
I can first say that I still absolutely love my car and in these years since becoming a Sky owner I have not once thought about getting something new or adding a second car to the garage. Sure, cargo space has been a compromise but now I know how to pack lighter, and its not the sort of vehicle you would want to have on hand to help someone move - but I knew that coming in to it - I have become closer friends with the SUV owners in my life.
The little car has held up very well and still turns heads on a regular basis here in 2012. There are the occasional questions about what it is when I am at a light or whistles saying its a hot car while getting gas but I think it is a car people now know pretty well, I see maybe 3-4 a week other than mine and still offer a wave if the other drive is paying attention. Even despite its regularity, when it is shined up and the top is down you can't deny the timeless beauty of the lines and styling of the Sky.
She runs just fine too, I have had regular oil changes, use 93 octane, and did a 33,000 mile tune up as well as a 75,000 mile tune up. Costs of ownership have been low save for replacing the tires. In the 5+ years I believe I have bought 9 tires (one was due to road damage, 2 were thanks to neighborhood scumbags who slashed all tires on the block) so its not an unreasonable number of replacements but at $300+/tire it can be costly!
As for other issues here is the running list of ANYTHING wrong or repaired on my ride:
- Differential Leak (repaired per TSB/recall notice)
- Rubber lining of trunk was warped at delivery (repaired free of charge in 2006)
- Passenger seat leather had a hole at delivery (repaired free of charge in 2006)
- Metal "Sky" logo plate in door well came unglued (used screws to hold it back in)
- One of the chrome convertible anchor locations came unglued in hot heat as of late (gorilla glue worked for a bit - any suggestions - EDIT - The Permatex suggestion from J Sky was perfect)
- Had to replace two pairs of tail light bulbs
- Had to replace one pair of parking lamp bulbs (one just went out on Saturday -haha)
- Had to replace one low-beam head lamp bulbs (ironically I am ordering new pair today with the parking lamp bulbs)
- My stereo crapped out by my own acts
(EDIT - Back in business - got a used 6-disc off eBay and popped her in and we were good to go, needed to be unlocked at dealer)
- I was jamming on my steering wheel and I have dented in the metal logo in the center of the steering wheel - whoops
- 9 new tires
- Emergency brake needed to be tightened
- Brake pads and rotors replaced at around 80k
- Blown fuses for stereo, key fob, horn (replaced with spares in car)
In all I don't think its a bad turnout for a low number VIN new release that has clocked over 100k miles. A lot of the things I listed were by my own fault or just regular maintenance as well.
As for where she has been over all of these miles:
- Cross country twice
- Key west
- Times Square
- In several blizzards (never gave up!)
- Housed in a garage in 3 different states
- Survived street parking for 8 months in Washington DC
- Has fit 4 passengers on one occasion (only drove a few miles)
- Been in 3 parades
- Only Saturn to be allowed on to the Carlisle Fairgrounds during Corvette show (2006)
- Caused one fender bender (I was not involved) when driver in left lane was looking a bit too long (back in early '06)
- Countless concert and sporting event tailgates
- Been on a flatbed truck 2 times
- Has never let me down
- Has never stopped looking great
The perma-smile? Its still there - thanks to GM for making such a reliable, affordable, beautiful car!
Taken at 100,610 miles on Saturday.