Stock tune? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Stock tune?

I have a 2007 redline and am looking to get it tuned. It is completely stock and will stay that way. I have the same issue allot of people have with the car hesitating if you just Stomp on it. If I hit the pedal slower it goes great. I just want it to be a little more responsive. Any recommendations?

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Tinted side & back windows
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Throttle lag

if you are just having throttle lag, which is very noticeable on manual transmission, I recommend using the Sprint Booster product. I've installed it on my 07 2.4L stick shift and no more lag works great! Down shift throttle matching is right on and no more sloppy up shifts. It changes throttle response TIME it's not a performance enhancer. Some folks out there say they'll just push the pedal farther down,that might work on an automatic or turbocharged car but this is a matter of response. Of course run a diagnostic test for trouble codes, a sticky throttle body, bad sensors ,or a faulty catalytic converter can really gum up the works. Good luck.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh yeah

Make sure you are getting proper turbo boost!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
I have a 2007 redline and am looking to get it tuned. It is completely stock and will stay that way. I have the same issue allot of people have with the car hesitating if you just Stomp on it. If I hit the pedal slower it goes great. I just want it to be a little more responsive. Any recommendations?
When you say "tuned" are you referring to the tune that will give you more power (making the car no-longer-stock) or just having it tuned-up to return to like-new performance?

To get back to "new" you are mainly looking at plug replacement, but it may also be necessary to have the intake valves and maybe the throttle body cleaned.

I would not waste money on a Sprint Booster.
Robotech and a280z like this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstoycar View Post
if you are just having throttle lag, which is very noticeable on manual transmission, I recommend using the Sprint Booster product. I've installed it on my 07 2.4L stick shift and no more lag works great! Down shift throttle matching is right on and no more sloppy up shifts. It changes throttle response TIME it's not a performance enhancer. Some folks out there say they'll just push the pedal farther down,that might work on an automatic or turbocharged car but this is a matter of response. Of course run a diagnostic test for trouble codes, a sticky throttle body, bad sensors ,or a faulty catalytic converter can really gum up the works. Good luck.
Sorry....any type of "enhancers" don't really work on the 2.0L turbo cars.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I don’t really care about gaining horse power or modifying anything. I just want a quicker response when I do hit the pedal instead of a cough and then go. It is an automatic 28k miles. I bought it with 17,800 on it and it has always been that way. Like the car is making sure that I meant to stomp on the pedal before it goes. If I ease into it it’s great and goes it is only a problem when I stomp on it quick.

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Get the Trifecta canned tune. The throttle response will be sharper, but more than that, you don't think you want that extra power until you have it.
a280z likes this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I don’t really care about gaining horse power or modifying anything. I just want a quicker response when I do hit the pedal instead of a cough and then go. It is an automatic 28k miles. I bought it with 17,800 on it and it has always been that way. Like the car is making sure that I meant to stomp on the pedal before it goes. If I ease into it it’s great and goes it is only a problem when I stomp on it quick.
There should not be a cough before the go. Intake valves and/or throttle body cleaning, and new plugs would be the first steps. How old is the air filter?

John
Lexington, KY
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
There should not be a cough before the go. Intake valves and/or throttle body cleaning, and new plugs would be the first steps. How old is the air filter?
Air filter is only 3 months, the car sits all winter here in Michigan. Should I run some cleaner through it in the spring? Should I need plugs at 28k?

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
Get the Trifecta canned tune. The throttle response will be sharper, but more than that, you don't think you want that extra power until you have it.
I don’t want to compromise my engine for more power. Sure the power would be nice but it seems like everyone here plays for more power and their engine blows. I’m not into that I just want it to run good.

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:15 PM

Realistically you shouldn't need anything at 28k, but it is also over 10 years old.

Running cleaner through it won't accomplish anything. The RL engine is direct injection and the fuel never touches the valves or throttle body.

John
Lexington, KY
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
I don’t want to compromise my engine for more power. Sure the power would be nice but it seems like everyone here plays for more power and their engine blows. I’m not into that I just want it to run good.
I'm not aware of anyone who has had an internal engine failure when running completely stock components when using the Trifecta canned tune. It's similar to the GMPP tune--the car was basically setup from the factory for that level of power. It's anecdotal, but I've had the Trifecta tune on my car for nearly 30K miles and I drive the car very aggressively, and am not at all shy to take it to the redline once the engine is warmed up. Knock on wood, it still runs perfectly.
Robotech and a280z like this.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have seen zero reports of either the factory GMPP tune or the basic Trifecta canned tune causing any issues, much less blown engines. If you have any evidence behind your statement I'd be interested in hearing it.
a280z likes this.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wrong Plugs from factory

First thing would be to verify that you have the correct plugs in it. My 2007 GXP had the cold plugs in it from the factory and it stuttered. 41-108 plugs are the correct plugs... DO NOT TOUCH THE END OF THE PLUG! That will most likely solve the problem. But if you want to upgrade the tune... The engine can handle a lot. Bore the turbo $700, larger charge pipes and cold air $350. 600 hp cooler $500. It will be twice the car you have now.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
I have seen zero reports of either the factory GMPP tune or the basic Trifecta canned tune causing any issues, much less blown engines. If you have any evidence behind your statement I'd be interested in hearing it.
My statement was not against gmpp or trifecta. It is against all the guys that want more and more and don’t stop till it blows. I want to keep everything stock and have my car run good AND keep it at a safe amount of power for the engine. Not sure what you read but it’s ok I just made it more clear if you need that. I will check and replace plugs first. Open to any suggestions. Thanks

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in