Stock tune? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
General Saturn Sky Discussion Forum for discussing general topics on the Saturn SKY.

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysellsrv View Post
First thing would be to verify that you have the correct plugs in it. My 2007 GXP had the cold plugs in it from the factory and it stuttered. 41-108 plugs are the correct plugs... DO NOT TOUCH THE END OF THE PLUG! That will most likely solve the problem. But if you want to upgrade the tune... The engine can handle a lot. Bore the turbo $700, larger charge pipes and cold air $350. 600 hp cooler $500. It will be twice the car you have now.
How difficult is it to change the plugs I don’t mind just replacing them. I have not even looked at this engine and won’t till spring. What do I need to know to change plugs on these cars? I have the 2.0 and have not found any videos for it.

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Tinted side & back windows
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
How difficult is it to change the plugs I don’t mind just replacing them. I have not even looked at this engine and won’t till spring. What do I need to know to change plugs on these cars? I have the 2.0 and have not found any videos for it.
30 min job max. Take the plastic cover off (it pulls off, no bolts) undo the coils (a harness plug and 10mm bolt for each) and pop them off, then your plugs are exposed and ready to come out.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockchops View Post
30 min job max. Take the plastic cover off (it pulls off, no bolts) undo the coils (a harness plug and 10mm bolt for each) and pop them off, then your plugs are exposed and ready to come out.
Thanks can’t wait till spring. 41-108 delco plugs good?

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears

Last edited by Buddy; 11-26-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a 2007 redline and am looking to get it tuned. It is completely stock and will stay that way. I have the same issue allot of people have with the car hesitating if you just Stomp on it. If I hit the pedal slower it goes great. I just want it to be a little more responsive. Any recommendations?
Quote:
I want to keep everything stock and have my car run good AND keep it at a safe amount of power for the engine. Not sure what you read but it’s ok I just made it more clear if you need that. I will check and replace plugs first. Open to any suggestions. Thanks
What I read is what you wrote in your first post--that you want the canned tune for your car. The canned tune is completely safe, and dramatically improves the throttle response. The power level is well within the acceptable threshold for this engine, GM specifically designed the entire drive train for that level of power, and then offered a version of it themselves through their retail channel.

The factory tune is setup to maintain safe traction for most drivers. If I mash the gas down in my car with the tune active in first or second and it's anything but a warm day with sticky pavement, the back end will step out. Not ideal for many drivers, hence, the eased throttle response in the stock software.

The plugs are not the problem--the factory plugs have never been out of my car and it runs fine. But, on my car, and any of these cars, if you switch the tune off, the throttle response is clearly slower.

Good luck.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
What I read is what you wrote in your first post--......
Read what he wrote in post #6 : "Cough and go" is not normal behavior. I have a stock RL and it does not cough, it just goes.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Read what he wrote in post #6 : "Cough and go" is not normal behavior. I have a stock RL and it does not cough, it just goes.
Agree - I've never experienced that. It does happen on my wife's Mazda 3, and usually when turning a corner. so very inconvenient when making a left turn with oncoming traffic....(the factory mechanics are clueless, sadly).

Buddy, there is something amiss with you car (nothing to do with the tune/program, I would think) and you need to get to the bottom of it. Sorry I don't have any specific suggestions for you, but there are number of people on here that may have dealt with this before and will hopefully pipe up.

Might want to review this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMmcARsAsbA

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 11-26-2019 at 01:20 PM.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Ah... I see... you want perfect throttle response, not gonna happen in a Sky. Go buy a Tesla M3, I never have any hesitation and 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
mstrjon32 and a280z like this.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Still not convinced it's a real hesitation--his first post didn't mention anything about that. We'll have to see what he says when he chimes back in...
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It is a real hesitation. From a 20mph roll you stomp it to the floor it goes. From a dead stop or 5mph it hesitates or coughs if I smash it to the floor. It picks it self up and goes but hesitation doesn’t seem necessary.

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
It is a real hesitation. From a 20mph roll you stomp it to the floor it goes. From a dead stop or 5mph it hesitates or coughs if I smash it to the floor. It picks it self up and goes but hesitation doesn’t seem necessary.
Are you sure it's not a traction control thing? Press the traction control button twice, and see if it still happens. If that clears the issue, you are just starting to spin the tires and traction control takes over.

Kansas Bill
2008 Silver Red Line
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Bill View Post
Are you sure it's not a traction control thing? Press the traction control button twice, and see if it still happens. If that clears the issue, you are just starting to spin the tires and traction control takes over.
No it’s not traction. You actually lean forward when it does it. In order to take off quick I need to ease into it

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
I'm wondering if you just have a gummed-up throttle butterfly? It's sticking at the point when it is fully closed.

You could try taking the the rubber intake hose off and squirting into the throttle body with TB cleaner. Un-gunk it.
mstrjon32 likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
No it’s not traction. You actually lean forward when it does it. In order to take off quick I need to ease into it
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I'm wondering if you just have a gummed-up throttle butterfly? It's sticking at the point when it is fully closed.

You could try taking the the rubber intake hose off and squirting into the throttle body with TB cleaner. Un-gunk it.
OK--I'm convinced now that it's not normal behavior. (Though, once you get it sorted out you still should get the tune.) I would do what TomatoSoup said and start by cleaning the throttle body. But, this is an automatic, right? Are you also getting a downshift with the "choking?" What if you shift it down into what would be the target gear before you mash the throttle? Is it still doing it?
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I will try cleaning it first thing in the spring then I will report here and continue this saga. Thanks everyone and have a great thanksgiving.

Buddy ¯¯¯REDLINE___

07 Bluestone
Stubby antenna
Homelink opener
Brembo caliper covers
Pinstripe
Red LEDs in side vents
Sky logo glove box
Hood and trunk Lights
chrome side spears
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
I sometimes turn the Trifecta tune off just to get used to how slow it was before. Then I turn it back on and smile.

The initial throttle hesitation was slightly present on my car but half a can of seafoam through the intake (and a plug change) fixed that mostly - could have been the butterfly valve or could have been a combination of carbon build up due to GDI. The throttle response now while in Trifecta tune mode is as good as I can expect, it's still not that great with the tune turned off. No issues with engine after 20k miles. Still considering water injection for the hot Florida summers and continuous cleaning of carbon from intake valves.

I hear you on indiscriminately wanting more and more, and how that is a bad philosophy with no set goal of "I'll be happy with this". Trifecta got me to that happy point, any more power for my goals would be pointless for this car. I don't see it as a problem for reliability, nor have I experienced any issues from it other than requiring better band clamps for the increased boost. The GMPP official tune was covered by the factory the warranty so the platform is definitely designed with that power level in mind. The only additional thing I may consider is gutting the cat right after the turbo. Too much heat is retained, and probably some flow issues. The heat appears to be one of the main factors for waterpump issues (probably bakes the seals).

One thing that could be happening is, you have a small boost leak, either from previously mentioned band clamps for the charge pipes/intercooler, or the factory intercooler end tank having a corrosion or ballooning crack. Get an OBD2 reader, and pair it to the Torque app (Android, not sure about iOS) and post your Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT). Might see an issue if they are far from expected.
Sky_Pilot likes this.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > General Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in