Started my timing/balancer chain and.... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Started my timing/balancer chain and....

So I've managed to get the valve cover without breaking anything, striping anything out and not having the "one bolt syndrome" that always plagues me. You know that syndrome...that one bolt that won't come loose out of 8 of them?? (Hooray! small victories for me!!!) A few questions...

1. Does anyone remember what year had the most issues with their chain guides and which guide it was? I always thought it was the late '07 and early '08s (GXPs) that were pretty common around the 80k mark IMSMC.

2. Now that I have the valve cover off, I'm noticing that the rear intake camshaft (the lobs) is really "blued" compared to the other 3 cylinders.....is this normal???

When I'm done, I'll report back as to whether I think a shade tree, backyard mechanic can do this. So far, it's just been tedious, "remove this, remove that" type of stuff. The fun has yet to begin with the front of the engine with its bazillion hoses and wires that have to be taken off just to get the front cover off.....wish me luck!

Last edited by The_Ghost; 05-19-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Ghost, just started doing the same to mine this weekend. I have everything removed. 100,000 mile car. Guides showed little to no wear at all except one of the chains was rubbing the side of the guide for the other chain. One of the guides looked like the chain runs on it all the time but still very little wear. The other guides look like the chain never touched them.

I will look at the camshaft next weekend. Mine is a mid year '07

Also note, one of the guide mounting bolts was not even finger tight.

Larry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
So I've managed to get the valve cover without breaking anything, striping anything out and not having the "one bolt syndrome" that always plagues me. You know that syndrome...that one bolt that won't come loose out of 8 of them?? (Hooray! small victories for me!!!)

The technical term for that "one bolt" (Whether it doesn't want to come off, is incredibly hard to get to, or any other trait that makes it far more of a monumental pain in the arse than it should be) is "The Bitch Bolt".

There's always one. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
The bluing of the camshaft lobe certainly doesn't sound normal. Got pics?

EDIT: Here's a video of a 2.2 Ecotec and you can see some bluing at the 42 second mark. Looks quite normal to me. He obviously has a loose chain though...

Last edited by Sly Bob; 05-20-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Here's a pic....You can't really tell how blue it actually is compared to the others. The pic doesn't do it justice, but you can see the difference from it to the others....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blue haze.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	105199  

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in