SoCal SKYs Car Club Jackets Unveiled December 9th - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
SoCal SKYs Car Club Jackets Unveiled December 9th

Thought the larger world might like seeing these... Our informal SoCal SKYs Car Club is now blessed with custom jackets. I had GRinLR,AR do a club logo for us, and my "line art request thread" provided a really cool graphic of the front of the SKY (I'd like to know who did that... I have no idea!)

We put the club logo on the left front, and the SKY face across the whole back. Members are getting their jackets with the back stitching the color of their cars. I elected for "Red Lines" because my car is BLACK and I really liked how the "Red Lines" looked on the black jacket. The back emblem can be done in either "Red Line" or "Original" vent configuration, too.

Next time we get the gang together I hope to get a group shot with a lot of the jackets in it. As of now we only have two, but orders are going in for about half a dozen more for various club members.

Anyway, thought you might like seeing some pics, so here's mine... Pic 1 is the front, pic 2 is a close-up of the club logo patch stitched right into the jacket, pic 3 is the back, and I shot pic 4 with no flash so you can get an idea of how it pops under natural light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$J1.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	765.2 KB
ID:	9391   Click image for larger version

Name:	$J2.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	9392   Click image for larger version

Name:	$J3.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	9393   Click image for larger version

Name:	$J4.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	9394  

First:"BABY" Silver Pearl 9 May 06
Then:"SPIRIT" Black Onyx Red Line 25 Oct 06

Check out My Photos!

Last edited by JohnD; 01-17-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:13 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdigiant View Post
Thought the larger world might like seeing these... Our informal SoCal SKYs Car Club is now blessed with custom jackets. I had GRinLR,AR do a club logo for us, and my "line art request thread" provided a really cool graphic of the front of the SKY (I'd like to know who did that... I have no idea!)

We put the club logo on the left front, and the SKY face across the whole back. Members are getting their jackets with the back stitching the color of their cars. I elected for "Red Lines" because my car is BLACK and I really liked how the "Red Lines" looked on the black jacket. The back emblem can be done in either "Red Line" or "Original" vent configuration, too.

Next time we get the gang together I hope to get a group shot with a lot of the jackets in it. As of now we only have two, but orders are going in for about half a dozen more for various club members.

Anyway, though you might like seeing some pics, so here's mine... Pic 1 is the front, pic 2 is a close-up of the club logo patch stitched right into the jacket, pic 3 is the back, and I shot pic 4 with no flash so you can get an idea of how it pops under natural light.
Very

MACH SKY
RL Auto(Stomp 'n Go),Tan/Tan 6 CD,XM,Chrome
Home 11/05/06
http://cafepress.com/wholesky
http://cafepress.com/RichDesign
http://richmcclelland.imagekind.com
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 07:37 AM

out of curiosity did you get permission to use the Saturn emblem from GM before you made the jackets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 10:41 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to tolaiz
[QUOTE=jdigiant;140805]Thought the larger world might like seeing these... Our informal SoCal SKYs Car Club is now blessed with custom jackets.

I was one of the first to get my jacket and I gotta tell you guys, I love it. It's warm but not too hot or bulky. It kept me very warm yet comfortable to move around. I wear it proudly. I am sure you are all going to like the feel of it. John, thanks for bringing this to us, I love my "club Jacket!! Thanks for the great day on Sunday. We had so much fun and the food was to die for. As usual, great job in organizing the entire day. As my 6 year old grandson would say, "You the Bomb!!"

Terry & Louie

Chili Pepper Red
Blk Leather/Blk top
cd/prem. pkg
LSD and spoiler
automatic
chrome wheels
Delivered 5/24/06
Pick Up - 5/25/06
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Garage
Okay Jon, who do I send the check for that to? That is KILLER.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBVette View Post
out of curiosity did you get permission to use the Saturn emblem from GM before you made the jackets?
There is no Saturn or SKY emblem appearing anywhere on the jackets. The patch is original artwork (in fact, the nose of the car is so small there is not even a Saturn emblem on the chrome strip) and the back is just a stylized line drawing of the car - again, not trademarked or copyrighted in any way.

I think I am legal here.

Check out My Photos!
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM

actually the back of the jacket has the Saturn logo. Wether its origional artwork or not that emblem is copyrighted. So just be careful advertising it for sale.

(I dont really care, I have heard of GM not being happy about these type things)
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
actually the back of the jacket has the Saturn logo. Wether its origional artwork or not that emblem is copyrighted. So just be careful advertising it for sale.

(I dont really care, I have heard of GM not being happy about these type things)
I forgot about the back!

Okay, I think I'll have to put a happy face in the box on the nose or something...

Check out My Photos!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 11:51 AM

Honestly I would try to keep it b/c it looks great. Just cross your fingers GM doesnt see it. Or just make one minor change to the emblem and your golden
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Garage
Just fill it in solid or something John...

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 04:17 PM

I was thinking of making a cap for sky owners with the saturn emblem at the back of the cap center. I sent a letter asking and GM said...lets see...i have the letter here. let me scan it in....

NO!

T
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Honestly I would try to keep it b/c it looks great. Just cross your fingers GM doesnt see it. Or just make one minor change to the emblem and your golden
I would have to agree to a point, even changing the logo a little doesn't work now days. In the past, you could change a logo by about 15% and it would be seen as a 'new' logo, but now that is not the case. A basic path to follow is that if someone can look at the logo and say that it is a "Saturn Sky", your in copyright trouble. Actually, the shape of the car- the image of it that is, is copyrighted. Having the Saturn logo on the back is also a big No No. GM doesn't even allow us to use any of their logos on sample items. I would suggest that you contact GM with the idea and how you plan to use the logo/art and most likely they will give you permission to use it. Actually the person who would get in trouble is not you for having it done, but the shop that did the work- so if they don't mind taking the risk of getting 10's of 1000's in possible fines so be it, you would be in the clear...unless of course the lawyers said all the items made had to be found and destroyed. Granted, this is a worst case senerio, but it has happened before- due to the copyright and piracy laws. Sorry if I rained on the parade.

Last edited by Kustomkaps; 12-11-2006 at 04:36 PM.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 04:35 PM

Looks great - nice work! Sure would like to see that Sky outline on a sweatshirt or tshirt.

Ruthie

2007 Black Onyx Redline

I work hard - I play harder
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I think they look great!! If the Saturn logo in the back is an issue, just put a S in there if there is a problem with any copy rights. However, I would think GM/Saturn should feel proud that owners went out and "developed" an item in demand. However, if lets say, they had some marketing guru already working or designing accessories, they might not like this since it is making money off there stuff.. However, I would think it really depends if these jackets are being "created & designed" to make a profit, or to take advantage of the GM trade marks. Never the less, the back of the jackets in my limited legal opinion, does leave who ever is taking in the money I would think open to a law suit, especially if they are making a "profit" <<key word IMHO--unfortunately--

BTW, do the jackets come in any other color? Black is not my favorite color for a jacket--

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
I am an above-board kind of guy, so I will look into it and make good.

Check out My Photos!

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in