Squeaks, rattles, and lube - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By a280z
  • 1 Post By Need4Speed2
  • 1 Post By LAC Sky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Squeaks, rattles, and lube

Solved a lot of the annoying squeaks, rattles, and groaning/chatter noises from the car this weekend after reading a lot of old posts.

Door rattles:
Use red permanent loctite 262 in door striker. Drip into pin that is pressed in, let it dry 24h, no more rattles from door. If this fails, I'll use a punch and mesh the pin to the plate and re-loctite it.

Rear end noises that sound like wheel bearing, loose hub bolts, or brake/dust shield drag (but are not):
Change LSD differential fluid in the Getrag diff. Use Royal Purple 75w90 Max Gear with LSD additives. This solves the chattering/binding feeling at low speed turns, and somehow makes the car way smoother to drive. I had changed it to Mobil 1 75w90 LS, but that actually made it worse than the sludgy factory fluid that was in there. If the noise comes back, I'll add 2oz of Genuine GM Fluid 88900330. You need a 10mm allen key and don't need to lift the rear to change the fluid. A fluid pump is a must, and the car should be level. Take the fill plug off first before draining to make sure it's not stripped/stuck.

Front end squeaks when going over bumps:
Grease front swaybar bushings using Permatex 22058 dielectric grease. The 4 15mm bracket bolts are easy to take off once you have properly raised and secured the front of the car. Once the bushings are removed, clean the entire bar area, bushings, and brackets before running a liberal bead of the grease on the inside of the split bushing, as well as the channel of the bracket.

Front rattle:
Check hood by pushing down near window edges. If you can move, open the hood and turn the rubber striker a half turn and test again. Make sure the hood doesn't rattle AND you haven't changed the transition lines of the car (along fender, between door and hood). While you are at it, spray white lithium grease on the hood latches, and grease all the hinge points, including the hood lift assist shock ends.

Suspension squeaks:
If your shocks don't have visible oil and you get odd squeaks, this may help. Use the silicon spray (like B'laster 16-SL Industrial Strength Silicone Lubricant with Teflon) on all ball joints and in upper and lower wishbone bushings. Don't get any on your brakes

Top maintenance, especially for pinches and retraction issues:
Use the dielectric grease to refresh your weatherstripping, and also liberally apply to the folding weatherstrip in the top. Retract top half way, reach between into the part that hits the fabric and make sure the metal as well as all the visible rubber has fresh grease on it. Do this for the windshield frame rubber, as well as the door/window sash and all visible weatherstrip around the door/trunk. It works pretty well as a "back to black" treatment as well. Remember to get some on the little flappy doors where the frame and cable lift them up. Check your cables and cable clips while you are at it, and replace with these https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Aut...dp/B0146YPHP8/ if necessary.

Bonus:
Replace the RC car antenna with the shorter Opel one, looks way better and doesn't bend as much at speed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RP5BA0/

Still have to tackle:
The car is much quieter now, but now I need to focus on the rear center cupholder rattle, and the garage door opener rattle.
mstrjon32 likes this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Door rattle changed but did not disappear. Using a metal punch, was able to mesh the plate with the pin with about 9 points, and re-loctite it. No further noises from door.

Garaged door opener clamshell was rattling, not just the spring clip on the visor. Black rubber band around the seam solved that.

Car is so much quieter now.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Great read, thanks!
a280z likes this.

Need4Speed2
SF Bay Area, CA
2008 Redline, 49k miles
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Garage
This is good reading and stuff to check on your Kappa. I was just out there doing most of what you described in your post, the other day. Couple of days as a matter of fact. Spent the better part of 3 days( so that's what you do when your retired clean/polish car besides cutting the grass every 3 days) and... a few adult beverages, going over these things. Still not done yet, there is always something more to check on the Kappa. Cleaning, tightening, lubrication to certain parts, spent 3 hours on my top alone. Cleaned and water proofed the fabric. Stitching repairs again, Di-electric grease the weather strips, gaskets seals, hinge points. I try to break it down to 3 areas of concern here. Engine bay. Top/body. Under carriage.

Yes this car can rattle and squeak some. I have one or two that still irk me. I live with it most of the time. I feel better that I have looked over my car more closely now, everything seems to be...OK for now. Cleaned and polished/waxed spent a whole day doing just that. Ready to run for another season from here on out.

Was hoping to make a short run tomorrow to see the grandson play baseball. The weather may not cooperate though. Next weekend it's off to Summit Point Motorsports Park for the Jefferson 500. Some old school race cars from days gone by. 4 day event always something going on for the fans.

Have a plan and stick to it with your car. Check before the driving season. Check before storage. Check during the driving season. Even a quick check before you make a day run somewhere. You never know until you look, lubricate, tighten and clean something whether all is A'Ok with your Kappa. Minor annoying squeak or rattle to something that might be a major concern for your checkbook/Mastercard later.

LAC
a280z likes this.

Last edited by LAC Sky; 05-10-2019 at 06:56 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
While we're on this topic, I have an annoying intermittent dash rattle from somewhere in the vicinity of the speedo.

Any suggestions?

2008 Red Line
Chili Pepper with special order red/black leather
Five speed
Chrome wheels
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I work at a mattress store. I put a small chunk of memory foam on each side, where the hood meets the base of the windshield. That completely eliminated multiple squeaks and rattles up front. There are still a few behind me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
While we're on this topic, I have an annoying intermittent dash rattle from somewhere in the vicinity of the speedo.

Any suggestions?
Mine rattles there unless I push on the bezel, so I have a rolled-up piece of black electrical tape stuffed between the bottom of the bezel and the clear lens. The tension stops the rattle and it is basically invisible.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in